New Member - Hello and Question | The Boneyard

New Member - Hello and Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hi! I've been a lurker for over a year now... love the discussions on here, and find all my UCONN news here too! Can't believe I didn't discover this til last summer!

Here's a bit about me - I've been a huge UCONN fan since the early 2000s, and went to first game on senior night 2004 and I've gone to all the Gampel games since. It may not be a long time for some of you, but I'm a millennial, so I was still a kid/teenager then!

Anyways, what finally got me to join is a question for the statistics people - the ones who know all the records and stats and everything. Where do you primarily get all your data? Especially that prior to ~2000 (is the data prior to then in digital form?) I found some archives on the uconnhuskies.com site, and some NCAA data. What do you use mostly? I'm a data person and want to play around with some fun data when I have time!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Welcome. You will love it here.

Keep posting and keep a sense of humor and you'll fit right in.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I am sometimes "anti-stat", but one source of data is WBBState, an inexpensive pay site that does a lot with RPI, tracks referees (something I'm into) and has some history.

I've only done one particular thing with it, but if you haven't discovered it, there is a career statistics page available through the NCAA for both coaches and players in a wide variety of sports. I use it for coaches records, as I keep spreadsheets of the coaches at all the major conference schools in the sports that I follow.

Also, as a source of information, the NCAA records book if it pertains to your interests. Available as a download.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Trust me on this. Most statistics in sports are made up, and if you are a fan.... well, they just don't matter. The only tings that matter, and why so many, many fans hate UConn, are the scores at the end of the games and how those scores turn into conference championships and NCAA Regional Championships, Semis and Nat'l Championships. You see, individual stats don't matter, so DD can knock herself out and probably will, but at the end of the day the scoreboard will read UC Won Opponent 0 and Jonathan Husky will curl up by the fire and next year's and the year after's and the year after's will go to sleep thinking: I wanna be a Husky.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Welcome - the Uconn department site has two primary sources for data - the 'history' tab that has the year by year roster and results and cumulative stats for most years from 2000 on but some of the links are dead so for example the 2002 cumulative stats link just redirects back to the main page. The other source is the Media Guide link that is a book that used to be published but I believe only is available on-line now. It has various sections to it that come in handy - there is the records section that has individual year and career leaders in lots of categories and team records, as well as records by class year for players. At the end is every player in Uconn history listed with their yearly totals and cumulative total for their career. There are also Uconn records against ever opponent and Uconn yearly results.

The other obvious location is the NCAA Womens basketball D1 record book that they update every year:
http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-womens-basketball-records-books

There is also on the NCAA site various other statistical records including final four record books.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Also of note is that on the UConn annual media guides, there is a ton of UConn-specific data.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Welcome, I use wbbstate for all my statistics needs. Don't know how far back their data goes, though. It's the only place I know of for advanced wcbb stats and of course has all the standard stats as well.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
welcome,hope you enjoy and participate

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard. I'm not a statistical person. Although UCONN is UCONN (and I can't wait). I'll typically toss them and pick David against Goliath. Google: North Carolina State versus Phi Slamma Jamma. I think you'll love the fact that so many Boneyarders love minutiae as much as you do.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the replies everyone! wbbstate looks neat, but I'm kinda cheap lol. I'll start elsewhere. Just looking for something neat to do in the off season I suppose.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard as an "official" member. We look forward to your participation.

Reaction Score
Millenial, new members are always welcome hear on the boneyard. Do not hesitate to voice you're opinion on any topic.

Reaction Score
Hi! I've been a lurker for over a year now... love the discussions on here, and find all my UCONN news here too! Can't believe I didn't discover this til last summer!

Here's a bit about me - I've been a huge UCONN fan since the early 2000s, and went to first game on senior night 2004 and I've gone to all the Gampel games since. It may not be a long time for some of you, but I'm a millennial, so I was still a kid/teenager then!

Anyways, what finally got me to join is a question for the statistics people - the ones who know all the records and stats and everything. Where do you primarily get all your data? Especially that prior to ~2000 (is the data prior to then in digital form?) I found some archives on the uconnhuskies.com site, and some NCAA data. What do you use mostly? I'm a data person and want to play around with some fun data when I have time!

Welcome and thanks for joining. We desperately need more millennials on this board. A demographical analysis of this site recently revealed that the majority of its members fall into the category of either geezers, old coots or duffers, myself included.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard. Hope you like it here. However, don't say we didn't warn you.

Turn_Back_Now.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm relatively new here myself and I've found that with very few exceptions the group is tolerant of the opinions of others, so you should feel free to offer your perspective on the team, it's players, its coaches and the state of the sport in general.

I've followed the team closely since '94 and I'm interested in the program's past, its present, and its future, but one thing that you'll find is that many posters here are expert in the minutia of Huskie history and are very involved in tracking the performances of potential recruits, so be prepared to be corrected occasionally and to learn a great deal about our communal passion.

And lastly this group needs as many "young" voices as it can get, so as has been said by others, welcome aboard.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And just a few things to be aware of:
1. Generally we are a pretty sarcastic bunch/try for humor - the emoticons (accessed through the smiley face on the top of the posting) is a good way to indicate you are not being serious when you write something - but not everyone uses them all the time. :confused:

2. On the lower right of posts are a 'like' and a 'reply' button. Everyone likes getting a 'like' and those who have liked a post are listed in blue on the post. The reply copies the post into a new posting and you can choose to edit a long post down to a particular section, or highlight a particular part of a post using the 'B' or other tools on the top line. As long as you do not disturb the [ ___ ]s at the top and bottom of the copied text, the original will remain as a boxed section in your new post (see Milford Husky's post above.) You can also choose to reply within the text of the original post, but usually that is hard to follow so I seldom choose that option.

3. If something strikes you as offensive you can use the 'report' button in the lower left to bring it to the moderators attention - a drastic step, but if it is offensive to you it is a way to get them to at least look at it. I have self reported myself when I started a thread that I thought might not be appropriate, or when I posted something that I thought might be at the edge of board rules. The Mods are great here.

4. A less drastic step or a way to pursue a conversation that might be tangential to the board is to private message someone or more than one person - you can initiate that by clicking on a posters name and selecting 'start a conversation'.

5. And if someone really rubs you the wrong way you can 'ignore' them - click on the posters name and select ignore - drastic as you will then not see their posts and might lose the thread of some discussions. Easier just not to read their posts.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

A very good starting place to find statistics on our favorite sport is the NCAA Women's BBall stat page
There's a drop-down at the top right allowing you to select D2 or D3 as well as D1. Clicking on a stat header (e.g. "Rebounds Per Game" or "Scoring Defense") on that page takes you to a full list of the rankings for that stat. That page has links for all the stat lists kept for that category (individual or team). The team lists include every team in the division.

At the lower right of the starting page are links to the official statistician's manual (so you can see what the stats are really supposed to mean), attendance figures, NCAA tournament results, the record book, etc.

At the bottom, you can search for a particular player or coach. It only works for me occasionally, other times it takes me to http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careersearch which always works, and also allows you to search by team/sport/year.

If you search on Geno's name and click through to the page with his record, a click on the "UConn" or the team record for a particular year will bring you to either a photo of the official annual stat sheet (for the early years) or a page containing cumulative player stats that can be sorted on any stat. If you click on the "Team Totals" link on one of the latter pages, it takes you to a page containing summary stats for the years since 1998, again sortable. (Did you know the 1998-9 team had 948 FT attempts? Yow!) At the bottom of this page is the team ranking in every stat for the year you started with. Each stat is clickable, and takes you to the list for that stat for that year. Whew!

Here is another starting point: The UConn WBB team record page listing every year since 1982.

Here's one more starting point: my link page. (Please report if something is broken here, the NCAA moves things around on a regular basis)

Have fun!

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
One final thing: I maintain a spreadsheet containing the box scores for each UConn WBB game through the year, and a calculation of each statistic for each player on a per-40-minute basis.

The detail sheets for the last couple of years, summary (no game stats) sheets for a few earlier years and blank sheets you can use for your own purposes are found on my download page.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A very good starting place to find statistics on our favorite sport is the NCAA Women's BBall stat page
There's a drop-down at the top right allowing you to select D2 or D3 as well as D1. Clicking on a stat header (e.g. "Rebounds Per Game" or "Scoring Defense") on that page takes you to a full list of the rankings for that stat. That page has links for all the stat lists kept for that category (individual or team). The team lists include every team in the division.

At the lower right of the starting page are links to the official statistician's manual (so you can see what the stats are really supposed to mean), attendance figures, NCAA tournament results, the record book, etc.

At the bottom, you can search for a particular player or coach. It only works for me occasionally, other times it takes me to http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careersearch which always works, and also allows you to search by team/sport/year.

If you search on Geno's name and click through to the page with his record, a click on the "UConn" or the team record for a particular year will bring you to either a photo of the official annual stat sheet (for the early years) or a page containing cumulative player stats that can be sorted on any stat. If you click on the "Team Totals" link on one of the latter pages, it takes you to a page containing summary stats for the years since 1998, again sortable. (Did you know the 1998-9 team had 948 FT attempts? Yow!) At the bottom of this page is the team ranking in every stat for the year you started with. Each stat is clickable, and takes you to the list for that stat for that year. Whew!

Here is another starting point: The UConn WBB team record page listing every year since 1982.

Here's one more starting point: my link page. (Please report if something is broken here, the NCAA moves things around on a regular basis)

Have fun!
JRRRJ: I so very much appreciate your posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom