New AP poll | The Boneyard

New AP poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure how TAMU remained at 5 after a two point win over UT Pan-Am. Yet, Texas beats UT San Antonio by 20 and drops a spot.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not sure how TAMU remained at 5 after a two point win over UT Pan-Am. Yet, Texas beats UT San Antonio by 20 and drops a spot.

The UT Pan-AM game was TAMU's third game in 3 days, the first of which was a win over a ranked DePaul team.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The UT Pan-AM game was TAMU's third game in 3 days, the first of which was a win over a ranked DePaul team.
Don't confuse these astute voters with facts... :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

As I said in another thread, it was also Pan-Am's third game in three days. If both teams are at the same disadvantage, how is that a defense for A&M barely winning?

Reaction Score
Ples are meaning less in November..........Lets stat to look come Feb 15th and after............

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, it was also Pan-Am's third game in three days. If both teams are at the same disadvantage, how is that a defense for A&M barely winning?

I think both sides being fatigued is more likely to create anomalous results, in either direction.

Other important part of my post...they also had a very good win over DePaul (at DePaul). That plus the fact that Courtney Williams is still suspended (but is expected back later this season) would be enough to keep me from dropping them if I were a voter.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think both sides being fatigued is more likely to create anomalous results, in either direction.

Other important part of my post...they also had a very good win over DePaul (at DePaul). That plus the fact that Courtney Williams is still suspended (but is expected back later this season) would be enough to keep me from dropping them if I were a voter.

The team should be ranked on the players that they have availble now, not what they will have later in the year. Williams is not playing now.

Reaction Score
Ples are meaning less in November.....Lets stat to look come Feb 15th and after..

You can wait if you want. I enjoy watching how they change each week. If the the poll is meaningless to you then why did you take the time to open the thread and post?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The team should be ranked on the players that they have availble now, not what they will have later in the year. Williams is not playing now.

Do you know if there are voting guidelines to that effect? Sounds plausible that there could be but I don't know.

My counter-argument would be that you're ranking the best teams and that she's still part of the team. To me, it's no different than it would be if a player was out a few weeks with an injury.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Do you know if there are voting guidelines to that effect? Sounds plausible that there could be but I don't know.

My counter-argument would be that you're ranking the best teams and that she's still part of the team. To me, it's no different than it would be if a player was out a few weeks with an injury.

There is no guarantee that she will return. She is suspended "indefinately." I suspect that she will return, but at this point she is not playing, thus TAMU is not as good as they would be with her on the team. They are "weekly" rankings, indicating that the rankings are based on how good a team is this week. Otherwise, why vote each week?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There is no guarantee that she will return. She is suspended "indefinately." I suspect that she will return, but at this point she is not playing, thus TAMU is not as good as they would be with her on the team. They are "weekly" rankings, indicating that the rankings are based on how good a team is this week. Otherwise, why vote each week?

From Graham Hays' article: "she does, however, continue to practice with the team in College Station, and Blair seemed to make it clear there is a definite path to the end of the indefinite suspension.

"She needs to take care of her business," the coach said. "She'll be back sooner than later."

So yeah, not a guarantee, but pretty close.

Williams or no Williams, they have a road win against a top 25 opponent, something very few teams can say at this point. Honestly, I have no strong feelings about A&M other than I wouldn't read too much into one game on the last leg of a back-to-back to back, especially when they put up credible performance in the first two games.

EDIT: yes, I realize I'm repeating myself a little, don't beat me too hard with my own stick!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
From Graham Hays' article: "she does, however, continue to practice with the team in College Station, and Blair seemed to make it clear there is a definite path to the end of the indefinite suspension.

"She needs to take care of her business," the coach said. "She'll be back sooner than later."

So yeah, not a guarantee, but pretty close.

Williams or no Williams, they have a road win against a top 25 opponent, something very few teams can say at this point. Honestly, I have no strong feelings about A&M other than I wouldn't read too much into one game on the last leg of a back-to-back to back, especially when they put up credible performance in the first two games.

Curious about your thoughts on whether or not you think Texas deserved to drop a spot after their win? Without Stafford-Magee I am not sure that Texas is a top 10 team. Losing an athletic 6-7 player is huge.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not much changed atop The Associated Press' women's basketball poll this week. UConn remained No. 1 on Monday for the 22nd straight week.

That's the fifth longest streak in Top 25 history, passing Baylor's 21-week run in 2011-12.

STAYING ATOP: UConn also holds two of the other top five longest streaks at No. 1. When the Huskies won 90 straight games a few seasons ago, they held the top spot in the poll for a record 51 consecutive weeks. UConn also has the third longest mark with a 30-week run in the early 2000s. Louisiana Tech is No. 2 on the list with a 36-week run in the early 1980s. Texas has the fourth longest stretch, going 26 weeks at No. 1 in 1985-86.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-womens-poll-for-22nd-straight-week/19183799/

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Curious about your thoughts on whether or not you think Texas deserved to drop a spot after their win? Without Stafford-Magee I am not sure that Texas is a top 10 team. Losing an athletic 6-7 player is huge.

The points were 532 to 531 in the preseason poll, really almost equal. Texas actually gained points in this poll despite dropping a spot. I interpret the rankings change more as a positive reflection on the gaudy margin Maryland posted in their opening pair of games rather than a negative for Texas.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to Oklahoma?
I think they defeated the Washington Huskies 90-80. They moved from #33 to #27 so whatever happened to them it was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom