NCAA To Re-Open UNC Investigation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA To Re-Open UNC Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get the nod and a wink (that is what quip pro quo means, right?).

The point I was getting at is UNC made Nyang'oro the fall guy as soon as things got dicey. And then a prosecutor came after him for fraud- collecting payment for a service that wasn't rendered (fake classes). Now the prosecutor is dropping charges based on his cooperation.

Right. I expected this would happen too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Right. I expected this would happen too.

That's why contract lawyers are an evil necessity. UNC thought the money they paid him for phony courses was hush money for both the duration of the fraud and for laying down as the fall guy. Nyang'oro thought the money was just for the fraud and wanted additional money to stay silent and maybe take a conviction.

A good lawyer would have made sure all sides were agreeable for the duration of the fraud and the cover up.

Reaction Score
At some point SACS has to get involved with this. Even if if is nothing more than a random statement.

pj

Reaction Score
Trouble is, it seems to me, that too often, the big guy skates by ratting out a little guy.

Or the criminal gets off by ratting out a non-criminal. The prosecutor is a political animal and wants to look tough while not annoying anyone with voting power, like UNC. If he can avoid any criminal prosecutions while filing a report that spreads the blame among a number of individuals, but none of it rising to the level of criminal activity, then he's succeeded politically.

Reaction Score
Or the criminal gets off by ratting out a non-criminal. The prosecutor is a political animal and wants to look tough while not annoying anyone with voting power, like UNC. If he can avoid any criminal prosecutions while filing a report that spreads the blame among a number of individuals, but none of it rising to the level of criminal activity, then he's succeeded politically.

When I saw that the president sent the investigation to the Gov's office, who hired a UNC bball player to look into it, you knew they were not going to slaughter any sacred cows. The investigation should have been in-house and conducted by faculty. This should never have gone to the Gov.

pj

Reaction Score
Not credible that the NCAA would ask McCants to run a $300 mn program; or that UNC would give him $10 mn. He is dreaming.

Reaction Score
I get the nod and a wink (that is what quip pro quo means, right?).

The point I was getting at is UNC made Nyang'oro the fall guy as soon as things got dicey. And then a prosecutor came after him for fraud- collecting payment for a service that wasn't rendered (fake classes). Now the prosecutor is dropping charges based on his cooperation.

In an article I read, Nyang'oro's Attorney indicated that his client was not going down alone. I took it as a "back-off or else." Maybe the "or else" is happening.

Reaction Score
Not credible that the NCAA would ask McCants to run a $300 mn program; or that UNC would give him $10 mn. He is dreaming.

I read that this AM. To me it was a "good-bye credibility" moment. This puts him in the nut-case category; unless, of course, he's telling the truth. At this point, I'd believe everything and nothing. Wonder if UNC will send him a "thank you" note?

Reaction Score

Or smoking crack! That is one strange dude.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
In an article I read, Nyang'oro's Attorney indicated that his client was not going down alone. I took it as a "back-off or else." Maybe the "or else" is happening.
That's what you have to assume when the judge drops the criminal charges and says he did it because of his cooperation. Will be interesting to see what comes next.

Reaction Score
I read that this AM. To me it was a "good-bye credibility" moment. This puts him in the nut-case category; unless, of course, he's telling the truth. At this point, I'd believe everything and nothing. Wonder if UNC will send him a "thank you" note?

If it was just McCants saying this, I would give it zero credibility. But, others have come out (and been crucified too). Where there is smoke there if fire. With the NCAA trying to defend it's amateur/academics first sports model in front of several juries, they almost have to look at UNC again or risk this coming out in court against them.

Reaction Score
I just got some news on my school's accreditation process and went to check out the agency's website. I was looking at schools in trouble. For the Middle States, all these schools are on probation for non-compliance:

Alfred University
American College, The (of Financial Services)
Baltimore City Community College
Boricua College
Community College of Beaver County
Community College of Philadelphia
Dowling College
Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
Escuela de Artes Plasticas de Puerto Rico
Five Towns College
Gratz College
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology
Hudson Valley Community College
King's College
Mercyhurst University
Orange County Community College
Sojourner - Douglass College
Unification Theological Seminary
University of Scranton
University of the Potomac

By the way, these commissions and agencies accept 3rd party complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom