NCAA Elite 8 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA Elite 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Boneyard at its finest. Notre Dame comes within a ____ hair of knocking off a 37-0 juggernaut and they're choke artists with a bum for a coach.

Close isn't good enough, I think everyone here is mad that ND didn't pull it off, so a way of expressing your anger is to make fun of ND.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Overrelied on Grant at the end. Connaughton or Jackson need to touch the ball.
That's on Grant. His job was to set one of those guys up for a shot.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
2 for 1 should be the easy call. That said, you rarely see it in the college game. Has KO ever called for a 2 for 1?
KO did it all the time his first year and at least a few times last year. Though I can't remember him doing it a single time this year.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard at its finest. Notre Dame comes within a ____ hair of knocking off a 37-0 juggernaut and they're choke artists with a bum for a coach.
Overrelied on Grant at the end. Connaughton or Jackson need to touch the ball.
I'm not so sure it was a choke job, as much as it was poor execution. It was well coached till the end. I agree about the 2 for 1 and the poor timing of ND's last timeout.

Reaction Score
I knew the missed FT's by ND was gonna cost them, it made Brey panic and over coach.

Reaction Score

Did they not choke?? They played great but that doesn't mean they didn't choke. They missed free throws down the stretch and then blew the absolute perfect opportunity for a 2 for 1. They got the ball with 1:10 left and got a shot clock violation. That's horrific. They didn't even have to rush on the first shot. Had 20 seconds to set up a play and even of they missed ky could've run the entire shot clock down and nd would've still had 20 seconds left.

Instead they had to run the entire length of the floor in 6 seconds.

Just because they played great doesn't mean they didn't blow the game. Get off your high horse for once criticizing the entire board.

Reaction Score
Did they not choke?? They played great but that doesn't mean they didn't choke. They missed free throws down the stretch and then blew the absolute perfect opportunity for a 2 for 1. They got the ball with 1:10 left and got a shot clock violation. That's horrific. They didn't even have to rush on the first shot. Had 20 seconds to set up a play and even of they missed ky could've run the entire shot clock down and nd would've still had 20 seconds left.

Just because they played great doesn't mean they didn't blow the game. Get off your high horse for once criticizing the entire board.

Reaction Score
How about the obvious? Brey's refusal to double down on Towns resulted in automatics the whole second half. The one time they did Kentucky turned it over. This game should have been over before the last two minutes.

Reaction Score

Even before all that how about the missed fts by the ND guys good shooters were at the line too I think there were 4 or 5 missed fts down the stretch. Everyone is afraid to say ND choked Kenny and Chuck were like its not about what ND didn't do its about what UK did, ok UK made the plays and ND didn't fine but they definitely choked. Typical ND they had a shot at pulling it off now they can't take the criticism.

Reaction Score
Brey had a great gameplan and they outplayed Kentucky without hitting many threes at all, which most thought was impossible. Brey's mistakes were leaving Towns in single coverage with Auguste and even single coverage with Connaughton, Bonzie Colson needed to be brought in for defensive purposes. Not using the 2 for 1 and leaving yourself with no timeouts at the end were also big mistakes. The ball movement was so great all game long but after Grant made the one deep three pointer he played hero ball on the last three possessions, the ball stayed with him the whole time and he forced horrible shots. Too bad for ND because they outplayed Kentucky.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Brey would've had an extra TO if ND didn't almost turn the ball over twice in the backcourt and run up against a 10-sec violation at 1:53. And I doubt it was Brey's idea to run the clock down to 2 secs and have Grant put up a trey with Cauleystein in his face. Call me an apologist. UK did what was necessary, ND didn't.

Reaction Score
Even before all that how about the missed fts by the ND guys good shooters were at the line too I think there were 4 or 5 missed fts down the stretch. Everyone is afraid to say ND choked Kenny and Chuck were like its not about what ND didn't do its about what UK did, ok UK made the plays and ND didn't fine but they definitely choked. Typical ND they had a shot at pulling it off now they can't take the criticism.

Ok now I see you agree. That's what I'm saying. Nd missed free throw down the stretch and played not to lose. Ky did not deserve to win that game. Nd played great but that doesn't mean they didn't blow it at the end.

Although I suppose it's fitting ky wins off free throws by a Harrison stumbling down the lane out of control and bowling someone over

Unbelievable

Reaction Score
Ok now I see you agree. That's what I'm saying. Nd missed free throw down the stretch and played not to lose. Ky did not deserve to win that game. Nd played great but that doesn't mean they didn't blow it at the end.

Although I suppose it's fitting ky wins off free throws by a Harrison stumbling down the lane out of control and bowling someone over

Unbelievable

Thats what happens when you put it in the hands of these refs. ND wasn't composed enough down the stretch. Like you said playing not to lose.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or mocking me. But I like that kid and love seeing lebron lose so ill like it anyways

No I'm agreeing with you, well Lebron played like a monster the next game though.

Reaction Score
Doesn't mean they didn't choke a bit down the stretch.

Poor coaching, missed FTs, and horrible defense in the last 2 minutes can certainly qualify as a bit of a choke job.

Reaction Score
Poor coaching, missed FTs, and horrible defense in the last 2 minutes can certainly qualify as a bit of a choke job.

Yeah I don't think Notre Dame choked. But we can agree to disagree. They played a hell of a game and came really close to beating a team that I don't think they had much business beating. Props to Brey and that crew.

Meanwhile, 4 final fours in 5 years is no joke.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't think Notre Dame choked. But we can agree to disagree. They played a hell of a game and came really close to beating a team that I don't think they had much business beating. Props to Brey and that crew.

I'm fine with that.

There's no debate that they played an incredible team against one of the great teams of the past decade. I still think they choked a bit down the stretch, but we're splitting hairs here.

Anyway, the Kentucky-Wisconsin rematch should be a lotta fun.

Reaction Score
How about the obvious? Brey's refusal to double down on Towns resulted in automatics the whole second half. The one time they did Kentucky turned it over. This game should have been over before the last two minutes.

This is inaccurate. The first time they slid a 2nd defender on Towns in the 2nd half, he kicked to Ulis who immediately buried a wing/corner trey. The second time they fronted him with a 2nd man, the defense scattered at the top of the key and Harrison destroyed them from 3ft behind the line. Yes, Towns was wreaking havoc on Auguste, who was playing soft with 3-4 fouls the entire half. But was the alternative better? Once UK starts beating you outside-in, you've pretty much surrendered on that side of the ball. Unfair criticism. I think the better critique would be that they should've left the reserve in and let him guard Towns. He was more aggressive and causing more trouble for Towns without question. Not nearly as good offensively as Auguste, but they weren't going to the bigs down the stretch anyway, it was all running through Grant.

Oh well, hopefully that Dekker kid and Kaminsky can get something going against UK. Just watching Cal "coach" is hard. ND hits a 3 to put them up 4 or 6 I can't remember, Cal starts to signal for a timeout then looks to his assistant coach for reassurance that calling a timeout is what he's supposed to do there. Looked like a lost dog in pinstripes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

and no uconn to stop them this year...someone has to step up

Reaction Score
If anything ND should have fouled the guy once or twice and make him earn it at the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom