NCAAs : The LOOK of Defeat | The Boneyard

NCAAs : The LOOK of Defeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
With about 6 minutes to go in the first half of the Regional Final against Kentucky Kelly Faris was at the free throw line and the camera settled on Kentucky's O'Neill and she had this look on her face. It was a look that said: Oh, Oh ... we've thrown our best punch. Six minutes later they are down 26 points. In the Championship game Jude Shimmel went to the bench with 3 fouls in the first half and the camera stayed with her. She was a wreck. At the time I thought that even for Jude, an emotional player, that was not a reaction to her situation but a realization that their collective National Championship aspirations were done. In Kentucky's case they had a pretty great year and maybe felt that this was their time at long last. Louisville, the dragon slayer, had every reason to be sky high. Both ran into the UConn "intensity wall" on both ends of the floor and cracked/broke on that wall. Coaches talk about asserting your will on your opponent. When you read that happening in the faces of the players you are happy for your team, but frankly it can be painful to watch. I felt bad for both of those great competitors. Were there other such moments?

Reaction Score
I too was sympathetic upon seeing Jude's reaction. It was a more telling summary of the game than any sports writer could have conjured.

So many emotions displayed in those few seconds. Initial anger for what perhaps she perhaps perceived as a bad call by the ref. Hopelessness as UConn was enroute to a 19 -0 run. Grief in the likelihood that the dream would not be realized. With still a half to go, resolve to continue the fight. Recovery - ready to go back in and pull off a miracle!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not to belittle the above, but I thought Jude's reaction on the bench resulted from the horrible foul situation she was in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not to belittle the above, but I thought Jude's reaction on the bench resulted from the horrible foul situation she was in.
Probably a bit of both but I do think that the realization that another upset wasn't coming had hit her.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I remember watching Jude S's face. I thought it was a combination--"my team desperately needs me and I can't help them."

I just happened to re-watch this game yesterday. I agree.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
family-of-feet4.jpg

Reaction Score
It's a game. The goal is to win. I never feel anything for the team that loses unless it's UConn. Many of the girls we dominate had a chance to go to UConn and they picked another school. If an opponent is seriously injured during a game then I feel bad. Do you think Notre Dame fans felt bad for us when we lost 7 of 8? Doubt it.

Reaction Score
For me, it was the Notre Dame game in the FF when at some point well before the end of the game (maybe 5 mins into the second half) you could SEE the players (I distinctly remember Natalie Achonwa) panicking because they realized that they were going to lose the game if things didn't change. I remember being struck by how unusual of a moment that it was to witness. For players that are usually highly composed: Achonwa, Diggins, McBride, you could see how much they cared about winning and that they were completely frustrated. Ally Auriemma even wrote about this in her blog:
We're also getting a lot better at not letting setbacks in a game get to us emotionally, something I honestly cannot say about Notre Dame during that second half. It was fascinating to watch the complete and total breakdown of the Notre Dame offense and defense as the game wore on. They just completely stopped functioning and communicating, and the frustration and attitude was written all over their faces. (I'm not making this up out of whole cloth...if you watch the tape you can see it clear as day. In the immortal words of Outkast, "I'm just being honest.")

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the look on Muffet at the end of the semi final game was a look we have seen on Geno's face at times when he becomes so frustrated he just stops coaching and stops thinking. Players, generally, aren't executing what you are asking for so save your voice then becomes the rule of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom