Navy brass bemoans changes in college football | The Boneyard

Navy brass bemoans changes in college football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only thing about the service academies in terms of meals is this...the class and practice schedules are very strict at the academies. If you don't play a varsity sport you do intramurals. Everything is based off a schedule and organization. There for dining hall hours aren't really an issue like they would be at other schools.

Reaction Score
I don't think the B1G would have any interest in adding Army.

Reaction Score
I kind of laugh at level playing field comments from the service academies. I was in Army finance in the service, so unless it has changed, the academies are the only schools that pay their athletes. They are able to do it because all cadets or midshipmen are paid at the E5 under two years level including athletes. I was part of the group at Ft Ben Harrison in Indianapolis that processed the pay vouchers for West Point in the late 60's. If this is not the case any longer feel free to correct me.

Any problems they have in getting recruits arise from their own height/weight guidelines and active duty commitment after graduation.

Reaction Score
I kind of laugh at level playing field comments from the service academies. I was in Army finance in the service, so unless it has changed, the academies are the only schools that pay their athletes. They are able to do it because all cadets or midshipmen are paid at the E5 under two years level including athletes. I was part of the group at Ft Ben Harrison in Indianapolis that processed the pay vouchers for West Point in the late 60's. If this is not the case any longer feel free to correct me.

Any problems they have in getting recruits arise from their own height/weight guidelines and active duty commitment after graduation.
Exactly at the Naval Academy they are considered active duty with a non-com pay grade. The joke is you get this money but all your time belongs to the academy with little or no time to spend what you make.
Gross monthly pay is defined by Federal Law.

US CODE - TITLE 37 > CHAPTER 3 > § 203

(c) A cadet at the United States Military Academy, the United States Air Force Academy, or the Coast Guard Academy, or a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy, is entitled to monthly cadet pay, or midshipman pay, at the monthly rate equal to 35 percent of the basic pay of a commissioned officer in the pay grade O–1 with less than two years of service.

Reaction Score
This is from the instructions for 2014 cadet candidates.

MONTHLY DISTRIBUTION OF PAY
Salary Earned ...................................... $961.00
Distribution:
Federal Income Tax ..................................15.27
State Income Tax .....................................13.41
FICA ...................................................... 73.51
SGLI (Servicemember’s Life Insurance) ......... 27.00
Repayment of Advance ............................. 265.00
Cadet Account Deposit ..............................341.81
Checking Account Allowance ...................... 225.00
Total ..................................................... $961.00

The cadet account is for things such as haircuts, laundry, books, uniform items, etc. The amount you get to spend (checking account allowance) increases each year.

Reaction Score
This is from the instructions for 2014 cadet candidates.

MONTHLY DISTRIBUTION OF PAY
Salary Earned ........ $961.00
Distribution:
Federal Income Tax .........15.27
State Income Tax .......13.41
FICA ......... 73.51
SGLI (Servicemember’s Life Insurance) .... 27.00
Repayment of Advance ......... 265.00
Cadet Account Deposit .....341.81
Checking Account Allowance ....... 225.00
Total ............. $961.00

The cadet account is for things such as haircuts, laundry, books, uniform items, etc. The amount you get to spend (checking account allowance) increases each year.

Thanks for the update. The numbers are higher than they were when I paid them but the breakdown is about the same. Also the Cadet account Deposit was seldom fully spent so it accumulated from month to month. I remember cutting some pretty good sized checks to graduating cadets when they left WP. They are also paid TDY (temporary duty pay) when on assignment away fro their permanent duty station. So when they play away games they pick up a little extra cash (as does the band, chear leaders, etc.)

By the way, I am in no way begrudging paying cadets and midshipmen. Most of them will earn it through their later service.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Does the pay change if you are married or have kids?

Reaction Score
Does the pay change if you are married or have kids?

No wife's or husbands ,you can't be pregnant ,or have any obligation to support a child.
The Air Force as recent as last year ,changed the rules to allow single parents,or wives or husbands of active airman/women. To enter officer training but not the academy.
We are talking a different world.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the update. The numbers are higher than they were when I paid them but the breakdown is about the same. Also the Cadet account Deposit was seldom fully spent so it accumulated from month to month. I remember cutting some pretty good sized checks to graduating cadets when they left WP. They are also paid TDY (temporary duty pay) when on assignment away fro their permanent duty station. So when they play away games they pick up a little extra cash (as does the band, chear leaders, etc.)

By the way, I am in no way begrudging paying cadets and midshipmen. Most of them will earn it through their later service.
My friends son took a visit to USNA a few years ago .They pointed out most Cadets usually end up with a pretty nice car at the end of 4 years. It's better than student loans.

Reaction Score

But they pay everyone, not just athletes. That's part of the program.
How many athletes have turned down an offer from any other school to attend The USMA because of thi pay? Surprised if it's more than zero.
Your last comment was spot on.
What I don't get is how Navy has been competitive while Army struggles so mightily.

Reaction Score
How many athletes have turned down an offer from any other school to attend The USMA because of thi pay? Surprised if it's more than zero.
What I don't get is how Navy has been competitive while Army struggles so mightily.

I know they pay everyone. That's what I said. Since everyone is paid, athletes do not get "special treatment" compared to other cadets under NCAA rules. That does not mean the academies were not providing a better financial deal than any other NCAA schools could give their players. That is why I find it funny when they make comments about other schools now being able to provide "full cost of attendance". They have been providing full cost + forever.

The reason they are not able to get top athletes is that (unless you are Roger Staubach) you don't want to put in the active duty years after graduation. I guess you could also hope to be a David Robinson and have a growth spurt while you are at the academy and end up being too tall to serve.

Reaction Score
I don't think the B1G would have any interest in adding Army.

But you see they have ground forces, air cavalry, tanks etc. and they will get air cover and support from their equally disenfranchised brethren at the Air Force and Naval academies. Maybe Army, Navy and Air Force will do the adding - like "adding" the ACC, the B1G, SEC, Big 12 and the Pac - 12. P-5? Right.

Reaction Score
The Navy can offer advancement in more tech areas, including Naval Air. For people not looking for a military career a post active duty career is a consideration.
Army has no air corp and although increasing in technical innovation ,the infantry is still the primary destination. Since we have been fighting grueling land wars for over 10 years. If your a West Point grad chances of ending up on the ground in combat are very good. Where people actually shoot at you.
At sea we are pretty unopposed.
If your son or daughter had a choice which one would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom