New FBS Conference forming from WAC/ASUN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New FBS Conference forming from WAC/ASUN

Reaction Score
-> The schools that have signed on to join the league are WAC football members Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Utah Tech, Southern Utah and Tarleton State and Atlantic Sun football members Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and North Alabama.

UT Rio Grande Valley, which recently announced it is starting a program, is also expected to join in 2025 in that program's first season as the league's 10th member. <-

It’ll help w/ UConn scheduling options… LOL.
In the spirit of the Holiday season, I read this as those institutions are denizens on the Island of misfit toys & want a ride on Santa's (read ESPN) fiscal sleigh...

Reaction Score
Content will be needed for days other than Saturday. To get the money you have to play during the week. Most (all?) SEC, B1G games will be on Saturday. They have their own network and all of the games can be viewed.

During the non-football season. Content is available in basketball every night. So why does bball not drive the bus? Becuase the NCAA take is mafia like.

Anyone know the total $$$$ bet on NCAAF vs NCAAB over the course of a season or total viewership? I am curious as to which is higher.

Reaction Score
More mouths to split the CFP G5 pie for...the slices will get thinner.

There is already a movement by the P5 to "break away" a smaller FBS...more entries from the Tarleton State's, Austin Peay's and such will only fortify that.

I think that there is a chance that the P5 will end up all sports conferences for the major sports (football, baseball, basketball)...maybe four conferences....the non revenue sports can go regional since they travel differently and have far fewer fans viewing in person.

Hockey East, Soccer South, Soccer West, Lacrosse East, South, Midwest, etc.

Reaction Score
You'd be more likely to see something along the lines of (to be clear I'm not advocating for this, but it's the more realistic outcome):

UConn, UMass, Army, Delaware, Villanova, Liberty, FIU, MTSU, WKU

You're not going to pry away teams from the AAC for a football only conference, unless that conference can trumps the AAC's ~5M (football portion) payout. The MAC has a history of booting schools who are not all in and has a reasonable footprint already. C-USA schools would easily be in play though as their all-sports TV payout is close to UConn's football only deal (The Sun Belt (JMU) could be depending on what kind of TV deal UConn & Army was able to get the others).

The schedule would be decidedly less exciting and it would be massively incumbent to getting more games with Temple, BC, Rutgers, Syracuse (and other P5s from the Big Ten/ACC) where UConn has home games to build the schedule, because only Army (and to a lesser extent UMass) are ticket draws.

I actually think this ends with the termination of the FBS/FCS divide and the bowls. The rumored "G5 playoff" actually takes on the legacy of the FCS championship as a form of NIT. The 12 team playoff eventually expands to 16, but remains top 6 conference champions and at-larges. The FCS championship absorbs autobids for all conference champions not in the top-6 and the handful of at large teams remaining. Ultimately it's hard to measure a low-level FCS conference is going to upgrade, while the stronger conferences (Big Sky, MVFC & CAA) do not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom