National Player of the Year: Anatomy of a Campaign | Page 2 | The Boneyard

National Player of the Year: Anatomy of a Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I was talking Loyd vs Jefferson, not Loyd vs Stewart. Stewart is definitely the best player in the nation.

Reaction Score
Loyd is a better scorer, rebounder, has to face the other team's best defender every game, and faces the pressure of carrying her team every night. They are in very different circumstances and it's hard to compare since they play different roles for their team.
you live in one of those states where they legalized the ganja cause you gotta be on something if you think Loyd is better at anything then Stewart. she would not be the best guard or player on Uconn.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I was talking Loyd vs Jefferson, not Loyd vs Stewart. Stewart is definitely the best player in the nation.
Ah, that is very different. But MoJeff is not expected to do much rebounding with Stewie, Tuck, KML, Stokes, and Williams dominating the boards on the better rebounding Husky team. Scoring should also take accuracy into consideration, and Loyd's 44.6% and 33.7% FG and 3ptFG shooting are far below MoJeff's 57.4% and 50.4%. Plus MoJeff has 52 more assists, 36 more steals, and 35 less turnovers. About the only thing Loyd has over MoJeff is the much higher ppg as a shooting guard rather than a point guard, but she has taken 504 shots to MoJeff's 263. Loyd has actually missed more shots than MoJeff has taken, with 269 misses.

Like MoJeff's stats much better.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Ah, that is very different. But MoJeff is not expected to do much rebounding with Stewie, Tuck, KML, Stokes, and Williams dominating the boards on the better rebounding Husky team. Scoring should also take accuracy into consideration, and Loyd's 44.6% and 33.7% FG and 3ptFG shooting are far below MoJeff's 57.4% and 50.4%. Plus MoJeff has 52 more assists, 36 more steals, and 35 less turnovers. About the only thing Loyd has over MoJeff is the much higher ppg as a shooting guard rather than a point guard, but she has taken 504 shots to MoJeff's 263. Loyd has actually missed more shots than MoJeff has taken, with 269 misses.

Like MoJeff's stats much better.

They play very different roles on their team, which swings both ways. Loyd isn't expected to be her team's leading assister--Allen is (and Loyd still has over 100 assists). Loyd is expected to be their leading scorer, so she has to take more shots, often times facing the team's best defender, and she's their bail out person when the offense breaks down. Jefferson is supposed to set up her team's two best scorers, Stewart and KML, and take the offense given to her.

Put it another way: Jefferson had potentially the worst game of her career against ND this year: 0 points, 2 assists, 5 turnovers. And UConn still won by 18 with her putting up a bagel. That takes a lot of pressure off her that Loyd faces every game.

Reaction Score
I would guess Mo plays less minutes and might even be a better free throw shooter as well.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
FT% is about even. They do play different roles, but Loyd had probably her worst game against UNC on 4-11 for 8 points and her team still won. So yeah, teams can still win when either has an off game. Simply put, MoJeff has the better stats.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
FT% is about even. They do play different roles, but Loyd had probably her worst game against UNC on 4-11 for 8 points and her team still won. So yeah, teams can still win when either has an off game. Simply put, MoJeff has the better stats.

I think Loyd was under the weather in that game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A lot of good stuff. Stewie is the best player maybe pro or amateur. Loyd is very good and the poster who said they play different roles is correct. However there are many really good guards in WCBB. Many who if they had to and their team depended on them to score 20 a nite could. However in every aspect of the game Stewie is much much better then any other player and there is no post player guard forward or any body who plays any position that can do what Stewie does on both sides of the ball. Nobody. Loyd leads her team because there is no other player that can. Stewie leads her team and almost any of the starters can. Huge differences. However it appears the powers to be want Loyd and not another UConn player. Lets face it UConn wins almost everything every year so its about time to give it to somebody else. JMO but lets face it some people do think that way. It will be interesting to see who votes which way for NPOY and first team AAs. Stewie KML and Mojeff should all be 1st team AAs because they've earned it not because they play for UConn. Some voters may not want 3 UConn players 1st team. We can wait and see. Loyd and Mitchell should also be 1st team imo. That's it. I will not be happy if Stewie is NPOY or coNPOY because she is a very special player the type player that we have never seen in WCBB. JMO folks.

Reaction Score
A lot of good stuff. Stewie is the best player maybe pro or amateur. Loyd is very good and the poster who said they play different roles is correct. However there are many really good guards in WCBB. Many who if they had to and their team depended on them to score 20 a nite could. However in every aspect of the game Stewie is much much better then any other player and there is no post player guard forward or any body who plays any position that can do what Stewie does on both sides of the ball. Nobody. Loyd leads her team because there is no other player that can. Stewie leads her team and almost any of the starters can. Huge differences. However it appears the powers to be want Loyd and not another UConn player. Lets face it UConn wins almost everything every year so its about time to give it to somebody else. JMO but lets face it some people do think that way. It will be interesting to see who votes which way for NPOY and first team AAs. Stewie KML and Mojeff should all be 1st team AAs because they've earned it not because they play for UConn. Some voters may not want 3 UConn players 1st team. We can wait and see. Loyd and Mitchell should also be 1st team imo. That's it. I will not be happy if Stewie is NPOY or coNPOY because she is a very special player the type player that we have never seen in WCBB. JMO folks.
Maya and DT were pretty good. Stewie lacks the killer instinct of those two. Stewie will have also benefited from playing 80% of her games against AAC competition.

Reaction Score
Anybody who has common sense knows Stewart is the best college player in the country.....period! There is no question about that. Who played with USA basketball going into their junior year!? The country knows deep down who the better player is, but she has to have some competitors for the award and Jewell is the next best thing...maybe! The only thing Stewie has going against her that I'm sure will come into consideration is the conference in which she plays in. That's just reality, they'll look at Stewart's numbers vs Jewell's and say Jewell's done more against better competition! I'm more than positive Stewart would put up BETTER numbers if UCONN were in a more competitive conference. She'll get more playing time, and her number would be even more solid than they are. Its CLEAR!
O.....and Jewell has the "Jewelly-oop!" :rolleyes:....I've grow so tired of hearing that! Pat and Geno used to utilize that same play with Maya and Parker....i never heard a "Maya-oop"or "Parker-oop"

Reaction Score
Maya and DT were pretty good. Stewie lacks the killer instinct of those two. Stewie will have also benefited from playing 80% of her games against AAC competition.
On the big Stage Stewie already has two FFMOP awards, so yes she has the killer instinct on the most important stage, and a possibility of 2 more. The object is not how great you are during the regular season, what counts are the 6 games in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Anybody who has common sense knows Stewart is the best college player in the country.....period! There is no question about that. Who played with USA basketball going into their junior year!? The country knows deep down who the better player is, but she has to have some competitors for the award and Jewell is the next best thing...maybe! The only thing Stewie has going against her that I'm sure will come into consideration is the conference in which she plays in. That's just reality, they'll look at Stewart's numbers vs Jewell's and say Jewell's done more against better competition! I'm more than positive Stewart would put up BETTER numbers if UCONN were in a more competitive conference. She'll get more playing time, and her number would be even more solid than they are. Its CLEAR!
O.....and Jewell has the "Jewelly-oop!" :rolleyes:....I've grow so tired of hearing that! Pat and Geno used to utilize that same play with Maya and Parker....i never heard a "Maya-oop"or "Parker-oop"
Parker could dunk though which was pretty cool. The Jewelly-oops is just dumb. We have a freshman that likes to do the same thing though she is much less successful with it.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
On the big Stage Stewie already has two FFMOP awards, so yes she has the killer instinct on the most important stage, and a possibility of 2 more. The object is not how great you are during the regular season, what counts are the 6 games in the NCAA tournament.
I was thinking along the same lines. We have never seen Stewie in a situation where her team was losing their final game of the season, but she has still performed impressively enough to be selected MOP of 2 final fours. Saying she lacks killer instinct is unfounded.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree, of course, that Stewie is rightful POY, and as much as I love Rebecca (a lot, a lot), I think she's out of her mind if she sticks with her early lean (sounds like she might not). But I think we sometimes forget how badly people outside our fan base are dying for any indication that UConn isn't tops at EVERYTHING. I think we're just experiencing another upsurge of Alana Beard Syndrome, not a rational belief that Lloyd's better. On the other vital issue raised in this thread, Shrieve YES! But I have to say that my impression of Charlie Watts is that he’s about as lazy as Maya Moore.

Reaction Score
On the other vital issue raised in this thread, Shrieve YES! But I have to say that my impression of Charlie Watts is that he’s about as lazy as Maya Moore.
I totally agree on Charlie Watts. I'm not a drummer, but I think he SOOOOO gets it. Master of "less is more"

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Which stats are better?

I'd say MoJeff has the better stats a PG should have. Loyd has the better stats a SG should have. MoJeff has better shooting numbers because she's absurdly talented and also the 3rd/4th option on offense. I'll give you steals but that may have more to do with level of competition in conference.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Which stats are better?

I'd say MoJeff has the better stats a PG should have. Loyd has the better stats a SG should have. MoJeff has better shooting numbers because she's absurdly talented and also the 3rd/4th option on offense. I'll give you steals but that may have more to do with level of competition in conference.

What 'better' SG stats does Loyd have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc