NCAA Penalties for Penn State | The Boneyard

NCAA Penalties for Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For you guys at work without a TV in front of you

$60 million fine (apparently that's about what the team rakes in a year)
Loss of 10 initial scholarships and 20 total scholarships each year for a four year period
Vacation of 1998-2011 seasons
5 year probation
4 year bowl and post season (no Big 10 championship game) ban

Players can transfer and play immediately.

Penn State sanctions: $60M, bowl ban

Reaction Score
Thanks for changing the thread title. The university is in mourning and its classy to respect that. We are in no position to throw stones, gloat or worse, condemn the student population who did nothing wrong.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The only question I have is, why no TV ban?

I already know the answer to that...because it would cost the B1G money with their TV rights/revenue. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It's as bad as the death penalty. Losing 20 ships a year is a bear. The money is nothing except that it's earmarked properly. The statue being taken down was symbolic and probably necessary because some folks are riveted to symbols. SMU never recovered, I wonder if PSU will?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
It's as bad as the death penalty. Losing 20 ships a year is a bear. The money is nothing except that it's earmarked properly. The statue being taken down was symbolic and probably necessary because some folks are riveted to symbols. SMU never recovered, I wonder if PSU will?

SMU never recovered partially because their conference bretheren threw them over the boat to sink. Penn St has the B1G to keep them relevant.

This is exactly why PSU joined the B1G 20 years ago despite JoePa being against it....so that PSU could survive once JoePa was gone...if they only knew at the time how prophetic that move would be!

PSU will never be what they were in the 70s and 80s. But that wasn't going to happen even before this scandal and punishment. In 20 years, PSU will be a very good program but not one of the elite. But I would argue that was going to be there place even before all this happened....but know everyone in Happy Valley can blame the NCAA and others for their fall from where they were in the 70s/80s.

Reaction Score
SMU never recovered partially because their conference bretheren threw them over the boat to sink. Penn St has the B1G to keep them relevant.

This is exactly why PSU joined the B1G 20 years ago despite JoePa being against it....so that PSU could survive once JoePa was gone...if they only knew at the time how prophetic that move would be!

PSU will never be what they were in the 70s and 80s. But that wasn't going to happen even before this scandal and punishment. In 20 years, PSU will be a very good program but not one of the elite. But I would argue that was going to be there place even before all this happened....but know everyone in Happy Valley can blame the NCAA and others for their fall from where they were in the 70s/80s.

I think this is right. I think that in ten years, PSU will be at no less than 90% of the level that they are on now. The same would be true after a one or two year death penalty.

And there is a reason for that. Penn State did not achieve because Paterno was cheating. What he did was about covering up an image more than on field advantages. In the long run, Penn State will succeed because they have a fanbase, they have national name recognition and they are the flagship university in a large state that loves to play high school football. Short of shutting the program down basically forever, you can't take those things away from them.

caw

Reaction Score
I think this is right. I think that in ten years, PSU will be at no less than 90% of the level that they are on now. The same would be true after a one or two year death penalty.

And there is a reason for that. Penn State did not achieve because Paterno was cheating. What he did was about covering up an image more than on field advantages. In the long run, Penn State will succeed because they have a fanbase, they have national name recognition and they are the flagship university in a large state that loves to play high school football. Short of shutting the program down basically forever, you can't take those things away from them.

PSU does have a great recruiting base and an in-state love affair that borders on insane, but a lot will come down to who is the head coach when the sanctions are done. Is Bill O'Brien that guy? If not, who? It's a big question. Paterno was PSU football even more than Calhoun is UConn basketball.

They have effectively eliminated any of his assistants from ever being head coach at PSU and they are going to be losing a ton of revenue with which to procure a top notch replacement. I think they can and will recover, but it won't be for at least 10-15 years and that is a long, long time in college sports.

Reaction Score
The only question I have is, why no TV ban?

I already know the answer to that...because it would cost the B1G money with their TV rights/revenue. :rolleyes:

Collateral damage to the community is one thing. They don't have a vote. Collateral damages to the NCAA's constituency -- other member institutions -- is another thing altogether. That, obviously is to be avoided.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Collateral damage to the community is one thing. They don't have a vote. Collateral damages to the NCAA's constituency -- other member institutions -- is another thing altogether. That, obviously is to be avoided.

You'll also note that the big ten quickly.scooped up the 13m in bowl payouts. Wonder where that's going. :rolleyes:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan