ND bowl destination to be decided by random drawing | The Boneyard

ND bowl destination to be decided by random drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Reading that newsobserver article, it is just amazing how ND continues to get away with these agreements. It's almost comical to read that ND is part of the ACC in all sports except for football, but they are part of the football bowl lineup. Talk about cake and eat it too.

I know the BE did the same thing..but the BE was desperate for the ND brand to help get any bowl interest for their teams. I am surprised the ACC is that desperate to allow this to happen.

Reaction Score
Reading that newsobserver article, it is just amazing how ND continues to get away with these agreements. It's almost comical to read that ND is part of the ACC in all sports except for football, but they are part of the football bowl lineup. Talk about cake and eat it too.

I know the BE did the same thing..but the BE was desperate for the ND brand to help get any bowl interest for their teams. I am surprised the ACC is that desperate to allow this to happen.

The ACC is/was just as desperate as the Big East was.

The ACC was on the verge of being blown up which is why Swofford convinced its members to bend over & take the ND deal. Without the ND addition it is very doubtful they get a GOR approved by the remaining members. Without the GOR Fla St, Clemson, UNC, UVA, NC St & Va Tech are likely in or headed to different conferences. These schools may still leave when the proposed ACC Network becomes officially dead but at least the ND addition bought Swofford time.

pj

Reaction Score
It was mutual desperation -- ACC to get enough money to alleviate its members' itch to leave, and ESPN to get ownership of Notre Dame media rights. Now they own 2-3 ND football games per year, and all the basketball, with a prospect for more football if ND can be forced to join a conference.

Reaction Score
ND could tell the ACC it will go all in as long as ND gets to keep its own tv deal and play fewer conference football games than the rest of the ACC, and the ACC would probably take it. Which is basically the situation right now. It's all semantics.

Reaction Score
It will be decided this Sunday which Bowl Game BC will be going to this season. It appears right now that NC State and or Duke might be more impacted by these Bowls choice of selecting the Fair Haired Child ( ND ).

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11...omplicating-bowl-future.html?sp=/99/100/&rh=1

If the article is correct it looks like either NC State, BC or Louisville will be bumped from a Tier I bowl to a Tier II bowl. Duke is guaranteed Tier I, ND will most likely get picked by a Tier I and Clemson will likely go to the Russell Athletic Bowl.
This will leave 5 teams for 4 Tier II bowl slots. I think all eligible ACC teams will end up in a bowl game, but it's possible that 1 gets left out in the cold.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If the article is correct it looks like either NC State, BC or Louisville will be bumped from a Tier I bowl to a Tier II bowl. Duke is guaranteed Tier I, ND will most likely get picked by a Tier I and Clemson will likely go to the Russell Athletic Bowl.
This will leave 5 teams for 4 Tier II bowl slots. I think all eligible ACC teams will end up in a bowl game, but it's possible that 1 gets left out in the cold.

This will not be random. ND get the Pinstripe Bowl. Louisville will get a Tier 1 as will Duke. Clemson gets the Russell Athletic Bowl leaving the last for either BC or NCST. Maybe they will flip a coin for those two.

Reaction Score

I suppose the ACC cutting a Faustian Bargain with ND can be filed under the rationale wisdom of politics that " its always a good idea to keep your friends close and your enemies closer". ND is a partial member of the ACC, and last year ND spurned the new BIG Hockey League, and accepted the Hockey East Invite. As such, its doubtful now that if ND ever has to find a league for its football team, that they'll exit Hockey East, and the ACC for the Big for all their sports there. The ACC got ND to agree last summer that fully 40% of its future football schedules will be with ACC teams from now until a dozen yesrs hence. ND is not a 100% member of the ACC. But ND is a 100% ACC member in all other sports, 100% member of Hockey East, and a 40% football member of the ACC... On the whole, not such a bad deal all around for the ACC it seems to me. Its highly unlikely now that ND will be going to the Big in football someday. Nobody could say that as recently as 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame did not spurn the new B1G Hockey Conference. They were never invited. It has always been all or nothing concerning Notre Dame joining the B1G. None of this partial member nonsense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Notre Dame can't trump anyone who is 2 games better. They can be taken over 8-4 but not 9-3.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame did not spurn the new B1G Hockey Conference. They were never invited. It has always been all or nothing concerning Notre Dame joining the B1G. None of this partial member nonsense.
Well then " nothing " it is re. ND and the BIG.

As for ND "not being invited to the BIG", while that is technically true,(as Hockey East invited ND before the new BIG invited ND), it was clear from the outset that ND was looking " East " for its future for its school teams over the next 50 years, not the rust belt "Midwest". Joining the ACC for all non football sports, was a neon light sign to the BIG new Hockey League, that ND Hockey wasn't interested in joining the BIG in Hockey. So thats why ND did not get an invite from the BIG Hockey League. ND would have declined any Big Hockey invite had it even came forth... as it preferred Hockey East, and thats just a fact..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yet you're missing the point: no invitation was coming.
Ok... we'll agree that " no invitation was coming ". I explained the reason why too. I hope you didn't miss that point either.

Reaction Score
Ok... we'll agree that " no invitation was coming ". I explained the reason why too. I hope you didn't miss that point either.

I love how the ACC schools think it was a "win" to let ND them in the a** with no lube. All of your BS reasoning is just that. B.S.!!

Swofford and the ACC were the only conference desperate enough to let ND screw them. That's the only reason why ND aligned with the ACC

Reaction Score
I suppose the ACC cutting a Faustian Bargain with ND can be filed under the rationale wisdom of politics that " its always a good idea to keep your friends close and your enemies closer". ND is a partial member of the ACC, and last year ND spurned the new BIG Hockey League, and accepted the Hockey East Invite. As such, its doubtful now that if ND ever has to find a league for its football team, that they'll exit Hockey East, and the ACC for the Big for all their sports there. The ACC got ND to agree last summer that fully 40% of its future football schedules will be with ACC teams from now until a dozen yesrs hence. ND is not a 100% member of the ACC. But ND is a 100% ACC member in all other sports, 100% member of Hockey East, and a 40% football member of the ACC... On the whole, not such a bad deal all around for the ACC it seems to me. Its highly unlikely now that ND will be going to the Big in football someday. Nobody could say that as recently as 2 years ago.

That didn't work out so well for the Big East.

Football is the only sport that really matters, and the ACC only got a 40% commitment. Meanwhile, Notre Dame gets to vie for ACC bowl slots and gets a portion of ACC bowl money. Great deal for Notre Dame, but I think the ACC gave too much.

Reaction Score
I love how the ACC schools think it was a "win" to let ND them in the a** with no lube. All of your BS reasoning is just that. B.S.!!

Swofford and the ACC were the only conference desperate enough to let ND screw them. That's the only reason why ND aligned with the ACC
The facts however don't square with your profanity laced erroneous beliefs regarding this. I mentioned above on this very thread that ND and the ACC reached mutual agreements in which BOTH parties will MAKE MONEY.. and will advance the future interests of BOTH.. on several negotiated deals between the two parties ( an undeniable fact ). However, it is of course ones perogative to disregard this, and remain in anger and denial on it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That didn't work out so well for the Big East.

Football is the only sport that really matters, and the ACC only got a 40% commitment. Meanwhile, Notre Dame gets to vie for ACC bowl slots and gets a portion of ACC bowl money. Great deal for Notre Dame, but I think the ACC gave too much.

The BE never put in place a deal that would compel ND to make 5 games on its football schedule, each and every year, a BE football opponent.

When the ACC negotiated 40% of ND's football schedule to ACC teams, it likewise ended the games that the BIG used to have for decades with ND. So in one stroke of the pen... one that would make both ND and the ACC more money.... the ACC limited the BIG's teams in their future scheduling with ND AND it lessened considerably any future chances that if ND goes to a P5 Conference for football, it won't be other than the ACC. . ND won't be going to the BIG if it ever has to place its football program in a league. So this narrative that someone the ACC has been hoodwinked by ND flies not only in the face of what was negotiated, but flies in the face of how brilliantly the ACC has improved itself under Swofford's leadership, since the days it found itself competing with the " brilliant " minds working out of the BE HQ'ers in Providence, R.I.. The BE never got a thing out of ND. The ACC negotiated deals with ND that were good for both... while simultaneously severely diminishing other leagues future scheduling opportunities with ND.( that are big money makers for schools )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The B1G never wanted ND Hockey. If they did, B1G Hockey would have formed years ago. We needed Penn State to have six teams. We have had five teams for decades. The B1G never once thought to add ND Hockey and form a Hockey Conference. No special treatment for outsider schools. No thanks!

Reaction Score
The B1G never wanted ND Hockey. If they did, B1G Hockey would have formed years ago. We needed Penn State to have six teams. We have had five teams for decades. The B1G never once thought to add ND Hockey and form a Hockey Conference. No special treatment for outsider schools. No thanks!
The comment that if the BIG wanted ND in their Hockey League, they would have started a Hockey league years ago for that expressed purpose ( ie, to accommodate ND ) is so silly, it needs no further reply from me with this comment.

Also...the BIG football was harmed schedule wise by the ACC negotiating 40% of its future football schedules to ACC teams by the ACC. You can't deny it... as even your BIG fans in these schools that for years played ND acknowledge this, and are not happy that they have lost such access to ND football schedule moving forward. As for Hockey East, half the schools in this league have no football teams, so there was no need to give ND " special treatment" as an " ousider " in order for ND to be invited, and to accept the invite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The facts however don't square with your profanity laced erroneous beliefs regarding this. I mentioned above on this very thread that ND and the ACC reached mutual agreements in which BOTH parties will MAKE MONEY.. and will advance the future interests of BOTH.. on several negotiated deals between the two parties ( an undeniable fact ). However, it is of course ones perogative to disregard this, and remain in anger and denial on it.

ND needed a place to play ALL of their sports besides football. Swofford needed to do something to keep his conference from imploding. That was the mutual agreement. If someone offers ND a better deal (which won't happen) they would be gone tomorrow.

The fact that you believe that they have the best interest of the ACC in mind shows how clueless you & Swofford are. You are desperate for the ACC to stay intact because BC has no other options. You are thrilled to make your $20MM/yr. However, in a few years, when the SEC & B1G schools are making double that amount the schools that do have options (most likely Fla St, UNC, UVA, Va Tech & maybe others) will start to sniff around. Also the GOR will be that much closer to expiring so the schools that do have options will certainly explore.

The fact that you come to a UConn message board to defend ND confirms how desperate you are for your beloved ACC to stay intact. Don't bother replying to me anymore because you just went on ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom