New CVS contract | The Boneyard

New CVS contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Finally! :)

Now let's make some noise next year in the B1G.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Even if the Pay Cut is real, IMHO its a mistake to give CVS a new extension. She is no longer the coach that will get Rutgers to the Final Four. Also IMHO while they'll be competitive in the Big 10, they won't win any conference titles.

U

UCONNfan1

IF Rutgers had kept their same offense/defense that got them national recognition, but no further, I would have said it was a waste to give her an extension. But I think the past few years, especially last year, we saw a different style of play coming out of Piscataway. I don't know if Stringer is the coach to take them to the promised land, but if she can change up her offensive schemes, it makes you wonder why programs like Tennessee seem unable to be able to do so.

Reaction Score
Even if the Pay Cut is real, IMHO its a mistake to give CVS a new extension. She is no longer the coach that will get Rutgers to the Final Four. Also IMHO while they'll be competitive in the Big 10, they won't win any conference titles.

You're suggesting that there is another coach who can?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
IF Rutgers had kept their same offense/defense that got them national recognition, but no further, I would have said it was a waste to give her an extension. But I think the past few years, especially last year, we saw a different style of play coming out of Piscataway. I don't know if Stringer is the coach to take them to the promised land, but if she can change up her offensive schemes, it makes you wonder why programs like Tennessee seem unable to be able to do so.

Couldn't agree more with you.

I think perhaps last year was one of CVS's better coaching jobs that she has done in recent memory. I also think that our offense will be better next year, with the installment of 3-point shooters that we just signed, and the improvement in that area from current players.

Also, I know I'm bias but I can see us winning the B1G this up-coming season. We return 99% of last year's team, and signed a class full of 3-point shooters, also many of the top B1G teams lost their star....Maryland, Penn State etc. all lost major players.

Reaction Score
Right with you drug store guys. I didn't even open this thread originally , figuring my pharmacy had made some rapprochement with the unions or something. More hopefully, I thought maybe they were having a deal on left-over Easter candy.

Reaction Score
I agree! With Rutgers going to the B1G and CVS contract up why not make a complete break and new start with someone younger that can be there for the next 15-20 years!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree! With Rutgers going to the B1G and CVS contract up why not make a complete break and new start with someone younger that can be there for the next 15-20 years!
3 related comments:

- you maybe know someone? Absent a significant hire (and pickings are scarce) currently the primary attraction to playing at Rutgers is CVS. Her pull isn't what it used to be, but it still exists. HOF coaches don't grow on trees.
- Vivian probably makes a lot of sense as the transition coach into the B1G, since she coached much of her career there. There was an article out of Chicago that pointed out the ease of the recent annual WBB meeting, since Vivian and Brenda, both in attendance, had both been there before.
- If last year was unsuccessful, changing coaches would have been an easy decision. While not as successful as fans (and presumably the administration) might have liked, winning the WNIT kind of makes it difficult to can the coach, no?

I am a supporter of CVS, and even I considered last year make or break, as the direction of the program was not so good. With the change in offensive philosophy noted, the return of all but one player, a respectable recruit and a couple of 3 point utility players, I do expect good results next year and indeed it could be a year where we might get the B1G championship, I actually think Rutgers and Maryland will be serious competitors.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The article says that the Rutgers WCBB team has been the school's flagship program since Stringer's arrival........like thats such some great accomplishment :cool: Is Rutgers good at any sport besides WCBB ?

No offense to the Rutger's posters.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stringer has continued to recruit well, and I agree with our Rutgers posters - last year's offense was a big step in the right direction. I agree that this is a good 'transition' move and I do expect RU to compete for the B1G crown and to get back in the NCAAs. National crown, nope.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The article says that the Rutgers WCBB team has been the school's flagship program since Stringer's arrival...like thats such some great accomplishment :cool: Is Rutgers good at any sport besides WCBB ?

No offense to the Rutger's posters.
No.

Well, to clarify - Women's Soccer gets to the NCAA's some seasons. Think Carli Lloyd if I have the name correct. I would rank the program respectable. Likewise, football has risen from being one of the worst teams, to a team that expects a bowl game, but hasn't yet shown an ability to compete at the highest level. Likewise, respectable. And my understanding is that wrestling has become quite decent and had some individual wrestlers do extraordinarily well at the NC's this year.

Otherwise, I don't think any of the teams are anything to write home about. Some, like baseball and I think Men's Lacrosse, had "moments in the sun" before fading, but again, not challenging for any NC's. Men's basketball hasn't been successful since their final four run in the mid-70's.

As to WBB being the flagship program, you need to recognize that, for one 10 year span, RU WBB was by any measure (and several folks calculated it out using different metrics) one of the 10 most successful programs in the NCAA. I don't remember the exact period, but around 2000 through 2009, IIRC.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stringer's contract includes some extraordinary bonus provisions, including $500,000 if Rutgers makes one Sweet Sixteen appearance during her contract (payable after the contract expires). Think about it: win two NCAA games and she'll earn a bonus that's 70% of her base salary. That's more than most coaches make for winning a national championship!

Reaction Score
Stringer's contract includes some extraordinary bonus provisions, including $500,000 if Rutgers makes one Sweet Sixteen appearance during her contract (payable after the contract expires). Think about it: win two NCAA games and she'll earn a bonus that's 70% of her base salary. That's more than most coaches make for winning a national championship!
But the incentive is just to get her back up to a competitive salary - to make up for the pay cut - if she DOES perform.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That bonus is probably being considered a "retirement" bonus. She can only achieve it once, i.e. if she makes the Sweet 16 every year she only gets it once.

Also, the point of the other bonus payments ($100,000 for making the NCAA's) are really to make it relatively easy to earn close to what she was, while at the same time satisfying the numerous RU fans that wanted the contract incentive linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom