NCAA tournament; are any of these programs better than ours? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA tournament; are any of these programs better than ours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I can't believe how low posters on this board rank us. Did everyone get amnesia? 4 Natties 1999 forward. If you apply any kind of weighted average approach favoring recent history only Kentucky, and maybe Duke, are even in the conversation.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I can't believe how low posters on this board rank us. Did everyone get amnesia? 4 Natties 1999 forward. If you apply any kind of weighted average approach favoring recent history only Kentucky, and maybe Duke, are even in the conversation.

Recent history isn't the only thing that matters though.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Recent history isn't the only thing that matters though.
Not the only thing but probably the most important given that it is a decade and half of sustained excellence.

caw

Reaction Score
I could care less where we rank, we are a blue blood thats all that matters thats no longer a question. Everyone knows were a blue blood they just don't know where to rank us, some people are uncomfortable to put Uconn above some of the programs that have been have been a national brand since the 60s and beyond. We beat Duke twice in a FF, and UK twice in a FF that has to count for something. 5 FF and 4 National Championships and we have had some squads that have had near misses.

Laettner buzzer beater (As close to a FF as you can get, ok we probably lose to a loaded UNLV squad)

UF Sweet 16in OT missed Fts cost us UF goes to the FF

Elite 8 Losing to UCLA in the elite 8 in LA they go on to win it all

Sweet 16 Missisippistate, lost Ricky Moore to injury, MSstate goes on to the FF

Elite 8 to UNC in Charlotte, a year away

Elite 8 veteran Maryland team, we had the 2nd best team in that tournament

Texas in Texas, close game a year away

We all know how that ended, and we still had the Elite 8 come down to a last shot, despite all the distractions suspensions etc.

With Jerome Dyson we are probably right there with UNC, but still got to the FF

It shows you we have had some bad luck (which is part of the tournament)other wise we might have more titles, I know other programs can say the same thing well so can we. FF are great but what draw did some of those programs get in order to get to a FF.

I would have loved to have seen UNC versus UConn in 2009. Off the top of my head UNC had an absurdly and historically good offense while I believe UConn (with Dyson) had an absurdly and historically good defense.

Reaction Score
I'm glad everyone is not drinking the Kool Aid. The same excitement and possibilities I saw when the Big East was formed, I feel the reverse given our league affiliation. Look at Delta State, ODU and La Tech. Those universities had a nice run until the NCAA and some schools realized a tiny bit of money could be made off the ladies.

Reaction Score
I attended Notre Dame, but I grew up as a UConn fan and had the pleasure of cheering on Tony Hanson for one year and Jim Abromaitis for 3 while in high school. I remember the Yankee Conference.

I like Matrims list, although I would probably drop UConn down a tad to the pack, mostly due to longevity. The Huskies were not a national team until about 1990, and their real success only spans 15-16 years. Thay have 4 titles, but those are also their only Final Fours. Teams like Louisville and Indiana have had many more Final Four appearances (and in Indiana's case, titles) dating back to the 40s, Duke had at least 3 FFs I can think of in the mid 60s and one in 1978:(.

IMO, 16 years is not really enough time be called a top 5 all-time program. However, I can assure you fans of college basketball (as opposed to those who merely fans of one school) do have great respect for the current Husky program.

I also grew up a huge Tony Hanson fan. I will disagree on dropping UConn though as since "parity" became more prevalent in mens college hoops UConn has done an amazing job. I know UCLA won a lot but when Wooden was there they cheated and it was like women's basketball is now - a lot easier to do so. Kansas? Again won a little but also underachieved a lot over the years. UConn's record when is is amazing since 89-90. We are getting close to 26 years and eventually we will be a larger part of "history".

Reaction Score
I'm glad everyone is not drinking the Kool Aid. The same excitement and possibilities I saw when the Big East was formed, I feel the reverse given our league affiliation. Look at Delta State, ODU and La Tech. Those universities had a nice run until the NCAA and some schools realized a tiny bit of money could be made off the ladies.

Yeah that's a good comparison - Delta State and UConn? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yeah that's a good comparison - Delta State and UConn? :rolleyes:
I'm not a women hoops fan and yes, UCONN is academically better. My point was they dominated basketball for a period. Than the elite or powers that be saw the almighty dollar to be made. Connecting the dots yet? The little schools were tossed aside. In came Tennessee, Rutgers and eventually UCONN. The NCAA threw the AIAW under the bus. Should I replace P5 for NCAA and G5 for AIAW or do you get my comparison yet?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's not taken into account is that we were dominate in the best league in the NCAA for a decade or so. When you look at what we did during the regular season in the BE and Tournament that was incredible.

People want to solely look at Championships and FF but winning the BE and BET was a feat in itself, and I really don't beleive many of those other teams could have accomplished the success we had in the BE.

Remember all the teams being named there is only on BE team among them (not including Ville). So it this information may not enter into these discussion but its our precious secret and trump card if you will.

Damn the AAC sucks.

Reaction Score
Somebody needs to explain how Kansas gets on these lists. They were a hoop school in a league that cared little about hoop for years. And they always got the Big 8 bid. They won it all in the early days when the NIT was more prestigious.

Reaction Score
Starting with 2011, Kentucky is now 19-0 in its NCAA Tournament games not against the University of Connecticut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom