NCAA Troubles: Are we heading towards Congress Involvement? | The Boneyard

NCAA Troubles: Are we heading towards Congress Involvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The NRA is non-profit too. A lot of non-profits lobby.
That's what the NRA is, essentially, a lobbying group. Lobbying isn't part of the NCAA's core mission. Apples/oranges.

Reaction Score
That's what the NRA is, essentially, a lobbying group. Lobbying isn't part of the NCAA's core mission. Apples/oranges.

There are tens of thousands of non-profits who lobby. Universities lobby. This is not strange.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was speaking more to the timing of this. The NCAA/P5 has imposed these rule changes based on "what is best for the student athlete", implying that they are a non-profit organization. But here they are nearly doubling their lobbying efforts (I'm sure that number will grow through the year) to protect their money...err...model.

CL82

Reaction Score
There are tens of thousands of non-profits who lobby. Universities lobby. This is not strange.
So you don't find it interesting that a group that is supposedly designed to look after student athlete's welfare is upping in expenditure to prevent changes which will benefit the welfare of student athletes?

Reaction Score
So you don't find it interesting that a group that is supposedly designed to look after student athlete's welfare is upping in expenditure to prevent changes which will benefit the welfare of student athletes?

I disagree with your premise. Not sure what congress can do with regard to the lawsuits. But the welfare of student athletes takes place within an entire system. Someone is always going to pay the price.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think $240,000 worth of lobbying will move the needle much.

CL82

Reaction Score
I disagree with your premise. Not sure what congress can do with regard to the lawsuits. But the welfare of student athletes takes place within an entire system. Someone is always going to pay the price.
Congress has just a bit of input on whether or not they choose to have hearings.

I don't think $240,000 worth of lobbying will move the needle much.
I think you'd be surprised at how little it takes "to move the needle."

The NCAA is a blotted organization that looks a look more like a for profit enterprise than an organization that it looking after student athlete interests. They have endless inquisitions that violate privacy laws and bully kids and families about some kids' minor transgressions while letting more serious issue go at the more prominent schools. All while Emmert draws nearly $2M in salary as he works to prevent kids from sharing in the revenue the organization earns from their likenesses. It is time for it to be shut down or at least dramatically downsized.

Reaction Score
Congress has just a bit of input on whether or not they choose to have hearings.

The NCAA is a blotted organization that looks a look more like a for profit enterprise than an organization that it looking after student athlete interests. They have endless inquisitions that violate privacy laws and bully kids and families about some kids' minor transgressions while letting more serious issue go at the more prominent schools. All while Emmert draws nearly $2M in salary as he works to prevent kids from sharing in the revenue the organization earns from their likenesses. It is time for it to be shut down or at least dramatically downsized.

By giving more money to some kids, schools will take away money from other kids. That's the net result of the lawsuits.

Reaction Score

And an to the NCAA is what?
The NCAA Is nothing more than a collection of schools appointing a board and making some rules to govern the fairness of their athletic programs .
The president and the Board serve at the wim of its members.
I agree Emmert should have been fired years ago.
He personally has overseen the straying from their mission. He really has become a p5 shill
There mission should be clarified an someone of repute should replace him.

But to those wishing for the destruction of the NCAA ,
"Be careful what you wish for"
The alternatives will be a lot worse

Reaction Score
I laugh when I read/hear how this is all about the welfare of the student-athlete, when in reality it will harm more student-athletes than it will help. Problem is, the talking heads in the media are only thinking about athletes in certain sprots at certain schools. There will eventually be a lawsuit, it's just a matter of who is a part of it....schools, a whole conference, individual student-athletes, a group of student-athletes. It's coming, but will be a big uphill battle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Because they disagree with the idea that this is positive for Student Athletes. They view their mission (often to an absurd degree) as protecting amateur athletics at the college level.

Reaction Score
Because they disagree with the idea that this is positive for Student Athletes. They view their mission (often to an absurd degree) as protecting amateur athletics at the college level.

Many schools will have a lot of difficulty defending a professional system to parents (i.e. customers) in the future. I imagine only the SEC will get off scot-free in that regard, and maybe the B12.

CL82

Reaction Score
Many schools will have a lot of difficulty defending a professional system to parents (i.e. customers) in the future. I imagine only the SEC will get off scot-free in that regard, and maybe the B12.
I think just the opposite may be true. "Amateur" athletic institutions may find it challenging to defend why their athletes receive less for the same commitment.

Reaction Score
I think just the opposite may be true. "Amateur" athletic institutions may find it challenging to defend why their athletes receive less for the same commitment.

The same commitment as what? I'm confused.

Who is going to challenge that?

Think of universities as businesses. The customers are parents. Do you know of any business that doesn't want to appease or service its customers?

Now, there are businesses that experience conflicts of interest (if Carl Icahn is on your board, he'll want you to give him your spare cash instead of putting it into R&D, and it may hurt your relationship with your customers in the future), and universities are like that too. They are beholden to politicians and boards of trustees and boosters, etc. But as soon as a business loses its core relationship with its customers, that place is dead. No matter what the politicians or BOT or boosters have to say.

CL82

Reaction Score
The same commitment as what? I'm confused.

Who is going to challenge that?

Think of universities as businesses. The customers are parents. Do you know of any business that doesn't want to appease or service its customers?

Now, there are businesses that experience conflicts of interest (if Carl Icahn is on your board, he'll want you to give him your spare cash instead of putting it into R&D, and it may hurt your relationship with your customers in the future), and universities are like that too. They are beholden to politicians and boards of trustees and boosters, etc. But as soon as a business loses its core relationship with its customers, that place is dead. No matter what the politicians or BOT or boosters have to say.

The same time commitment by the student athlete.

Think of universities as businesses. Think of student athletes and their parents as customers. They are giving something of value up, their time and talents, and getting something back, tuition, room and board, plus some cost of attendance adjustment. Do you see many "customers" going for a deal that gives them less value back, or do you think they will go to those universities that give a maximum return on that time and talent. I suspect that it will be the latter.

Reaction Score
Think of universities as businesses. Think of student athletes and their parents as customers.

If student athlete customers stopped going to universities now and forever, universities would stay in business.

If student customers stopped going to universities now and forever, universities would collapse.

CL82

Reaction Score
If student athlete customers stopped going to universities now and forever, universities would stay in business.

If student customers stopped going to universities now and forever, universities would collapse.
You assume that the presence of the former isn't an inducement for the latter to come. I'm not sure that that is a widely held belief.

UConn is a prominent example of how successful athletic programs can be an a tool to improve academics.

Reaction Score
You assume that the presence of the former isn't an inducement for the latter to come. I'm not sure that that is a widely held belief.

UConn is a prominent example of how successful athletic programs can be an a tool to improve academics.

So, no sports, no education?

Reaction Score
So all education, no sports?

Some schools are indeed like that, NYU and Cal San Diego and the like. You see a lot of that.

I was responding to the previous posters who were discussing the elimination of football as the solution to the money problem.

A lot of schools have done that to great success. Boston U., for instance. Eliminated football, skyrocketed in the academic rankings. Saved a lot of money.

CL82

Reaction Score
Pretty sure NYU has sports. I'm sure Cal San Diego does as well.

There will be a dichotomy between the haves and the have nots in sports. You seemed to saying that the those who decide to offer less will be at a competitive advantage. I'm at not all convinced of that.

Where will agree, I think, is that the P5 autonomy vote was a bad thing for college sports in general and for UConn in particular.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure NYU has sports. I'm sure Cal San Diego does as well.

There will be a dichotomy between the haves and the have nots in sports. You seemed to saying that the those who decide to offer less will be at a competitive advantage. I'm at not all convinced of that.

Where will agree, I think, is that the P5 autonomy vote was a bad thing for college sports in general and for UConn in particular.

Are we not talking about scholarship sports here? Sure, NYU has sports, and parents pay tuition so that their children can go to school and play sports if they want to.

I made a very simple point in response to the B1Gfan's claim that football would not be the sport to get cut. On the contrary, it will be the first sport to go when teams make the decision to save money. Sure, lots of schools can decide to drop down to a level where the travel is sane and the scholarships are few.

CL82

Reaction Score
Are we not talking about scholarship sports here? Sure, NYU has sports, and parents pay tuition so that their children can go to school and play sports if they want to.
I made a very simple point in response to the B1Gfan's claim that football would not be the sport to get cut. On the contrary, it will be the first sport to go when teams make the decision to save money. Sure, lots of schools can decide to drop down to a level where the travel is sane and the scholarships are few

upstater said:

CL82 said:
I think just the opposite may be true. "Amateur" athletic institutions may find it challenging to defend why their athletes receive less for the same commitment.​

I think this is where we started. I think, perhaps wishfully, you are underestimating the importance of athletics in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom