Natalie Butler is going to start & play well next year.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler is going to start & play well next year....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tough crowd hah... I've seen plenty of "opinions" like yours where you boast and holler about how incredibly amazing a player is, even with no credible facts to back it up. I have no doubt Natalie is talented but there have been way too many posts that claim incoming players or players who played insignificant minutes the previous year to magically make a leap in AA status/ are better than players from other schools who have proven to be good. Everyone who frequents this board knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm even going to go as far to say that a lot of these posters who ride their high horse when the wins come are the first to jump ship when something goes wrong (e.g. The early loss to stanford) and point the finger at the players they talked up so much.

Really sad to see such a great program have such obnoxious fans (not all, but some). UCONN is coached by a master of his craft, with players who play their butts off and some of you still feel the need to brag info what is already well known. Steward, Lewis, Jefferson and Tuck (big fan of Tuck's story) all have shown what they can do and have proved any accolades that come their way. I say, let them play.
I think Butler proved herself to be good when she was freshman of the year in the Big East and yet it's YOU who seems to be doing a little denigrating of her ability here. Isn't that what you were suggesting other people were doing here in YOUR first paragraph??? She's already proved something and should only get better since it's very seldom that people get worse as they mature and get more physically fit and get better training, right?????? Would you suggest that she and her skills deteriorate under Geno's and his staffs tutelage???? I don't think there has been a lot of talk here about how she's guaranteed to be some AA but a few have talked of the "hope" based on things she's ALREADY done and the suggested improvement of our able staff. Would it be that absurd????? Stef came a long way from her freshman year and this Ms Butler has a great work ethic so could she??? Would you bet your Soul that she isn't capable????

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Tough crowd hah... I've seen plenty of "opinions" like yours where you boast and holler about how incredibly amazing a player is, even with no credible facts to back it up. I have no doubt Natalie is talented but there have been way too many posts that claim incoming players or players who played insignificant minutes the previous year to magically make a leap in AA status/ are better than players from other schools who have proven to be good. Everyone who frequents this board knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm even going to go as far to say that a lot of these posters who ride their high horse when the wins come are the first to jump ship when something goes wrong (e.g. The early loss to stanford) and point the finger at the players they talked up so much.

Really sad to see such a great program have such obnoxious fans (not all, but some). UCONN is coached by a master of his craft, with players who play their butts off and some of you still feel the need to brag info what is already well known. Steward, Lewis, Jefferson and Tuck (big fan of Tuck's story) all have shown what they can do and have proved any accolades that come their way. I say, let them play.

You still don't understand how this works...pay attention, I'll explain. Yes, I have an opinion, or as you call it, an "opinion." My opinion is Butler will start next year and play well. How is that a "boast and holler"? Where did I say anything about her being AA. I didn't, and yet you keep bringing up a "magical leap to AA status" when quoting MY posts. I have no idea or opinion whether Butler will be All American. Too early to tell.

You say I have an "opinion" with "no credible facts." Here's a list of MY credible fact. Some may even be "incredible." Go to my OP, they are all there. (top of the page)
1. Butler started as a freshman. Fact.
2. Butler averaged a "double-double" in points and rebounds for an entire season. Fact.
3. She finished the season w/ 445 points and 425 rebounds. Fact.
4. She had two good games against UConn common opponents, Penn State & California. Fact.
5. Geno likes her and her effort so far. Fact.
6. The trainer has said she is working extremely hard getting in shape. Fact.
7. She is 6"5" tall. Fact.
8. You say Butler played "insignificant minutes the previous year." She played 1,157 minutes, the most of ANY Georgetown player. You are wrong! Fact.

Is there an adult in the house that can help you understand all this, because very few on this board have any idea what you are talking about. And that's another fact. Feel free to keep this going, but truthfully, you're just embarrassing yourself. I stated a straight forward opinion and listed many credible facts I felt were relevant. Disagree if you want, but comment on what I wrote, not on something I didn't write.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If you don't like our style why not sign off for a while, say two years or so?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Should at least be able to spell Stewart right on the BY. Hope you don't spell the Gamecocks' Wilson and Mitchell as Dilson and Twitchell.

Can you spell troll, Tommy? Rhymes with a hole.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Natalie will be one of UConn's all-time great centers, maybe the greatest. Scoff if you want, but look at what she did without much help. Stef was incredible her last two years, no question. However, when you play with Breanna, Bria, KML and Moriah, it does make the game just a bit easier. Wait till you see what Natalie does playing with Breanna, Morgan, Moriah, Kia, Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, De'Janae, Saniya, and Courtney. Next year's starters will most likely be: Breanna, Morgan, Moriah, Kia and Natalie with Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, De'Janae, Saniya and Courtney coming off the bench. The second team will be better than most teams' first team. It's scary to think how good UConn will be next year. Go Huskies. Number 10 this year. Number 11 next year. Another UConn record, four in a row.

You don't mean: "Just wait 'til next year, do you?" ;)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Tommy - I would say thank you for your interest in UConn Women's Basketball, but you obviously don't have any.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Natalie will be one of UConn's all-time great centers, maybe the greatest. Scoff if you want, but look at what she did without much help.
hmmm, that's putting a lot of pressure on her. Maybe the greatest? That would make her an AA/NPOY/WNBA All-star/Olympian. You're talking better than Dolson, Wolters, and Charles?? Big shoes there. I'm hoping more like JMoore+, pushing towards Dolson. That would be fine with me. All we need really. Just an inside presence. Rebound, defend, some offense. Don't need the offense to run through her. She can easily be the 4th/5th option when she's on the floor.

Does she start next year? IDK. How far does Williams come this year and next? Will Samuelson or Collier be as good as advertised? A lot of competition for that 1 starting spot next year. Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Nurse pretty much have the other 4 places locked up (absent any injuries or total meltdowns). Does Geno want some height off the bench or starting? Does he want a straight replacement for KML?

It wouldn't surprise me to see any of Butler, Williams, or Samuelson start next year. I think Collier could too, but it would surprise me some.

But that's so next year. I'd rather just enjoy the ride this year.

Reaction Score
Morgan is not a true center and won't play center in the WNBA. Natalie is a center, and it would allow Morgan to play against people her size or slightly smaller. She's already playing extremely well. Playing against smaller opponents will increase her productivity. As for Natalie, she will be great. Why settle for less.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Morgan is not a true center and won't play center in the WNBA. Natalie is a center, and it would allow Morgan to play against people her size or slightly smaller.
True but UCONN isn't playing with a true center this year, and has played without one in the past. No guarentee that they "have to" play with one in the future.

As for Natalie, she will be great. Why settle for less.
I hope you are right. I'll settle for her to be as good as she can be. But if that's not the greatest center UCONN has ever had, I'm fine with that. Most players who come to UCONN aren't going to be the best at their position UCONN has ever had. UCONN has had some really really great players. Most of them aren't going to be AA's or NPOY's.

Reaction Score
When a player as talented as Natalie comes along, you don't sit her on the bench. Geno has had very few transfers in his thirty years. There's a reason he accepted Natalie into the program. Who gave UConn the most trouble two years ago in the tournament? Brigham Young, who had a 6'7" center. Until near the end, that victory was no sure thing.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Because of the statements on this post, it's pretty apparent Butler should already be considered a first team AA this year along with Stokes and Ekmark!!! Nevermind that she hasn't played one game in a Husky jersey/under a different coaching staff/new system, she is "going to start & play well next year" so there's no reason wait todeclare her an AA!

Trying to figure out what you're beating the drum for TomTom.

JS

Reaction Score
Trying to figure out what you're beating the drum for TomTom.
When he injected the same sort of sarcastic apparent trollery into a first and then a second thread, I said he'd have to find another way to contribute.

Now we have a third thread infected. We get it already. He thinks UConn fans are too enthusiastic about their team's players and prospective players.

One who takes the trouble to familiarize himself with what is going on on the Boneyard will see that David's post is a continuation of a debate that's been conducted (by Slu and others) in other threads, and is not just a random "boast" about a player.

Nor a boast at all. Yet Tommy seems to find such a post (factual though it may be, and on a UConn board) outrageous.

Is he more stimulating, or more just a nuisance? That is the question.

Marching to the beat of his own drum, or TomTom as you put it, Ozzie. Thing about marchers is they have to watch their step.

229805-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Moodie-Character-With-One-Foot-In-The-Grave.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't think there's any question that Butler will be a better rebounder than Stef was because Stef, particularly in the early part of her time in Storrs, was not a very good rebounder for someone who was 6'5". She improved appreciably but even at the end, wasn't a great rebounder. Did she ever average double digit rebounds? This kid did it as a freshman and with a less than talented team. My concerns will be for her defensive quickness and if she manages that and scores inside ten feet, she's going to be okay with me. With the amount of talent she'll be sharing the floor with, I'm thinking she (and UConn) will be fine. The perfect accessory for our team.

Dolson averaged a little over 9 rebounds a game her senior year. Considering she was rebounding along with Stewart and Stokes, that 9+ is a pretty great rebounding stat.

I think Lobo might be the last UCONN player who averaged over 10 rebounds. I don't think even Charles ever hit the 10 boards a game mark.

Reaction Score
Kiah wasn't on the team Stef's first year, and she played sparingly Stef's sophomore and junior seasons. It wasn't until Stef was a senior, that Kiah played meaningful minutes. Natalie probably won't accumulate gaudy numbers because no one on UConn has high-ranking individual stats. The gaudy numbers are in career stats and championship trophies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Dolson averaged a little over 9 rebounds a game her senior year. Considering she was rebounding along with Stewart and Stokes, that 9+ is a pretty great rebounding stat.

I think Lobo might be the last UCONN player who averaged over 10 rebounds. I don't think even Charles ever hit the 10 boards a game mark.
Early in her career frequently contributed to the rebounds collected by others with great boxing out leaving space for Kelly or others to sweep in cleaning up the boards. Doing so is not an unimportant contribution to team effort.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Very true. Double digit rebounding is pretty rare at UCONN. It's usually spread out and people don't get enough minutes.

Reaction Score
Early in her career frequently contributed to the rebounds collected by others with great boxing out leaving space for Kelly or others to sweep in cleaning up the boards. Doing so is not an unimportant contribution to team effort.

Completely agree. Her senior year she seemed more aggressive in going after the ball after the box out as opposed to boxing out then letting others grab it.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. Her senior year she seemed more aggressive in going after the ball after the box out as opposed to boxing out then letting others grab it.
That allowed Stewie to get out on fast breaks, which led to many easy baskets, and the same when Stewie was in position, Stef got fast break baskets. This year Stewie hasn't had the same opportunities, unless Kiah is in the game.

Reaction Score

Dolson did get better as a rebounder but she was never a great rebounder. Her rebounding average for minutes played was never close to what Stokes is for her amount of minutes played. That's just a fact. She was a well rounded player and was instrumental in the success of the Huskies in their last two championship seasons. She was a more proficient passer and scorer than she was a rebounder.

Reaction Score
We are lucky to have her and she gets a free year to grow and become a UCONN type post player........Lookout!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox is better than Natalie Chou...

Just wanted to add something totally random and irrelevant as has happened in several other threads. Didn't want Davit's thread to feel left out of the insanity! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom