NBA draft . Net just moved Shabazz into the top 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBA draft . Net just moved Shabazz into the top 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hence why I said "kind of". It's the general idea that you don't take an older player over a younger player simply because the older player was more productive that season in college.

Ennis was pretty darn good as a freshman, I'm sure if he stayed until he was a senior he would put up pretty damn good numbers like Napier.

It's not hard to figure out why a scout would want Ennis over Napier. It annoys me when our fans are blind homers.

I wouldn't fault anybody for drafting Ennis over Napier. But if we're being "blind homers", then your opinion - that drafting Napier over Ennis is "dumb and shortsighted" - seems like the opposite of that. In terms of traits that intrigue scouts, Napier has a couple things going for him - that were apparent even when he was a freshman - that Ennis lacks. Napier has an explosive first step, supreme quickness, and an instinctual understanding of the game that you just can't teach. Ennis might have that last part, but it isn't as if he's a kid that blows you away with his athleticism. Plus, given the restrictive nature of the 2-3 zone, it's unclear how well Ennis will translate to the next level defensively (my guess: not well). Napier's already proven to be able to effectively defend NBA players and hold his own against bigger guards. And I haven't even mentioned the fact that his precision from deep is matched by few in the class, and he can create his own shot whenever he wants it.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't fault anybody for drafting Ennis over Napier. But if we're being "blind homers", then your opinion - that drafting Napier over Ennis is "dumb and shortsighted" - seems like the opposite of that. In terms of traits that intrigue scouts, Napier has a couple things going for him - that were apparent even when he was a freshman - that Ennis lacks. Napier has an explosive first step, supreme quickness, and an instinctual understanding of the game that you just can't teach. Ennis might have that last part, but it isn't as if he's a kid that blows you away with his athleticism. Plus, given the restrictive nature of the 2-3 zone, it's unclear how well Ennis will translate to the next level defensively (my guess: not well). Napier's already proven to be able to effectively defend NBA players and hold his own against bigger guards. And I haven't even mentioned the fact that his precision from deep is matched by few in the class, and he can create his own shot whenever he wants it.

Right now Napier is quicker and a better shooter, but keep in mind Ennis shot better as a freshman than Shabazz did, so it's very possible that Ennis could catch up to him in that category.

I feel sick defending a 'Cuse guy against a UConn player, but there's a good reason why Ennis is ahead of Napier on most draft boards.

Reaction Score
Right now Napier is quicker and a better shooter, but keep in mind Ennis shot better as a freshman than Shabazz did, so it's very possible that Ennis could catch up to him in that category.

I feel sick defending a 'Cuse guy against a UConn player, but there's a good reason why Ennis is ahead of Napier on most draft boards.

The reason is because 'potential' is valued more highly than actual production, for some reason, in NBA circles. Huskyniner had a great point - teams drafting Brandon Knight over Kemba was based on Knight being a freshman with more 'potential,' even though Kemba beat him twice in that season, and was at the time undoubtedly the better player. I imagine that year you would have defended that decision on the same grounds. Napier will be a better NBA player than Ennis, of that I'm very confident.

Reaction Score
The reason is because 'potential' is valued more highly than actual production, for some reason, in NBA circles. Huskyniner had a great point - teams drafting Brandon Knight over Kemba was based on Knight being a freshman with more 'potential,' even though Kemba beat him twice in that season. I imagine that year you would have defended that decision on the same grounds. Napier will be a better NBA player than Ennis, of that I'm very confident.

Obviously the older player is going to usually show more production than the younger player, he's about two-three years older for an age frame (college) where that matters a lot.

I was never a huge Brandon Knight fan, but when in doubt I'll go with the younger player. He was always turnover prone. As a result, he's a tweener in the NBA. Ennis doesn't have that problem.

There are examples that go the other way as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Shabazz Napier gets picked in the lottery, UConn will have its pick of point guard recruits for the next 5-8 years, at least. I know a lot of you want DeAndre to come back, but the best thing that could happen to UConn long term is for DeAndre to get picked in the first round of this year's draft. And if Ollie could pull a string or two and get Giffey signed as a free agent somewhere, jackpot.

When Calhoun got Gordon and Okafor picked in the first 3 spots of the 2004 draft, it solidified him as the best player development coach in the country from a recruiting standpoint for the remainder of his career. A successful UConn draft this year might not have that kind of impact, but it will be a huge step in that direction.

All you guys rooting for DeAndre to drop in the rankings and come back to UConn need to realize that DeAndre not going pro this year is a negative in recruiting.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
All you guys rooting for DeAndre to drop in the rankings and come back to UConn need to realize that DeAndre not going pro this year is a negative in recruiting.

What if he comes back next year and leads us to a title and goes #1 overall? That would be worse for recruiting than him going #30 in the first round this year? Ok.

Reaction Score
I think Bazz will be a better version of Derek Fisher. He`ll end up being a guy that plays in the league a long time and will be a winner. He is going to be the vet teams are going to look for when they need one more piece for a championship many years down the line. He wont be an all star but hes going to be a solid player.

Reaction Score
Check out the Cuse board. Sure, it may be sour grapes, but a large percentage of their fans seem to think Ennis is overrated and is striking while the iron is hot. A lot of their fans think Ennis over Napier is absurd.

Reaction Score
Just keep in mind that D.J. Augustin went in the lottery... D.J. Augustin... but somehow Bazz isn't a 1st round pick? I realize Augustin was younger when he got drafted, but still. He's not even a better player than Bazz TODAY.

Reaction Score
Some commentators think Bazz is small. I have stood right next to him--I'm 6-2 and my guess is he's a shade over 6 feet with shoes on maybe 6 feet and a half also he's pretty muscular looking in person--hes not a small guy. Boatright is 2 + inches shorter than Bazz--atleast from what I could tell.

Reaction Score
If Shabazz Napier gets picked in the lottery, UConn will have its pick of point guard recruits for the next 5-8 years, at least. I know a lot of you want DeAndre to come back, but the best thing that could happen to UConn long term is for DeAndre to get picked in the first round of this year's draft. And if Ollie could pull a string or two and get Giffey signed as a free agent somewhere, jackpot.

When Calhoun got Gordon and Okafor picked in the first 3 spots of the 2004 draft, it solidified him as the best player development coach in the country from a recruiting standpoint for the remainder of his career. A successful UConn draft this year might not have that kind of impact, but it will be a huge step in that direction.

Long term? Talk about being short sighted. How can you possibly think it's better to have a non-lottery player like DD leave early just to get picked lower than he would be next year when he might be a lotto? Won't that be a bigger positive than leaving this year? Win championships. Get guys picked in the lotto/1st round. Attract recruits. That's the chemistry. If players leave a year early and get drafted lower it will dilute the recipe for the real meal - championships, not enhance it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Long term? Talk about being short sighted. How can you possibly think it's better to have a non-lottery player like DD leave early just to get picked lower than he would be next year when he might be a lotto? Won't that be a bigger positive than leaving this year? Win championships. Get guys picked in the lotto/1st round. Attract recruits. That's the chemistry. If players leave a year early and get drafted lower it will dilute the recipe for the real meal - championships, not enhance it.

I would like Daniels to be the next Kobe Bryant, but Daniels is 22 years old already, so that probably isn't happening. There is no credible draft "expert" that thinks Daniels will ever be a lottery pick. If Daniels really busts his butt and has more talent than he has shown to date, he will be a quality starter in the NBA. Realistically, he will be a 7th or 8th rotation guy that can bring some offense. So the question is not whether Daniels is going to be in the lottery next year, the question is whether he has a credible shot to be taken anywhere in the first round this year, because if he does, he has to go. If Daniels was 19 years old, he could consider passing up a first round draft pick to come back to UConn.

And if Daniels comes back to UConn and does not get picked in the first round next year, every coach that Ollie recruits against will use Daniels as a cautionary tale.

Reaction Score
Some commentators think Bazz is small. I have stood right next to him--I'm 6-2 and my guess is he's a shade over 6 feet with shoes on maybe 6 feet and a half also he's pretty muscular looking in person--hes not a small guy. Boatright is 2 + inches shorter than Bazz--atleast from what I could tell.

I disagree, I was standing right next to Shabazz at the JDRF walk last season and I didn't realize it because he was so small. Boatright I noticed, but Bazz I thought was a child until boat came over and said "yo Bazz" and he turned. Granted I'm 6'4", but Bazz seemed like he was without a doubt below 6'

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would like Daniels to be the next Kobe Bryant, but Daniels is 22 years old already, so that probably isn't happening. There is no credible draft "expert" that thinks Daniels will ever be a lottery pick. If Daniels really busts his butt and has more talent than he has shown to date, he will be a quality starter in the NBA. Realistically, he will be a 7th or 8th rotation guy that can bring some offense. So the question is not whether Daniels is going to be in the lottery next year, the question is whether he has a credible shot to be taken anywhere in the first round this year, because if he does, he has to go. If Daniels was 19 years old, he could consider passing up a first round draft pick to come back to UConn.

He's flashed well above average NBA talent. That talent at that height is what is intriguing scouts. What he's lacked is consistency and motor. Scouts can't decide if he's a collegiate 20/10 guy like we saw for a few games at the end of the year, or the 8/6 guy they saw in the NC game (or a maddening combo of the two).

He also plays pretty good defense at this stage in his career (in evidence at the end of the year). He'll be a two way player in the NBA. Definitely no All Star, but has good player upside potential (if he busts his butt like you say).

If he can pack on some pounds in the NBA, that would really help as well. I don't believe this frame-deficiency BS.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Wasn't he measured at the CP3 camp at 6'1.5 w/ shoes?

Reaction Score
I always get my draft news from a cybersquatter like Aran Smith and encourage everyone else to do the same.

He can't possibly be wrong.
You've really mellowed. I preferred it when you used to threaten to murder people who would even mention his site's rankings.

Reaction Score
Bazz experiencing a Kemba-esque rise in draft stock. No one had Kemba or Bazz as first rounders going into their last seasons... Which is why Boat should come back IMO. If he proves he can run the O and put together a nice run he'll be a first rounder.

Reaction Score

In-duck*ing-sufferable. I would have thought it was beyond anyone's wildest imagination to make a case that getting Dre back for his Sr. year would be a bad thing. Congratulations.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
In-f* *ing-sufferable. I would have thought it was beyond anyone's wildest imagination to make a case that getting Dre back for his Sr. year would be a bad thing. Congratulations.
Don't you get it? Other coaches might use it against us!
Here I was thinking I wanted Daniels back because he's a good basketball player and I'd rather have him in Storrs than, say, Utah. How wrong I was.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In-f* *ing-sufferable. I would have thought it was beyond anyone's wildest imagination to make a case that getting Dre back for his Sr. year would be a bad thing. Congratulations.

I am not sure why my rooting for Daniels to make millions inspires such vitriol from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom