New Approach | The Boneyard

New Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
How about we just pay the Big12 whatever they lost by not making the playoffs to not expand?

Reaction Score
From what I understand they didn't lose much money wise.. I think it was more the fact they had teams not make the playoffs when they could/should have... in there own opinions at least.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
From what I understand they didn't lose much money wise.. I think it was more the fact they had teams not make the playoffs when they could/should have... in there own opinions at least.

I think it was like $5,000,000 by not participating (could be wrong).

On a side note, the Big12 AD's are in NYC today. I hope WM is on his way down to buy out the bar.

Reaction Score
Yup. If both Warde and Susan aren't in NYC right friggin' now, then they need to be fired.

Who's got the flight tracker up? Granted its NYC but if we ain't taking a private Jet to NYC to show off our baller status, Warde and Susan should be fired. B12Harder

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Could we offer to take no Tier 1 tv money for the next 5-10 years?

We'd get back our Tier 3 rights, so we could actually make the SNY deal.

We'd overnight sell out The Rent, Gampel and XL again.

Given were getting by with a what 2m tv a year tv deal ( yes I know exit fees too) I can't see how this would hurt us.

I can't reiterate this enough.

By any means necessary. When you're in, you're in.

Reaction Score
I think it was like $5,000,000 by not participating (could be wrong).

On a side note, the Big12 AD's are in NYC today. I hope WM is on his way down to buy out the bar.
Wasn't there a story recently about how TCU was added to he B12? Something about agreeing to expand over drinks...

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a story recently about how TCU was added to he B12? Something about agreeing to expand over drinks...

Exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Could we offer to take no Tier 1 tv money for the next 5-10 years?

We'd get back our Tier 3 rights, so we could actually make the SNY deal.

We'd overnight sell out The Rent, Gampel and XL again.

Given were getting by with a what 2m tv a year tv deal ( yes I know exit fees too) I can't see how this would hurt us.

I can't reiterate this enough.

By any means necessary. When you're in, you're in.

Agreed. RU and MD are taking partial B1G revenue payments for 5-7 years until they receive a full share. UCONN can sell all T3 to SNY and recoup money from ticket and merchandising revenue.

I don't care where the seat is, as long as we have one.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
UConn should have a presentation on their value to a conference ready to go at all times, just so they could set up a presentation on short notice.
Ooh, Powerpoint. As if these guys don't do their own research.

Reaction Score
UConn could take Oklahoma's place in the Big XII when the Sooners finally decide to jump ship. This is a consistently reoccurring meme on landthieves:
upload_2014-12-8_16-56-4.png

Reaction Score
UConn should have a presentation on their value to a conference ready to go at all times, just so they could set up a presentation on short notice.

I truly hope not. If you're polishing up your presentation for the day a confernece announces it is looking, you're behind. If this is the first time the B12 has heard why we would add value then we should head back to the islands. Warde's performance review has to be a regular meeting w/P5 commissioners as to UConn's value. Stop waiting for the call and take the lead.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Ooh, Powerpoint. As if these guys don't do their own research.
I'm guessing you've never sold anything. Walking in empty handed and telling them to do their own research isn't the best approach in my humble opinion.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you've never sold anything. Walking in empty handed and telling them to do their own research isn't the best approach in my humble opinion.
You miss my point. The people in charge of conference realignment decisions already know all of UConn's selling points - how many BB and olympic championships we've won, the average SAT score of our grads, the research expansion, capital campus improvement, new professor hires, how many tickets we sold in MSG in last year's regionals, the RGIII quote about the Rent and the fact that footings are in place for an upper deck, they know all this stuff because it's their job to know it. They also know all of the selling points of all the other candidates, from Cincy to Tulane. There is nothing you can put into a snazzy powerpoint that they don't already know. You may be able to impress a Texas or Okie State fan you meet in a bar with it, but the people running the show have already done their homework.

This isn't a sales job, it's more like a corporate merger. It's kind of naive to think you can convince an executive to agree to a merger by ambushing them at a hotel and slipping them some pamphlets. But let's pretend it is a sales job. I may not work in sales, but I have a pretty good idea that if you want to sell something, you have to offer something at least kinda close to what your customer is interested in. This came up on twitter earlier with ZooCougar and John Silver, John made a comment that UConn wasn't a good fit culturally, academically or football-wise and I made the analogy that UConn is a BMW or a Volvo, with lots of excellent features, but the BXII wants to buy a Ford or Chevy heavy truck. If a customer comes into my dealership looking for a truck, and I keep telling them about the Volvo's heated leather seats and Bose surround and side curtain airbags, he's going to get really annoyed. The things that make UConn potentially attractive to the ACC or B1G are things that the BXII doesn't care about. Hurts to say it, but we should be honest with ourselves.

Having said that, if the BXII decides all of a sudden that having a school with a truckloadof MBB and WBB championships is their cup of tea, I'll be happy to be wrong.

Bottom line... you need to have multiple levels of established contacts from the presidents, trustees and (less importantly) athletic departments and even professors, so that you can build level of trust between the school that wants to be invited and the schools (plural) that will invite them. It is a long political process, not something you can do in powerpoint presentation or elevator pitch.

Reaction Score
You miss my point. The people in charge of conference realignment decisions already know all of UConn's selling points - how many BB and olympic championships we've won, the average SAT score of our grads, the research expansion, capital campus improvement, new professor hires, how many tickets we sold in MSG in last year's regionals, the RGIII quote about the Rent and the fact that footings are in place for an upper deck, they know all this stuff because it's their job to know it. They also know all of the selling points of all the other candidates, from Cincy to Tulane. There is nothing you can put into a snazzy powerpoint that they don't already know. You may be able to impress a Texas or Okie State fan you meet in a bar with it, but the people running the show have already done their homework.

This isn't a sales job, it's more like a corporate merger. It's kind of naive to think you can convince an executive to agree to a merger by ambushing them at a hotel and slipping them some pamphlets. But let's pretend it is a sales job. I may not work in sales, but I have a pretty good idea that if you want to sell something, you have to offer something at least kinda close to what your customer is interested in. This came up on twitter earlier with ZooCougar and John Silver, John made a comment that UConn wasn't a good fit culturally, academically or football-wise and I made the analogy that UConn is a BMW or a Volvo, with lots of excellent features, but the BXII wants to buy a Ford or Chevy heavy truck. If a customer comes into my dealership looking for a truck, and I keep telling them about the Volvo's heated leather seats and Bose surround and side curtain airbags, he's going to get really annoyed. The things that make UConn potentially attractive to the ACC or B1G are things that the BXII doesn't care about. Hurts to say it, but we should be honest with ourselves.

Having said that, if the BXII decides all of a sudden that having a school with a truckloadof MBB and WBB championships is their cup of tea, I'll be happy to be wrong.

Bottom line... you need to have multiple levels of established contacts from the presidents, trustees and (less importantly) athletic departments and even professors, so that you can build level of trust between the school that wants to be invited and the schools (plural) that will invite them. It is a long political process, not something you can do in powerpoint presentation or elevator pitch.

I think it is. Just like Louisville sold themselves to the ACC, we have to sell ourselves to the Big XII. It is a long shot, but if we don't sell ourselves we have zero shot.

The Big XII may not decide all of a sudden that having a school with a truckload of MBB and WBB championships is their cup of tea; so we need to convince them.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I think it is. Just like Louisville sold themselves to the ACC, we have to sell ourselves to the Big XII. It is a long shot, but if we don't sell ourselves we have zero shot.

The Big XII may not decide all of a sudden that having a school with a truckload of MBB and WBB championships is their cup of tea; so we need to convince them.
Louisville didn't make a better sales pitch than we did, they didn't convince the ACC to change their minds. The ACC vote was a political process and they had better political allies than we did.

CL82

Reaction Score

Nah, you missed my point. Everything is sales. You want make a deal? You are selling. You want to argue a case or defend an alleged murderer. You are selling. You want to propose? You are selling. You want someone to sell to you? You are selling him on the fact that you have something he wants.

This is very much like a corporate merger. You are very definitely selling there. You creating narratives about relative value and relative power. It's not the raw data, it is how you cobble it together.

Take your Volvo/Ford truck analogy. Want to convince the the Big 12 that we are more like them than they think? Try this video:

The first shot of field appears a mere 26 seconds in. Do you think that's an accident? Do you think the Big 12 (or the B1G for whom I suspect this video was generated) gets the same impression from looking at our enrollment numbers online?

My point is that with so few potential P5 openings we cannot afford to sit back and hope that someone's research will turn up enough positives that they will benevolently invite us to join. We need to be creating an image and promoting ourselves every day. I think that Herbst gets that and the school is working to get it's message out. For what it is worth, I'm confident that that presentation exists. It would be a pretty serious omission if it did not.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Oh, it surely exists and is part of a package that has been distributed to the presidents via channels. We're already past that. It's a political process now, with many parties including BXII bigwigs, TV networks, and schools that have better football and/or geography. And political processes are never as easy or predictable as sales.

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh, it surely exists and is part of a package that has been distributed to the presidents via channels. We're already past that. It's a political process now, with many parties including BXII bigwigs, TV networks, and schools that have better football and/or geography. And political processes are never as easy or predictable as sales.
You seem to think that this is about conveying data. It about our continuingly evolving growth and how that makes us attractive in a continually evolving landscape. If you sent an unsolicited resume to a company 5 years ago and got no response but see they have an opening that fits you perfectly, do you send a new one? Do you revise your resume? How about reaching out to friend who works in the company do you sit down with them, even if it just for lunch? What's needed is not a dissemination of static facts. It is a process of engagement. I sure hope that we are engaged in it.

Reaction Score
Nah, you missed my point. Everything is sales. You want make a deal? You are selling. You want to argue a case or defend an alleged murderer. You are selling. You want to propose? You are selling. You want someone to sell to you? You are selling him on the fact that you have something he wants.

This is very much like a corporate merger. You are very definitely selling there. You creating narratives about relative value and relative power. It's not the raw data, it is how you cobble it together.

Take your Volvo/Ford truck analogy. Want to convince the the Big 12 that we are more like them than they think? Try this video:

The first shot of field appears a mere 26 seconds in. Do you think that's an accident? Do you think the Big 12 (or the B1G for whom I suspect this video was generated) gets the same impression from looking at our enrollment numbers online?

My point is that with so few potential P5 openings we cannot afford to sit back and hope that someone's research will turn up enough positives that they will benevolently invite us to join. We need to be creating an image and promoting ourselves every day. I think that Herbst gets that and the school is working to get it's message out. For what it is worth, I'm confident that that presentation exists. It would be a pretty serious omission if it did not.

I agree 100%
The one thing we have that none of the competition has is access to NYC.
That's what I would be selling. We're a cow college adjacent to the most powerful media center in the country.
Don't kid yourself about New York media access.
The Heisman trophy
The Big 12 could ensure their future with that clout.
The B12 needs us just as much as we need them.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
You seem to think that this is about conveying data. It about our continuingly evolving growth and how that makes us attractive in a continually evolving landscape. If you sent an unsolicited resume to a company 5 years ago and got no response but see they have an opening that fits you perfectly, do you send a new one? Do you revise your resume? How about reaching out to friend who works in the company do you sit down with them, even if it just for lunch? What's needed is not a dissemination of static facts. It is a process of engagement. I sure hope that we are engaged in it.
That was my whole argument - we have to stay engaged at multiple levels to try to get a favorable outcome. However we as fans should be realistic that if the BXII schools don't value what UConn has to offer, it is a very tall order to change their minds, and (in the short term) there are a lot of factors outside of our control, like geography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom