ND - Game is More Important for UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ND - Game is More Important for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
My post above has been edited to reflect your points...thanks...
Got part of it, but Muffet's record is still off. She was 7-8 during Skylar's years, at a time when UConn won 2 NCs and ND won nada.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Sorry, but reading Muffet's comments and the commentary here on this board gives me a headache. Yeah, it is true that Muffet during the Skylar Diggins four years was 7 (edited) and 8 vs Connecticut and her bragging rights came during Skylar's last two years when she was 6 and 2 vs CT. However, she did lose the big one which was for it all to CT and Skylar graduated without winning a national championship, while UConn won two of them. UConn still owns ND in total historical match-ups 29 to 11. So, what can we expect post Diggins...well, I think we have a barn-burner coming or as close to one as we are going to get...both teams are currently working to get all their pieces functioning optimally. KML and Tuck are just getting back for UConn, Brianna Banks is back after missing last year to knee surgery, Dolson is healed from her injuries last season and they are working Saniya Chong into the rotation. Notre Dame is working on Getting Natalie Achonwa back on track and getting Lindsley Allen comfortable at the point guard position while working Taya Reimer into their rotation. Both teams are clicking along pre-conference. Notre Dame will play a much more competitive in conference schedule than UConn...but, that really shouldn't matter as long as both teams stay healthy. It will be harder for Notre Dame to avoid injuries as they will probably require more minutes from their starters due to the tough schedule but, even this may be off-set by the fact that UConn only has 9 scholarship players this year.

So, here is what I think...all the speculation will end when the players step between the lines...it will come down to what happens on the court.

CENTER: Natalie Achonwa - 6'3", great player, big heart, she runs the floor really well, and is often a trailer on the play who will slash the middle in transition and score as a result of the ND guards finding her often...will leave it all on the floor but, her match-up against Stefanie Dolson 6'5" is a tough one. Stefanie is a smart, savy high basketball IQ center. She is the best passing center in the WCBB. She can step out to hit the three or the foul-line extended jumper, she is a better rebounder this year as she is going after the ball and getting it done with 10.0 rebounds per game. She has a soft touch around the basket and good footwork. She will be a handful for Natalie. Natalie Achonwa - 12.4 P/G; 7.4 RB / G; 2.28 assists / G; .57 Stls / G.; and 2.42 turnovers / G. Stefanie Dolson - 13.9 ponts P/G; 10 RB / G; 4.08 assists G; 1 steals / G; 2.5 turnovers / G - ADVANTAGE - UCONN
POWER FORWARD:
Ariel Braker - 6'1", somewhat a surprise, emerged last year and has earned a starting position in Muffet's line-up. She isn't much of a scorer but she rebounds, gets steals and produces assists while keeping her turnovers low. She basically splits time with Taya Reimer who doesn't start but is first off the bench. Taya can also give Natalie a break as she played Natalie's position while Natalie was injured. Reimer is more efficient than Braker and it is only a matter of time before Reimer is starting over Braker in my opinion. However, does it really matter who starts at this position? After all, both players will have to play against Breanna Stewart - 6'4" and Breanna is clearly dominant at her position and arguably the best player in the country at this time. Breanna leads the team in scoring and really there isn't much in Breanna's skill set that she can't do and did I mention that Breanna has the ability and desire to elevate her play when it is needed as she thrives on the big stage. Ariel Braker - 3.9 points / G; 5.2 RB / G; 1.9 assists / G; 1.2 Steals / G and only .8 turnovers / G Breanna Stewart - 19.3 points / G; 7.7 RB / G; 3 Assists / G; 1.25 Steals / G; 1.66 Turnovers / G. - ADVANTAGE - UCONN

SMALL FORWARD:
Kayla McBride - 5'11" - Kayla is the "heart and soul" of this team. She is a big time player and I believe it was more Kayla than it was Skylar Diggins who caused UConn the problems during those loses as Kayla presents a very tough match-up for teams. Kayla has a WNBA body and a very high basketball IQ coupled with a strong desire to win. She is a winner and her attitude reflects that mindset. Kayla can score and she likes taking the big shots, she is a tough rebounder and hustles on defense. She is also third in assists for Notre Dame. She will probably be matched up with KML - 6'0" who by tournament time will have completely shaken off the effects of her ulner nerve injury and will undoubtedly be her usual self. This years stats are misleading because she played in only 4 games this season after missing 8 games out of 12 this season due to the injury but a comparison of this year's stats to last year's statistics should put us in the ball park. KML is more than just a three point shooter, she is a great defender, a strong rebounder, hustles after every play. KML moves great without the ball and creates a tough match-up for who-ever is defending her. She can score in many ways not just from three point land. Kayla McBride - 14.4 points / G; 5.9 RB / G; 3.7 Assists / G; 1.2 steals / G and 2.3 turnovers / G. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (this years to last years stats) - 13.0 points / G - 17.6 points / G; 3.0 RB / G - 6.3 RB / G; .25 Assists / G - 2.34 / G; .5 steals / G - 1.5 steals / G; 0 Turnovers / G - 1.5 turnovers / G. ADVANTAGE - EVEN
SHOOTING GUARD: Jewell Lloyd - 5'10 - Jewell Lloyd has emerged as the teams most prolific scorer with the departure of Skylar Diggins. Jewell is making a case for herself to be considered a first team All American. She is a very talented player who has an extremely high basketball IQ, very athletic and is the future franchise player for Notre Dame. She isn't shooting lights out from three only hitting on .316 of her shots but, she can get to the basket and score. Defending her will fall to Bria Hartley, 5'8" who is making an All American claim in her own right, after all it was a distinction she earned as a sophomore and was derailed in her junior outing due to a nagging injury suffered in the summer between her sophomore and junior league playing 3 on 3 USA Basketball. Bria is a scorer who likewise, loves the big stage and usually plays her best in the big games. She is 2nd in scoring for UConn probably will drop to 3rd when KML rounds back into form. she leads the team in assists. Bria shoots the three a little better than Jewell is at the moment as she is hitting on .400 percent of her shots. Additionally, Bria's Assists / Turnover ratio is nothing short of amazing at 3.3. Jewell Lloyd- 18.5 points / G; 7.1 RB / G; 2.7 Assists / G; 1.5 steals / G; 2.5 turnovers / G. Bria Hartley - 14.6 points / G; 4.2 RB/ G; 5.16 Assists / G; 1.75 steals / G; 1.58 turnovers / G ADVANTAGE - EVEN - slight advantage Bria Hartley (Assists / steals / turnovers / 3 pt. shots)
POINT GUARD: Lindsley Allen 5'7", has emerged as the point guard for Notre Dame which is good for Jewell Lloyd which frees her to play the shooting guard which is more suited to her. Lindsley can handle and distribute the ball. It will be interesting to see how she handles the defensive pressure UConn brings. she leads the team in assists at 4.1 per game and shoots the three at .571 which is outstanding, however, she only has 8 makes for the season with 10 games under her belt. Lindsley has a fantastic Assists / Turnover ratio of 2.3. Moriah Jefferson, 5'7", has emerged as the most improved player in the UConn line-up. Not just statistically as is the case but also, as a floor leader as well. She is her own little highlight reel every game. There isn't a game that goes by that she doesn't do something that makes you think, "Wow, she is really, really good". She is the fastest player with the ball on the court, her court vision is exceptional and she is beginning to shoot the three with confidence. Moriah like Lindsley has a terrific Assists / Turnover ratio of 2.6 Lindsley Allen - 8.9 points / G; 2.2 RB / G; 4.1 assists / G; 1.9 steals / G; 1.8 turnovers / G. Moriah Jefferson - 10.6 points / G; 2.7 RB / G; 5 assists / G; 2.5 steals / G; 1.92 turnovers / G. ADVANTAGE - UCONN
BENCH: Notre Dame has Machaela Mabrey, Taya Reimer, Marisa Cable playing significant minutes while UConn has Morgan Tuck, Saniya Chong, Kiah Stokes and Brianna Banks playing significant minutes - Notre Dame's bench gives them: 27.4 points / G; 11.5 RB / G; 6.8 Assists / G; 3.2 steals / G; 2.9 threes / G; 4.3 Turnovers / G. UConn's bench gives them: 26.7 points / G; 14.8 RB / G; 4.89 Assists / G; 2.45 steals / G; 3.07 threes / G; 4.08 Turnovers / G. ADVANTAGE - EVEN with a slight edge to Notre Dame mostly on the play of Taya Reimer, but this should be negated as Morgan Tuck rounds into form....so, I would say that the bench play is mostly EVEN

COACHING:
Sorry but with a 29 to 11 advantage in games over ND, I got to go with Geno and the crew... ADVANTAGE - UCONN
I think Notre Dame will play UConn stubbornly and will provide a tough match-up for UConn, probably the toughest of the year but at the end of the day UCONN WINS this game going away. They just have too many weapons, too much fire power. 88 - 71. I think Kayla McBride will join Skylar Diggins in the WNBA without winning a championships either...

There all fixed now....I think my point is clear...Notre Dame is yesterday's news!!!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There all fixed now....I think my point is clear...Notre Dame is yesterday's news!!!
Well, sure, but hopefully a happy bit of next year's news for the Huskies, as we have been told that that is very important to UConn's continued success. And I believe everything I'm told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom