Need advice on fitness training... | The Boneyard

Need advice on fitness training...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't worked out in 3 years. It shows. I can't even figure out how to get started it seems. Energy levels are at an all time low. Not good considering I'm now 43. I used to work out ( moreso weight lifting ). Now, I know I need something that would give me a boost to get me back in order. I'd like to make quick strides by the early August, where, by that time, I should be down about 20 lbs. along with a few inches... Goal is to lose 30 to 35 lbs of fat by November. Any suggestions?

Reaction Score
Calories out >calories in. There is no miracle in a bottle bro. At 43 keep carbs low protein up. You should melt it right off with some exercise

Reaction Score
Diet. Nothing boosts metabolism and energy better than a nutritious diet. Don't eat desert except for special occasions. Don't accessorize your meals with fatty dressings/sauces/mayo etc. Eat a simple breakfast (maybe some granola/cheerios/fruit/yogurt), but do eat something, you need to start your metabolism in the morning. Don't get fried or breaded options when grilled or simpler alternatives are available. Switch veggie options for fries/chips. Don't snack, or if you must leave out fried/sugary things. Don't drink soda. You get the idea.

Reaction Score
Six small relatively healthy meals throughout the day. Drink plenty of water. Don't eat 2 hours before going to sleep. This should help jump start your metabolism. Depending on your fitness level you should also try to walk at least 2 miles every other day. You'll see results very shortly.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
And keep going, a little more every day.

Think more flexibility and core as you start.

Reaction Score
Get and read Younger Next Year. Great, practical advise and guidance about health, fitness and lifestyle as you approach middle age and then advanced years. It didn't change my life, but for years now it has given me a focus that has been enormously helpful. It addresses the how to and just as importantly, the why.

http://www.youngernextyear.com/

Reaction Score
Good advice so far. You can also get your hormone levels checked. If low, than replacement doses of testosterone and growth hormone could be an option. This would help with fat burning and muscle gain.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Start walking. Everyday if you can. At least 30 minutes once you can get there.

Reaction Score
Basic calisthenics and short cardio to start with to get the major muscle groups activated.
DON'T GET DISCOURAGED BY THE PAIN!, it too shall pass.
And don't let that little guy on your left shoulder tell you that you can skip a work out.

Reaction Score
Join CrossFit if one is near you. Go 3x a week and diet.

https://www.crossfit.com/ Check affiliates for a box near you.

If you have not worked out in a few years I would NOT recommend CrossFit. Get in shape first and then if you're ambitious, give it a whirl. But to go into it after not working out for 3-4 years, rough. It's also tough on the joints. I tried for a few months but it was too intense and they didn't modify the workouts to account for my bad knee.

Reaction Score
If you have not worked out in a few years I would NOT recommend CrossFit. Get in shape first and then if you're ambitious, give it a whirl. But to go into it after not working out for 3-4 years, rough. It's also tough on the joints. I tried for a few months but it was too intense and they didn't modify the workouts to account for my bad knee.

My kid's cousin is a Cross Fit master down in Stamford... He'd kill me right now... Love the Vitamin D emphasis...

Thanks guys... Honestly, I needed this... It's easy to get "comfortable" once you hit 40... I got a little too comfortable... Not liking it anymore... Time to get back in shape...

uconndogs: I'll definitely check this out: http://www.youngernextyear.com/

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree with Jimmy, start off simple. I always find myself quitting an ambitious type of workout like "Insanity" after a few weeks.

There is an App on most smartphones called "Couch to 5K". Basically, it is a combination of walking and running program designed to get you in good enough shape to run a 5K in a couple of months. The program itself is not too challenging (the first few weeks are 30 mins of walk/running in short 30 or 45 second intervals). If you feel like you need more time, you can always double or triple up the weeks. However you do the program is entirely up to you. But I find the short walk and run intervals to be nice and easy and you can do it at your own comfortable pace.

Good luck!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If a personal trainer is your style (and you are in the Manchester/Vernon area) I highly recommend John Izzo. Of course, that's just one piece of the puzzle. But he's a no BS kind of guy who will challenge you.

http://izzostrengthfacility.blogspot.com/

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Agree with Jimmy, start off simple. I always find myself quitting an ambitious type of workout like "Insanity" after a few weeks.

There is an App on most smartphones called "Couch to 5K". Basically, it is a combination of walking and running program designed to get you in good enough shape to run a 5K in a couple of months. The program itself is not too challenging (the first few weeks are 30 mins of walk/running in short 30 or 45 second intervals). If you feel like you need more time, you can always double or triple up the weeks. However you do the program is entirely up to you. But I find the short walk and run intervals to be nice and easy and you can do it at your own comfortable pace.

Good luck!

My wife did the C25k and it worked very well without a lot of hassle. It seems like you could do more, but I think the gradual build up works well for the formerly athletic.

It's difficult to forget what you were once capable of. In my case, it was sub 6-min miles. Lol real hard at that now. Not entirely sure I could run a mile at all at any pace without having a coronary.

Reaction Score

This is like saying you went to "Johnny's Seafood" had a bad mussel, and now suggest others stay away from any seafood.

If they didn't modify your workouts, you should have said something about your knee. If they refused to scale the workouts or give you different movements, you should have found a different box. Not all boxes are created equal.

@ktuck911

Not all boxes are the same. Do your research, talk to members, talk to the coaches, take the intro class, watch a few classes and see how the coaches and members interact. If they are unwilling to help you work around your injuries then find a new place. If you don't see members cheering on the people who are finishing last, then find a new box. CrossFit isn't for everyone but if you want to get in shape, have more energy, feel and look better, you'll have a hard time matching the results anywhere else.

Reaction Score
Start slow. Other than the good advice already here, I suggest finding an activity that you actually like doing, whether it us swimming, running, riding a bike, crossfit etc.

Ideally you should like it so much that you look forward to it.

Buy a heart rate monitor. Download a calorie counter to your phone that not only tracks what you consume, but what you burn.

Reaction Score
I haven't worked out in 3 years. It shows. I can't even figure out how to get started it seems. Energy levels are at an all time low. Not good considering I'm now 43. I used to work out ( moreso weight lifting ). Now, I know I need something that would give me a boost to get me back in order. I'd like to make quick strides by the early August, where, by that time, I should be down about 20 lbs. along with a few inches... Goal is to lose 30 to 35 lbs of fat by November. Any suggestions?

#1. Get 5 pieces of paper.

#2. Get some tape.

#3. Write down the weight you want to be in November at the bottom of one piece of paper. (.e. November 1st. = x lbs.)

#4. Above what you wrote for November - write - October 1st = x lbs, September 1st = x lbs. Etc. etc. back to May 1st and then April 21st for whatever you weigh now. Make the numbers realistic. You will not lose 15 lbs by May 1st.

#5. Copy what you wrote on that piece of paper to the other 4 pieces of paper.

#6. Tape the pieces of paper up in 5 highly visible daily places. (your bathroom mirror at home, your office door, tagged on to your computer monitor, your bedroom door or closet door, etc. and LEAVE THEM THERE AND READ THEM EVERY DAY )

If you do it, and put your goals in your face every day, you'll figure out what exercise and diet works for you. Good luck.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My wife did the C25k and it worked very well without a lot of hassle. It seems like you could do more, but I think the gradual build up works well for the formerly athletic.

It's difficult to forget what you were once capable of. In my case, it was sub 6-min miles. Lol real hard at that now. Not entirely sure I could run a mile at all at any pace without having a coronary.

I played soccer for 12 years and in high school before we were allowed to join the first practice, we had to run a mile in less than 7 minutes. I used to breeze through this and remember scoffing at the idea of not being able to run a mile in less than 7 minutes. Fast forward some 20 years and a 7 minute mile seems like an impossible dream. I'm not even sure I can run 1 lap around the field in less than 7 minutes without pulling a hammy!

Reaction Score

I second this.

Crossfit is a high impact, high quality workout. That being said, when getting back into shape, focusing on a base fitness and building an aerobic base will enable him to get more out of those high intensity workouts at a later date.

Reaction Score
#1. Get 5 pieces of paper.

#2. Get some tape.

#3. Write down the weight you want to be in November at the bottom of one piece of paper. (.e. November 1st. = x lbs.)

#4. Above what you wrote for November - write - October 1st = x lbs, September 1st = x lbs. Etc. etc. back to May 1st and then April 21st for whatever you weigh now. Make the numbers realistic. You will not lose 15 lbs by May 1st.

#5. Copy what you wrote on that piece of paper to the other 4 pieces of paper.

#6. Tape the pieces of paper up in 5 highly visible daily places. (your bathroom mirror at home, your office door, tagged on to your computer monitor, your bedroom door or closet door, etc. and LEAVE THEM THERE AND READ THEM EVERY DAY )

If you do it, and put your goals in your face every day, you'll figure out what exercise and diet works for you. Good luck.

Agree with writing the goals down.

Disagree with weight being an appropriate goal. Weight is not a measure of health or fitness. Depending on his body type, his current weight, and the exercise routine he picks, he could gain or remain the same weight, lose inches, and become a lot healthier.

Reaction Score

I with you on that suggestion and it could be a very costly mistake if you sign up and realize it is not for you after a month or two because memberships there can be as high as the most high end fitness centers at $175-$200/mo. No knock on Cross Fit, but you don't want to get back into working out after years off by doing Olympic lifts to max fatigue.

Your best bet if you are looking to join a fitness center is to pay for 2-3 personal training sessions because as much as everyone has the recipe that works for them; every body type, genetic makeup, age is different and you want a routine that will help you meet your specific goals. Simple rule of thumb other than eating healthy is that muscle is the best source of calorie burning so weight training should make up a majority of your workout routine regardless of age. Stick to free weights since they will get you the best results and your workout should probably be about an hour with both weights and cardio included (35 weights, 25 minute cardio) assuming short breaks in between exercises. Avoid the "convenient" machines in place of free weights such as the Smith Machine (big weight rack where the bar is attached to rails it glides up and down on) because they tend to do more bad than good (very bad for joints and unnatural body movements).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom