Natalie Butler, The forgotten woman | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler, The forgotten woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coco- Haha, that was my post and my thoughts at the time were, in light of all the nonstop chatter and excitement over Katie Lou and Napheesa, that there were other kids coming up (and on the roster now) who deserved some attention. too. As I saw it, De'Janae wasn't being talked about less, she was being completely ignored. And that pissed me off.
Imagine how the young lady felt if you in fact were p'o'd with her being ignored. I have only concluded that Butler is the more likely starter because she had a full year of practice learning everything CD and Geno could toss at her. Will her conditioning allow her to participate in a very up tempo pace? Time answers. We can I think be comfortable that if NB starts then everyone on the bench will/should be able to come in and jump start the pace. Gabby and Saniya are as quick as anyone on the team ('cept for Mo of course), looking forward to seeing how KLS, Collier, and Boykin present and does Ekmark get some pace back after her injury issues. Like I said, what a fun time to be Geno.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think too much emphasis has been put on "up tempo" vs center centric half court, like it is one or the other. Frankly, I don't see Natalie starting meaning the Huskies cannot push the pace. Gabby was used as she was used last year because she had a learning curve deficit where she should have been used. Demonstrably she can continue to be used that way, but answer me this: She did not start last year, so why would Geno start her inside this year? Because Kiah is not around to come off the bench, so Natalie should slide into that role? And why did Kiah come in as opposed to starting - cuz she would not/could not turn on her offense. Don't stick Butler with that label before she has played a game for UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We speculate because UCONN must start 5 players and the roster has more than 5 players that are capable of starting. We speculate because we also don't know if Natalie can/will play defense at "UCONN's level" either. We speculate because it is the off season. We speculate because it is fun and per chance we speculated correctly we get to tell you "I told you so".
For the record: I'm speculating that Collier will be able to play defense and do many more things at the UCONN level & that KLS will be among the elite scorers in WCBB from the start of their college careers. If/when Natalie Butler beats out Collier & KLS for a starting position, this will not make our speculation wrong. It will just make Natalie Butler one hell of a player!

Coco.....You are not alone in your observations. Move over, let me get on that bandwagon. :p

Reaction Score
Coco.....You are not alone in your observations. Move over, let me get on that bandwagon. :p
Certain I think we can be that Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, & Nurse will start. I completely agree that the 5th could come from likely five. I don't see Ekmark and probably not Boykin but who knows. Collier, KLS, Chong, Williams, Butler, all could, only one will. Maybe the exhibition games will give us a clue. It will be a fun filled year for sure, can we go undefeated and secure #11 in the process? Listen for the screams, Break up the Huskies!!!!! Good luck with that!

Reaction Score
You replied to the wrong poster. muscat was the poster who started the thread not msf22b. The premises you disagree with were not stated by msf22b. Hence the confusion by a few posters following this post I'm quoting.

I find it interesting that you are making some ado over an "ado about nothing". And even more interesting that I'm adding to the ado(s) and don'ts.

Back to Natalie: I'm really looking forward to see her play for UConn. I've been excited since she transferred. I have no idea whether or not she reads publications about the team. There are people who derive motivation when they feel ignored or slighted. I'm not sure if this is important or not to Natalie.
Ado Ado kind friends Ado, I can no longer stay with you, so I'll hang my hat on a weeping willow tree, and may the world go well with thee---Ado!!

Reaction Score
Natalie Butler, as a transfer, hasn't been seen in Uconn action as of yet. So the pundits, scribes, commenters have not had a chance to see her in that context. Give them a chance to see what she can do. MAYBE they and we shall see something they are missing. I haven't seen her in action at Uconn yet either--but from her GT play in the BE, Geno, and a few of the BE coach comments--she is the real deal.

But I too think the comments on the Title or the promises of the Premises leave a little tact behind on an otherwise UConn Loving Site. Isn't that what the Boneyard is about --heralding all Uconn
Players, bench sitters, or star or those who transfer IN?

Reaction Score
I've been reading several of the preseason team reviews (the Sporting News, as far as I know, is the only one that doesn't have UCONN as the preseason number one). However, none of the three written reviews that I've seen have mentioned Butler at all. If she's as good as I think she's going to be, that's a big wild card that most of the "experts" are completely ignoring. Hope she takes that as motivation.
Butler will be an all star. She has the motivation, drive and genes to ensure she is a force in the middle. If what she did at Georgetown is any indication, she will excel here, as well.

Reaction Score
Natalie Butler, as a transfer, hasn't been seen in Uconn action as of yet. So the pundits, scribes, commenters have not had a chance to see her in that context. Give them a chance to see what she can do. MAYBE they and we shall see something they are missing. I haven't seen her in action at Uconn yet either--but from her GT play in the BE, Geno, and a few of the BE coach comments--she is the real deal.

But I too think the comments on the Title or the promises of the Premises leave a little tact behind on an otherwise UConn Loving Site. Isn't that what the Boneyard is about --heralding all Uconn
What? Where's the fun in that?

Reaction Score
What? Where's the fun in that?
It is a lot of fun to read different opinions that wax poetic on how great a new player will be, even a 6' 5"center who has worked to hone her skills and fitness for 12 months at UCONN.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Huh? Sorta Tennessee like. I don't get it. Watcha saying here? Seems to go round and round. Seriously, whatcha saying.

Reaction Score
Huh? Sorta Tennessee like. I don't get it. Watcha saying here? Seems to go round and round. Seriously, whatcha saying.
Didn't get fur nuff in skool to larn to read?? Did ya??

Reaction Score
From everything I've read, Natalie Butler is a Stefanie Dolson clone! Even her personality is Dolson-like! She has also lost 25+ lbs.! Her Game is going to be up tempo not Kara Wolters slow! I think the Huskie faithful will be pleasantly pleased with MS.Butler! She'll be an AA before she leaves CT!

Reaction Score
From everything I've read, Natalie Butler is a Stefanie Dolson clone! Even her personality is Dolson-like! She has also lost 25+ lbs.! Her Game is going to be up tempo not Kara Wolters slow! I think the Huskie faithful will be pleasantly pleased with MS.Butler! She'll be an AA before she leaves CT!
I hope you are right but! I get upset when people down play her ability and suggest an incoming freshman will start before her so I have to respond to your optimism with the same skepticism. Let's give her a chance to show us what she can do before we crown her. Play ball!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have only concluded that Butler is the more likely starter because she had a full year of practice learning everything CD and Geno could toss at her.
So did Williams (and she actually got to play).

Point is having a full year of practice does not necessarily make one a starter. Stokes had 4 years of practice and everything Geno and CD could throw at her, and she could never command a starting position.

Not saying Butler won't start (I don't know), she may well. But some of the reasoning from the "Butler Starts" camp is rather flimsy.

Reaction Score
So did Williams (and she actually got to play).

Point is having a full year of practice does not necessarily make one a starter. Stokes had 4 years of practice and everything Geno and CD could throw at her, and she could never command a starting position.

Not saying Butler won't start (I don't know), she may well. But some of the reasoning from the "Butler Starts" camp is rather flimsy.
1. Agreed that we don't know who will be starter 5. I think most of us also agree that the returning four, barring injury or something really stupid, will start on 11/16.
2. No dispute, Gabby did play and Butler did not. But I have leaned toward 6'5" all other things being equal, because how does that saying go.....you can't teach tall.
3. BTW went to the link for the "intros" of the three freshman and was much surprised when KLS described herself as a guard. Boy would that create matchup problems for the rest of the country.
The clock ticks, the season is rapidly approaching, happiness is near.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2. No dispute, Gabby did play and Butler did not. But I have leaned toward 6'5" all other things being equal, because how does that saying go.....you can't teach tall.
Yes, that's a more coherent argument.

Reaction Score
I talked to Natalie Butler at the autographs before the super show and she was so excited to be eligible to play! She said it's a dream come true! All the girls are just really neat people who happen to be great basketball players! And Gabby Williams said she's a FORWARD not a guard! I told the 3 freshmen welcome to CT with the crazy fans, they all said that's one reason they came to UCONN, the fan base!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And Gabby Williams said she's a FORWARD not a guard!

I keep reiterating this but everyone seems intent on moving her back into the backcourt. The UConn website keeps listing her as a guard but I don't think their labels can be taken at face value. They list Collier as a guard too.

Reaction Score
I am really hoping(as is everybody I'm sure) that Butler's thumb injury is not that serious. She has worked so hard and it would be a shame if she was forced to miss practices and fall behind the rest of the team.

Reaction Score
I keep reiterating this but everyone seems intent on moving her back into the backcourt. The UConn website keeps listing her as a guard but I don't think their labels can be taken at face value. They list Collier as a guard too.
She will need to demonstrate her outside shooting and ballhandling skills to show she can play in the backcourt. Maybe she already has. I particularly like the idea of her slashing towards the basket and soaring for rebounds from the guard spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom