ND vs BC at Fenway. BC tickets $5.4K | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND vs BC at Fenway. BC tickets $5.4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would hope that Warde wouldn't be in that position. If UConn were to play the Leprechauns at a "local" venue (Fenway, Gillette, Yankee, Citi, Meadowlands), I would hope that Warde gets it in writing as a UConn home game as part of a multi-date home & home series & only allots 25% of the seats to N.D.

If ND wants to play UConn 5 times, with 2 at the Rent and 2 at South Bend, and an ND home game at one of the pro stadiums in NY or MA then Warde should sign that deal immediately.

Giving up one road game to be played at a venue where our fans can buy tix on the secondary market and drive or take the train to the game is an acceptable price to get not one, but TWO home games against a high profile team. We'd be guaranteed 3 nationally televised games, and possibly all 5.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah I also fail to see how this is a bad thing for BC. BC is going to make about $5-$10M for a "road" game. That's not bad scratch whatsoever, considering that most one and done type of payday games cash out at around $1M. It sucks for their fans who don't have $5K laying around to go to a football game a few blocks away, but the school/AD will benefit from the substantial payout. But I'm going to guess that quite a few more than 5K BC fans will find their way through the Fenway gates that afternoon and not of all them will be so heavily invested as others.

ND gets what they want: a game to satisfy their eastern alumni/fanbase. BC gets what they want: a very easy payday. There are no travel costs associated with playing the game a few blocks away, other than renting a friggin' U-Haul at a hourly rate for equipment. Heck, the Eagle players can even ride their bicycles to the game so the school can save money on gas! They will literally be able to pocket about 90-100% of the revenue generated from this single game. Plus, both schools will enjoy all of the hoopla that comes associated with playing a game in a very popular venue.

Reaction Score
BCU has basically made this game a fund raising drive. They will make a ton of dough but they will also alienate their every day fans which get a big F&U.
I don't sense much " alienation " from the BC fan base on this at all.. Most gripe about some other football related, game day related things, ie parking, tailgating hours, etc. But many hard core BC alums now live out of the region, so as long as the game is on national TV, they're not " alienated " about this BC- ND game at Fenway at all. I havn't detected much " everyday fans feeling they are getting a F %U" either... and I live in the summer and fall a mere 10 miles from the campus, so I should know a little bit about this.

Reaction Score
This is an ND home game, originally scheduled for Notre Dame Stadium. It was moved as the 2015 Shamrock Series game that ND does every year.

I am not sure that BC has any say in the matter if ND decides to move a home game somewhere else, even to BC's back yard.

NBC televises the game and BC gets the usual 5,000 tickets allotted to ND opponents at Notre Dame Stadium.

Exactly. This was a negotiated deal that both parties felt provided sufficient benefits to themselves, to mutually agree to this. ND wanted to move their home game from to Boston instead of in South Bend, and BC agreed to assist with this for them as well. BC even contacted The Fenway Group on ND's behalf, to facilitate the game at Fenway Park in Boston. You are also correct that any team has a right to take its home games off its school and move it elsewhere, should they decide too. BC has played home games as far away as Tokyo, Dublin, Foxboro, etc.. so this is not new to either school.

Reaction Score
I don't sense much " alienation " from the BC fan base on this at all.. Most gripe about some other football related, game day related things, ie parking, tailgating hours, etc. But many hard core BC alums now live out of the region, so as long as the game is on national TV, they're not " alienated " about this BC- ND game at Fenway at all. I havn't detected much " everyday fans feeling they are getting a F %U" either... and I live in the summer and fall a mere 10 miles from the campus, so I should know a little bit about this.

Just a guess, but you probably don't see much alienation because nobody in Boston gives a single about BC.

Reaction Score
Just a guess, but you probably don't see much alienation because nobody in Boston gives a single about BC.
Not true. BC football has higher attendance at its games now than Uconn football does, so lets not go knocking BC football fan support, when Uconn football has even less at present. Besides, this thread topic is about the BC- ND game, and its arrangement, not about comparing Uconn and BC football fan support, attendance, etc.

Reaction Score
Not true. BC football has higher attendance at its games now than Uconn football does, so lets not go knocking BC football fan support, when Uconn football has even less at present. Besides, this thread topic is about the BC- ND game, and its arrangement, not about comparing Uconn and BC football fan support, attendance, etc.

1. I didn't make a comparison. You did.
2. I stated what many people believe to be true. Very few Bostonians care about BC athletics.
3. This is our board, and I was one of the few UConn fans to state that BC handled this appropriately, so you can feel free to leave at any moment.

Reaction Score
1. I didn't make a comparison. You did.
2. I stated what many people believe to be true. Very few Bostonians care about BC athletics.

Its not true. Plus, you apparently care about what is going on with BC football, as you are demonstrating that interest by your participation on a thread topic created on this Uconn board about BC football and its arrangements for a game this season in Boston with one of its football opponents on its schedule. So don't allow your very actions to belie your own words regarding a level of interest in BC football.

Reaction Score
Its not true. Plus, you apparently care about what is going on with BC football, as you are demonstrating that interest by your participation on a thread created on this Uconn board about BC football and its arrangements for a game this season in Boston with one of its opponents on its schedule.

All this from the BC guy lurking on a UConn board.

Reaction Score
All this from the BC guy lurking on a UConn board.
" Lurking ", generally means reading, but not posting. I am not a " lurker ". I choose to participate by posting, when I read a thread topic created on a Uconn board that deals with BC, or Boston, or Massachusetts, or Umass, etc and things of interest to me. I also generally leave to others to discuss, topics that are either of little or no interest to me, or of topics in which I have little to no knowledge on. I purposely avoid topics that I have little personal knowledge of, nor choose to rely on heresay to form my opinions, and then post here as if I had first hand experience on it. As such, my comments and observations are restricted to the things I know from experience and living in a Boston region for over half a century. That said, I have no problem in hearing from others outside the Boston region on their own personal experiences on topics that are of mutual interest to the both of us.. I also generally try not to be personally insulting to other posters here, nor engage in profanity, open hostility to them. I am a guest here. So I enter with no malice to noone, even to those whom we might disagree on. I am not interested in a foodfight, so that who are ,might save themselves some energy and time and simply put me on ignore if my comments here are in some manner offensive, vile, profane, insulting, or whatnot to them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wrong again. ' Lurking ", generally means reading, but not posting. I am not a " lurker ". I choose to participate by posting, when I read a thread topic created on a Uconn board that deals with BC, or Boston, or Massachusetts, or Umass, etc and things of interest to me. I also generally leave to others to discuss, topics that are either of little or no interest to me, or of topics in which I have little to no knowledge on. I purposely avoid topics that I have little personal knowledge of, nor choose to rely on heresay to form my opinions, and then post here as if I had first hand experience on it. As such, my comments and observations are restricted to the things I know from experience and living in a Boston region for over half a century. That said, I have no problem in hearing from others outside the Boston region on their own personal experiences on topics that are of mutual interest to the both of us.. I also generally try not to be personally insulting to other posters here, nor engage in profanity, open hostility to them. I am a guest here. So I enter with no malice to noone, even to those whom we might disagree on. I am not interested in a foodfight, so that who are ,might save themselves some energy and time and simply put me on ignore if my comments here are in some manner offensive, vile, profane, insulting, or whatnot to them.

You don't get to play the innocent nice guy after incendiary comments like this:

BC football has higher attendance at its games now than Uconn football does, so lets not go knocking BC football fan support, when Uconn football has even less at present. Besides, this thread topic is about the BC- ND game, and its arrangement, not about comparing Uconn and BC football fan support, attendance, etc.

Reaction Score
You don't get to play the innocent nice guy after incendiary comments like this:

BC football has higher attendance at its games now than Uconn football does, so lets not go knocking BC football fan support, when Uconn football has even less at present. Besides, this thread topic is about the BC- ND game, and its arrangement, not about comparing Uconn and BC football fan support, attendance, etc.
Context is everything, my friend. Here I was replying to a poster that said that "nobody give a F% U about BC football up in Boston ". So my reply was to point out the level of interest between the two. Had he not elected to bring up his profanity laced, initial" incendiary" remark to me, in all likihood, he would not have invited a reply that compared interests levels in these respective football programs. A direction in this thread my earlier comments on this thread never broached. So thats the context, and we certainly did not see you ( nor did I ask for ) your criticism on the poster that FIRST initiated the profanity laced and " incendiary " comments to me above that initially took the otherwise relatively civil dialogue were all were having here on this topic thread, downhill.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Context is everything, my friend. Here I was replying to a poster that said that "nobody give a F% U about BC football up in Boston ". So my reply was to point out the level of interest between the two. Had he not elected to bring up his profanity laced, initial" incendiary" remark to me, in all likihood, he would not have invited a reply that compared interests levels in these respective football programs. A direction in this thread my earlier comments on this thread never broached. So thats the context, and we certainly did not see you ( nor did I ask for ) your criticism on the poster that FIRST initiated the profanity laced and " incendiary " comments to me above that initially took the otherwise relatively civil dialogue were all were having here on this topic thread, downhill.

I guess my longtime understanding of internet message boards must be incorrect. I always thought that "profanity laced incendiary remarks" were required when responding to unwelcome guests from other fan bases. I'm soooo glad you were able to set everyone straight on this delicate point of etiquette.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
i feel like someone is trying to pull off a good will hunting... wahk into uh hahvahd bah and show the clientele how he's much smahtah... how do ya like them apples...
:cool:

Reaction Score
I actually hope Yawkey Way continues to post. I like having discussions with other teams fans that aren't trolls.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
" Lurking ", generally means reading, but not posting. I am not a " lurker ". I choose to participate by posting, when I read a thread topic created on a Uconn board that deals with BC, or Boston, or Massachusetts, or Umass, etc and things of interest to me. I also generally leave to others to discuss, topics that are either of little or no interest to me, or of topics in which I have little to no knowledge on. I purposely avoid topics that I have little personal knowledge of, nor choose to rely on heresay to form my opinions, and then post here as if I had first hand experience on it. As such, my comments and observations are restricted to the things I know from experience and living in a Boston region for over half a century. That said, I have no problem in hearing from others outside the Boston region on their own personal experiences on topics that are of mutual interest to the both of us.. I also generally try not to be personally insulting to other posters here, nor engage in profanity, open hostility to them. I am a guest here. So I enter with no malice to noone, even to those whom we might disagree on. I am not interested in a foodfight, so that who are ,might save themselves some energy and time and simply put me on ignore if my comments here are in some manner offensive, vile, profane, insulting, or whatnot to them.

You left off your obsession with Florida.

And you are not shy about wading in where you have no knowledge.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would hope that Warde wouldn't be in that position. If UConn were to play the Leprechauns at a "local" venue (Fenway, Gillette, Yankee, Citi, Meadowlands), I would hope that Warde gets it in writing as a UConn home game as part of a multi-date home & home series & only allots 25% of the seats to N.D.

LOL. I'd hope if he has Jedi Mind Control he'd spend his time on more pressing issues.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I also fail to see how this is a bad thing for BC. BC is going to make about $5-$10M for a "road" game. That's not bad scratch whatsoever, considering that most one and done type of payday games cash out at around $1M. It sucks for their fans who don't have $5K laying around to go to a football game a few blocks away, but the school/AD will benefit from the substantial payout. But I'm going to guess that quite a few more than 5K BC fans will find their way through the Fenway gates that afternoon and not of all them will be so heavily invested as others.

ND gets what they want: a game to satisfy their eastern alumni/fanbase. BC gets what they want: a very easy payday. There are no travel costs associated with playing the game a few blocks away, other than renting a friggin' U-Haul at a hourly rate for equipment. Heck, the Eagle players can even ride their bicycles to the game so the school can save money on gas! They will literally be able to pocket about 90-100% of the revenue generated from this single game. Plus, both schools will enjoy all of the hoopla that comes associated with playing a game in a very popular venue.

What's the cost of being embarrased playing in your 'home' city in front 90% Notre Dame fans?

Reaction Score
I guess my longtime understanding of internet message boards must be incorrect. I always thought that "profanity laced incendiary remarks" were required when responding to unwelcome guests from other fan bases. I'm soooo glad you were able to set everyone straight on this delicate point of etiquette.
.[/QUOTE]

I do understand that being vulgar and profane to other fans that visit another teams sports message board does seem to be normal these days, and almost expected these days. So Uconn fans that immediately go into a vulgar, profanity laced, uncivilized are only following what now seems to be the norm. For what its worth, it the early days of sports message boards, I recall conversing with other fans from other schools, and it could be civil, toward one anorther, and one could have interesting dialogues, sometimes heated, sometimes fun, but generally not personally insulting. Fans who crossed over into the personal attacks were warned.. repeated attacks got them banned, so usually the school's fans that were not into foodfighting could coexist wityh other fans for good conversation, good debates.. and civil ones. But it does seem to have all changed. The yahoos just interested in throwing personal insults out there have seemingly taken over most boards these days... and a lot of posters have left these boards, leaving the others now to accept the vulgar, the profane, the childish, the banal, to become the norm... and where immediately going into the vulgar mode with other school's fans is " normal ". And I do get that. But I'm hoping for something different. But perhaps, I should know better.

Reaction Score
If ND wants to play UConn 5 times, with 2 at the Rent and 2 at South Bend, and an ND home game at one of the pro stadiums in NY or MA then Warde should sign that deal immediately.

Giving up one road game to be played at a venue where our fans can buy tix on the secondary market and drive or take the train to the game is an acceptable price to get not one, but TWO home games against a high profile team. We'd be guaranteed 3 nationally televised games, and possibly all 5.

I think that ship has sailed when UConn rejected the previous scheduling deal with ND.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What's the cost of being embarrased playing in your 'home' city in front 90% Notre Dame fans?

Good point,there is always this possibility. And when college football fans from other parts of the country watch on TV and see Fenway Park look and sound like NotreDame Stadium East, then make the connection that Fenway Park is located in Boston...the same city that Boston College is located, there might be more than a few head scratches. Even more head scratches when the pro-Notre Dame NBC announcers begin their ND pump pieces about their connection with Boston. By the end of the game, there may even be a few folks who think that Notre Dame is "Boston's college team".

My earlier point spoke more to BC's money grab. The school is clearly concerned with its own financial viability since they were the only P5 school to vote against full cost of scholarships, so an easy opportunity to make an additional $5-$10M in addition to their ACC revenue is a no-brainer for them. In that regard, it's a win. They aren't going to get that kind of money if they play the game on campus.

Reaction Score
I actually hope Yawkey Way continues to post. I like having discussions with other teams fans that aren't trolls.
Thanks for the compliment... and let me know your take on topics of mutual interest too. I'm interested in intelligent discourse, insights, observations from time to time and when time permits for the both of us.... even on those occasions where we might disagree for one reason or another.

Reaction Score
Good point,there is always this possibility. And when college football fans from other parts of the country watch on TV and see Fenway Park look and sound like NotreDame Stadium East, then make the connection that Fenway Park is located in Boston...the same city that Boston College is located, there might be more than a few head scratches. Even more head scratches when the pro-Notre Dame NBC announcers begin their ND pump pieces about their connection with Boston. By the end of the game, there may even be a few folks who think that Notre Dame is "Boston's college team".

Bottom line people across the nation and N.E. will be watching the football game, and really don't care if its played in Wembley Stadium, Dublin, Frankfurt, or Foxboro, South Bend or Chestnut Hill. Besides, the fact that ND football has a lot of supporters in Boston ( or Hartford, or Philly, or Savannah, or NYC, etc ) is no surprise Plus, nationwide, they'll be FAR more national college football fans pulling for BC to pull the upset in this game than pulling for ND. Few would disagree with that it would seem to me. And if BC beats ND at their chosen " home game , home field ", why that would be even better for BC, the Nation, and for N.E. BC will also have more fans at this ND " home game " they have requested for themselves than for ND " home game " on the ND campus in South Bend Indiana.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do understand that being vulgar and profane to other fans that visit another teams sports message board does seem to be normal these days, and almost expected these days. So Uconn fans that immediately go into a vulgar, profanity laced, uncivilized are only following what now seems to be the norm. For what its worth, it the early days of sports message boards, I recall conversing with other fans from other schools, and it could be civil, toward one anorther, and one could have interesting dialogues, sometimes heated, sometimes fun, but generally not personally insulting. Fans who crossed over into the personal attacks were warned.. repeated attacks got them banned, so usually the school's fans that were not into foodfighting could coexist wityh other fans for good conversation, good debates.. and civil ones. But it does seem to have all changed. The yahoos just interested in throwing personal insults out there have seemingly taken over most boards these days... and a lot of posters have left these boards, leaving the others now to accept the vulgar, the profane, the childish, the banal, to become the norm... and where immediately going into the vulgar mode with other school's fans is " normal ". And I do get that. But I'm hoping for something different. But perhaps, I should know better.
[/QUOTE]

If you fail to see why your posts bring on that type of response on a UCONN board I don't know what to tell you. Why you deem it so important to continually post here is beyond my understanding. You clearly have a lot of time on your hands or an agenda that warrants spending that time - or maybe both.

To make this crystal clear. UCONN's conference affiliation absolutely and totally sucks. I suspect I feel like a lot of others when I say I really don't want to see threads laced with a BC fan post about what a great situation BC is in. Believe me, I get it. BC playing ND at Fenway is great for BC and UCONN presently isn't afforded such an opportunity. You may think you are being clever and subtle, but believe me, you are not!

And please, please don't tell me you are not a BC supporter........

Reaction Score

Why you have a concern on the number of my posts on here is unclear to me, when you have 4 times the numbers of posts I do. I have already explained on numerous occasions that I have family( and friends ) in Connecticut, and that explains my general interest here. Finally, I have never attempted to convey that I am not a BC fan ( growing up and living 12 miles from their campus) and it appears you might be the only one here that apparently was under the assumption that I was somehow attempting to hide from others here that I am originally from Boston ( and now from Florida ) and am a BC football fan. Finally, I have not brought up the conference affilation on this thread( and never have ) and your mentioning this here on this thread thus seems a bit odd to me, as it does not relate to this thread topic, and there is an entire segment created on this website for you to discuss this if you want to. This thread is about BC- ND and the upcoming game in Boston, so I have confined my remarks to that topic on this thread ( unless the topic thread here takes a different turn into unrelated terrain)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline