New Mexico State and Idaho's Sun Belt Future | The Boneyard

New Mexico State and Idaho's Sun Belt Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Mike Prater ‏@IDS_Prater 2h2 hours ago
Commish Karl Benson on the Vandals' future in the Sun Belt: "This is a performance-based business and performance counts.''

Troy Schulte‏@TroySchulteADG
Benson leaving the door open for a SBC without Idaho and New Mexico State as football members. Agreements are up for renewal after this yr.

Edited to add in the NMSU content as well.

Uh oh. There is no way that Idaho can survive as an Independent in FBS football. They might be the first one to drop down from FBS to FCS.

Reaction Score
Commish Karl Benson on the Vandals' future in the Sun Belt: "This is a performance-based business and performance counts.''

Benson leaving the door open for a SBC without Idaho and New Mexico State as football members. Agreements are up for renewal after this yr.

Uh oh. There is no way that Idaho can survive as an Independent in FBS football. They might be the first one to drop down from FBS to FCS.

Maybe the best for them. Idaho can go back to playing FCS power Montana, E Washintgon, etc. Not everyone is going to surive this.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Almost sounds like they liked the cut of Eastern Kentucky's jib and are trying to create a little space to get the conference back into Kentucky. Those two schools have weird agreements with the conference and I don't think they should plan to be part of it after 2017.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So is being hundreds of miles from its conference opponents good or bad?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Almost sounds like they liked the cut of Eastern Kentucky's jib and are trying to create a little space to get the conference back into Kentucky. Those two schools have weird agreements with the conference and I don't think they should plan to be part of it after 2017.

EKU +NMSU full members a possibility? NMSU would be great for their basketball (which would rise to 14) bringing NCAA tournament credits/money to the league

Reaction Score
New Mexico State is a half hour drive from El Paso. When I toured their campus a few years ago when I was there for a wedding, my thought was that they should be conference mates with UTEP. Then reality hit me when I thought about the distance between the campuses of UMass & UConn.

Reaction Score
New Mexico State is a half hour drive from El Paso. When I toured their campus a few years ago when I was there for a wedding, my thought was that they should be conference mates with UTEP. Then reality hit me when I thought about the distance between the campuses of UMass & UConn.
If you want to see sanity look at UConn's Field Hockey schedule. They don't have to get on a plane for any road game except Georgetown in Washington, DC and even then they could bus it there if they wanted.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-fieldh/sched/conn-w-fieldh-sched.html

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Coastal Carolina (Myrtle Beach) joining the SB for everything except football next year and football the following year adds an east coast school on the rise. And in the sub belt no less! Looks like they're proactively replacing Idaho and NMSU already.

Reaction Score

What were your thoughts on NMSU's campus? Be careful what you say, I am a alum!

Reaction Score
What were your thoughts on NMSU's campus? Be careful what you say, I am a alum!
Liked it. That sombrero shaped stadium was cool. Campus reminded me a little of UConn's campus. I thought that if I was a resident of Greater El Paso, I'd prefer that campus to UTEP's.

Reaction Score

Rutgers and Maryland completely and outright destroy that claim.

Markets (and recruiting grounds as well) trump performance. It's performance-based for Idaho and New Mexico State because it's frickin Idaho and New Mexico.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I could see a number of factors (such as declining to extend these two) as reasons that doom the Sun Belt. I have heard that UL-Monroe and UL-Lafayaette (among other Louisiana schools) could lose accreditation (and thus NCAA status), and another conference (the MAC or C-USA or both) could swoop in and steal 2-4 schools in an effort to leave the remaining schools stranded (because 4-6 schools is not enough for an FBS conference) as independents or forced to drop down to FCS. The G5 could become the G4.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yikes. Top ten stadium. Really.

It looks like a seventh graders PowerPoint presentation on something. They don't have any meaningful data so they just say "it's fun!!!"

Reaction Score
Well ...

Amazingly, the AMERICAN is the clear Number One in the Group of 5. But, then, the MAC beat out the Mountain West. That has to be an embarrassment for that.

Reaction Score
I could see a number of factors (such as declining to extend these two) as reasons that doom the Sun Belt. I have heard that UL-Monroe and UL-Lafayaette (among other Louisiana schools) could lose accreditation (and thus NCAA status), and another conference (the MAC or C-USA or both) could swoop in and steal 2-4 schools in an effort to leave the remaining schools stranded (because 4-6 schools is not enough for an FBS conference) as independents or forced to drop down to FCS. The G5 could become the G4.

If there is one thing I can guaranty you, not one college football executive is rubbing his palms together and saying "Wow, what can I do to drive a stake through the heart of the Sunbelt."

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If there is one thing I can guaranty you, not one college football executive is rubbing his palms together and saying "Wow, what can I do to drive a stake through the heart of the Sunbelt."
Actually, I could see the other G4s saying that as they would likely get a little more money if the money is split 4 ways instead of 5 (though the P5 will want more as well).

Reaction Score

Are you familiar with the ACC? They never pass an opportunity to drive a stake through another conference's heart regardless of the long term business ramifications.

Right now Swofford is drawing up his blitzkrieg assault for the Sunbelt...BC is probably leading the frontal wedge.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Are you familiar with the ACC? They never pass an opportunity to drive a stake through another conference's heart regardless of the long term business ramifications.

Right now Swofford is drawing up his blitzkrieg assault for the Sunbelt...BC is probably leading the frontal wedge.

BC: "Maybe we can steal a team we can beat..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69