New Geno Q&A | The Boneyard

New Geno Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You can teach an old dog new tricks.

"I think my experience with the national team has really given me much better perspective on how little control you have over the emotions of your team. You can affect their emotions obviously but the pros taught me, 'Coach, just put us in the right situation and leave the rest up to us. We are the ones that have to win that game.' Now I take that approach with my [UConn] team. I will put them in a position to be successful and give them all the tools they need to be successful but in the end, I really have no control over whether they are able to carry that out or not. I can't control it. Years ago I used to think I can control the outcome of these games and how each one of my players played. I would get incredibly upset and frustrated and angry when I felt like I could not get it done that way and it affected my ability to coach. Now I have a completely different outlook on it. It's calmed me down and made me a much better coach."

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Yes, truly a great read!

UCONN is lucky to have him as our coach!

Reaction Score
Interesting comment concerning how long he would coach.

"if I could coach Stefanie Dolson or Bria Hartley or Breanna Stewart or those types of kids -- the group that I have now for the most part -- if I was guaranteed that I would those kind of kids, then I could coach indefinitely."

I guess it is getting harder to find kids that want to be truly coached.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Think about how fortunate UConn was to have Jim Calhoun. Now imagine how foreign Geno's statements about his relationship with KO would be if they were in reference to Calhoun. How refreshing is this?

Auriemma: We play golf, talk a lot, and spend time together. Obviously I am much older than he is and I've been coaching a long time and he is much newer at it. So there is a lot that we get from each other. I like to ask about how things are done in the NBA and he likes to ask about how you handle being in the NCAA tournament. To me, it is a normal relationship at a great school that is trying to win a national championship. I love the guy. I think he is genuine, he's honest, hardworking, enthusiastic, passionate. I enjoy his company.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting comment concerning how long he would coach.

"if I could coach Stefanie Dolson or Bria Hartley or Breanna Stewart or those types of kids -- the group that I have now for the most part -- if I was guaranteed that I would those kind of kids, then I could coach indefinitely."

I guess it is getting harder to find kids that want to be truly coached.
Ahh ,,, that is just 60 talking! I think more accurately, with the talent level required to play at Uconn which continues to get rarer air, the pool of potential of candidates has shrunk and his chance to get them to come to CT now he is competing with more than just TN is diminished.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Think about how fortunate UConn was to have Jim Calhoun. Now imagine how foreign Geno's statements about his relationship with KO would be if they were in reference to Calhoun. How refreshing is this?
Auriemma: We play golf, talk a lot, and spend time together. Obviously I am much older than he is and I've been coaching a long time and he is much newer at it. So there is a lot that we get from each other. I like to ask about how things are done in the NBA and he likes to ask about how you handle being in the NCAA tournament. To me, it is a normal relationship at a great school that is trying to win a national championship. I love the guy. I think he is genuine, he's honest, hardworking, enthusiastic, passionate. I enjoy his company.
Generational issue I think - Calhoun cut his teeth in an AD where you didn't have to defer to a women's team in anything. Then title IX and then he comes to Uconn and the bleeding women want time on his court, and then they go out win an NC and now they get all the recognition, and he see signs 'Geno is God'!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Generational issue I think - Calhoun cut his teeth in an AD where you didn't have to defer to a women's team in anything. Then title IX and then he comes to Uconn and the bleeding women want time on his court, and then they go out win an NC and now they get all the recognition, and he see signs 'Geno is God'!!!
I always assumed that type of thing started the rift between them- court times and maybe strength and conditioning desired times, etc... Was this it????

Reaction Score
Generational? Aren't they only like a dozen years apart in age?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Generational? Aren't they only like a dozen years apart in age?
But Geno chose to coach women (go figure!) and then he didn't defer to the real coaches (what!)
The generational was referring to KO - who played at CT having to work around a very popular women's team with whom he probably was friendly and has never know a college environment that existed pre title IX.

Reaction Score
As has been said, this was a wonderful interview. As good as Geno's responses were, I was also really impressed with the questions. Whoever prepared the questions did a fine job and Geno was obviously in fine form. There are very few people who I enjoy listening to more than Geno. He's frank, he's clever, he's funny, he's thoughtful! He can earn some serious money as a speaker after his retirement. I know I'd pay to hear him! Multiple times!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
How fortunate is Ollie to have his own basketball experience and two terrific coaches like Calhoun and Geno to interact with on a regular basis. How lucky is UConn to still have Geno and Ollie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Passive aggressive shot at Calhoun? I personally the difference is humility. KO as the younger guy is humble guy to reaching out to anyone for info and not letting his ego get in the way. I think Geno chose not to assume that role and that was the core of lack of rapport.

Reaction Score
I like the last line. Hopefully we can get more Stefs, Brias, and Stewies.

Reaction Score
Passive aggressive shot at Calhoun? I personally the difference is humility. KO as the younger guy is humble guy to reaching out to anyone for info and not letting his ego get in the way. I think Geno chose not to assume that role and that was the core of lack of rapport.

It is hard to talk about this without making judgments. The words come value-loaded: KO didn't "let his ego get in the way". (So somebody did?) Reading UCMiami's excellent take on generational issues helps put it in perspective: Calhoun developed in an era before women's coaches expected things real coaches had, and could even gain more respect and following than his or her school's men's coach enjoys. This didn't just NOT HAPPEN, it was virtually INCONCEIVABLE. (So you're implying somebody became jealous?)

I think this is one of the best threads in a long time, and really Geno started it. We owe him in so many ways.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Geno and Jim just did not mesh. An Italian from Philly vs an Irishman from Boston.

Both have big egos, can be very abrasive, and walk around like they are the dogs balls. It's no surprise they weren't best friends.

Contrary to popular belief, they weren't enemies either. They respected each other, but just didn't have any relationship.

Whoever posted about Ollie's humility probably has something there. Neither Geno or Jim (especially the younger versions) had that same quality that Ollie has.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is hard to talk about this without making judgments. The words come value-loaded: KO didn't "let his ego get in the way". (So somebody did?) Reading UCMiami's excellent take on generational issues helps put it in perspective: Calhoun developed in an era before women's coaches expected things real coaches had, and could even gain more respect and following than his or her school's men's coach enjoys. This didn't just NOT HAPPEN, it was virtually INCONCEIVABLE. (So you're implying somebody became jealous?)

I think this is one of the best threads in a long time, and really Geno started it. We owe him in so many ways.
Good discussion. I think to be extraordinarily successful at anything you have be extremely confident in yourself and that self-confidence can be perceived as ego. Both Jim and Geno are pretty confident guys, deservedly so. When I talk about Kevin Ollie's humility, that's a complement at Kevin and not a shot anyone else. I think he is fairly unique to couple confidence in his abilities with a collegial humbleness. We were fortunate have both Calhoun and Auriema at our university. And though he's got a ways to go before he can be considered a peer of Calhoun or Auriema (amazing since he already has a national championship), I think Kevin may get there as well. It was amazing and unlikely that lightening could have struck twice at our university with Geno and Jim but it sure as heck seems like it has struck a third time in Ollie.

Regarding Geno and Jim, it my understanding from someone with more intimate knowledge than me, that Calhoun kind of expected Geno to "kiss the ring" and Geno having arrived a year earlier had no intention of doing so. That difference in expectation paved the way for a little distance between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom