Natalie Butler is going to start & play well next year.... | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler is going to start & play well next year....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
butler.jpg

IMO. Natalie Butler started as a freshman last year at Georgetown and averaged a double-double, 13.9 points and 13.3 rebounds. She finished the season with 445 points & 425 rebounds. Some on the BY discount those stats because she played on a weak team and/or in a weak conference.

But Georgetown and UConn played two common opponents, Penn State & California. How did Butler play against those two teams compared to Stef Dolson? ;)

Penn State - Butler had 9 rebounds, 12 points
- Dolson had 11 rebounds, 3 points
California - Butler had 15 rebounds, 16 points
- Dolson had 11 rebounds, 8 points

I'm not saying Butler is better than Dolson in any way. In fact, I hope Butler will reach Stef's level some day, after lots of hard work. :cool:

But the posters who discount Butler's play, as a freshman, need to explain how she matched or beat Dolson's numbers against common opponents. I can hear it now...how many minutes did each play, home or away, Stewie stole all the points, the lighting was bad, the dog ate my homework....:rolleyes:

Bottom line = Geno likes her, the trainer says she is working like a dog & you can't teach 6'5"....

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So you're one of the deniers, eh? You obviously haven't spent much time around dogs.

But Natalie is one of the reasons I have an optimistic outlook for humanity and good times in the years to come.

dog-homework1.jpg

Reaction Score
DAVID: them's (continue to be ) my sentiments, almost exactly. Nifty that you dug up those comparative stats. Very interesting.
Never having seen her play, my instincts and all I've read about her continue to lead me to think she has a real opportunity to play at Dolson's level before she leaves here; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see her do better in some, if not many, aspects of the game on a per-season, per-minute average. (I say per-minute because I think we will be so loaded next year that, even as a starter, she might not get a ton of minutes per game.)

Reaction Score
Natalie Butler started as a freshman last year at Georgetown and averaged a double-double, 13.9 points and 13.3 rebounds. She finished the season with 445 points & 425 rebounds.
And, when she decided to rebound from Georgetown, it was UConn's baskets that she battled to shoot for. There would have been no battle anywhere else. It would have been a slam-dunk at ANY other school.

This woman is going to be a winner for UConn. I'm hoping that she decides to to play for three more years instead of just two. An M.A. or M.S. would look great after her name!

Reaction Score
View attachment 8140

IMO. Natalie Butler started as a freshman last year at Georgetown and averaged a double-double, 13.9 points and 13.3 rebounds. She finished the season with 445 points & 425 rebounds. Some on the BY discount those stats because she played on a weak team and/or in a weak conference.

But Georgetown and UConn played two common opponents, Penn State & California. How did Butler play against those two teams compared to Stef Dolson? ;)

Penn State - Butler had 9 rebounds, 12 points
- Dolson had 11 rebounds, 3 points
California - Butler had 15 rebounds, 16 points
- Dolson had 11 rebounds, 8 points

I'm not saying Butler is better than Dolson in any way. In fact, I hope Butler will reach Stef's level some day, after lots of hard work. :cool:

But the posters who discount Butler's play, as a freshman, need to explain how she matched or beat Dolson's numbers against common opponents. I can hear it now...how many minutes did each play, home or away, Stewie stole all the points, the lighting was bad, the dog ate my homework....:rolleyes:

Bottom line = Geno likes her, the trainer says she is working like a dog & you can't teach 6'5"....

Go Huskies..!!
Interesting, nice job!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oh come on, David. You can't tell squat from her playing at G-town, and she was not surrounded by really good players like she will be at UCONN. How can you even make any predictions at all? Don't pretend like you are Carnac the Magnificent. I am appalled and offended by your post! <sarcasm off!> ;)

Reaction Score
Natalie will be one of UConn's all-time great centers, maybe the greatest. Scoff if you want, but look at what she did without much help. Stef was incredible her last two years, no question. However, when you play with Breanna, Bria, KML and Moriah, it does make the game just a bit easier. Wait till you see what Natalie does playing with Breanna, Morgan, Moriah, Kia, Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, De'Janae, Saniya, and Courtney. Next year's starters will most likely be: Breanna, Morgan, Moriah, Kia and Natalie with Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, De'Janae, Saniya and Courtney coming off the bench. The second team will be better than most teams' first team. It's scary to think how good UConn will be next year. Go Huskies. Number 10 this year. Number 11 next year. Another UConn record, four in a row.

Reaction Score
Reports are Natalie is an incredibly hard worker, a super nice kid, and a great teammate who is improving her skill sets every day playing against the best kids in the nation in practice, getting herself in great shape, and chomping at the bit for the day she finally takes the court as a Husky next year. She's gonna be great, and I can't wait.

Reaction Score
Because of the statements on this post, it's pretty apparent Butler should already be considered a first team AA this year along with Stokes and Ekmark!!! Nevermind that she hasn't played one game in a Husky jersey/under a different coaching staff/new system, she is "going to start & play well next year" so there's no reason wait todeclare her an AA!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Because of the statements on this post, it's pretty apparent Butler should already be considered a first team AA this year along with Stokes and Ekmark!!! Nevermind that she hasn't played one game in a Husky jersey/under a different coaching staff/new system, she is "going to start & play well next year" so there's no reason wait todeclare her an AA!
Really? :rolleyes: :confused: Because of some statements in this post, I'm going to just add that Butler will average 40 PPG, 30 RPB, 15 blocks per game and all this in only 25 minutes per game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with David. Just as Kia played against the world's best, Natalie has already demonstrated that she can compete at a level beyond high school. As David noted, she is very tall and works hard. She also had decent numbers against a good DePaul team and other decent opposition. She is not the passer or shooter that Stef was and may not be the rebounder or shot blocker that Kiah is, but I think she'll be something of a cross between them. She was the #5 rebounder in the nation last year. And the BE FOW 10x, same as Maya.

As for that smart-ass invader Tommy, let's see how she does. By her senior year, she could earn some major accolades.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Natter on, Nabobs of Negativism, if natter you must. Save your posts and post them again this time next year. They will provide good laughs. (And good night, Mr. Saffire, wherever you are.)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

Did I say All American? Let me check.... nope. Did I mention Ekmark or Stokes? Nope. Do you know what IMO means? In my opinion, Butler will start & play well. Why do you take that all the way to "she should already be considered a first team AA"??? If you want to comment on something I wrote, make sure I wrote it. :rolleyes:

Don't be embarrassed, keep on posting. And if you ever come up w/ something bordering on analysis, I'll be sure to give you that big 2nd "like"..;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think the SC in Tommy's name might be indicative. Whoddaya think? I don't wish to be unpleasant or insult Tommy in any way, but I think he just might be a t***l.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Natalie will be one of UConn's all-time great centers, maybe the greatest. Scoff if you want, but look at what she did without much help. Stef was incredible her last two years, no question. However, when you play with Breanna, Bria, KML and Moriah, it does make the game just a bit easier. Wait till you see what Natalie does playing with Breanna, Morgan, Moriah, Kia, Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, De'Janae, Saniya, and Courtney. Next year's starters will most likely be: Breanna, Morgan, Moriah, Kia and Natalie with Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, De'Janae, Saniya and Courtney coming off the bench. The second team will be better than most teams' first team. It's scary to think how good UConn will be next year. Go Huskies. Number 10 this year. Number 11 next year. Another UConn record, four in a row.
It is entirely possible that the effect of Natalie playing with more talented teammates will be that her own statistical production will diminish from what it was at Georgetown. I suspect that the reason why her stats were better than Stef's against two common opponents were: (a) she played more minutes than Stef played against the same opponents; and (b) she was the main offense against those opponents, which was not the case for Stef. (I haven't checked stats; I'm just speculating.)

At UConn, especially if her own offensive talent is not truly exceptional (which I will bet is the case), she will have to earn her minutes with rebounds, blocks, assists, defense, and the occasional putback or 10-foot jump shot. Focusing too much on her own scoring (which I can't imagine she will do) would be a quick route to the end of the bench.

We should all be happy if she contributes as much next year as Kiah Stokes is contributing this year. That will make her an extremely valuable teammate.

Reaction Score
Curious to know if anybody has heard (rumors are welcome) or read (revisionist history is welcome) ANYthing about how she is doing in practice this year, other than hitting the weights hard and showing a great. supportive attitude? Would really enjoy anything anyone can provide on that....even third hand or worse.

Reaction Score
Curious to know if anybody has heard (rumors are welcome) or read (revisionist history is welcome) ANYthing about how she is doing in practice this year, other than hitting the weights hard and showing a great. supportive attitude? Would really enjoy anything anyone can provide on that....even third hand or worse.

Since Geno's evaluation (and who would know better?) of that player he considered to have had the best pre-season practices (sc) was proven to be an absolutely lousy predictor of regular season performance, it would seem speculation on #51 in practice would yield little. Time will tell, and I think it'll be a great story.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is entirely possible that the effect of Natalie playing with more talented teammates will be that her own statistical production will diminish from what it was at Georgetown. I suspect that the reason why her stats were better than Stef's against two common opponents were: (a) she played more minutes than Stef played against the same opponents; and (b) she was the main offense against those opponents, which was not the case for Stef. (I haven't checked stats; I'm just speculating.)

At UConn, especially if her own offensive talent is not truly exceptional (which I will bet is the case), she will have to earn her minutes with rebounds, blocks, assists, defense, and the occasional putback or 10-foot jump shot. Focusing too much on her own scoring (which I can't imagine she will do) would be a quick route to the end of the bench.

We should all be happy if she contributes as much next year as Kiah Stokes is contributing this year. That will make her an extremely valuable teammate.
One thing is almost certain. UConn will shoot about 50%, so there could be fewer opportunities for offensive boards than there were when playing with Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Did I say All American? Let me check.... nope. Did I mention Ekmark or Stokes? Nope. Do you know what IMO means? In my opinion, Butler will start & play well. Why do you take that all the way to "she should already be considered a first team AA"??? If you want to comment on something I wrote, make sure I wrote it. :rolleyes:

Don't be embarrassed, keep on posting. And if you ever come up w/ something bordering on analysis, I'll be sure to give you that big 2nd "like"..;)

Tough crowd hah... I've seen plenty of "opinions" like yours where you boast and holler about how incredibly amazing a player is, even with no credible facts to back it up. I have no doubt Natalie is talented but there have been way too many posts that claim incoming players or players who played insignificant minutes the previous year to magically make a leap in AA status/ are better than players from other schools who have proven to be good. Everyone who frequents this board knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm even going to go as far to say that a lot of these posters who ride their high horse when the wins come are the first to jump ship when something goes wrong (e.g. The early loss to stanford) and point the finger at the players they talked up so much.

Really sad to see such a great program have such obnoxious fans (not all, but some). UCONN is coached by a master of his craft, with players who play their butts off and some of you still feel the need to brag info what is already well known. Steward, Lewis, Jefferson and Tuck (big fan of Tuck's story) all have shown what they can do and have proved any accolades that come their way. I say, let them play.

Reaction Score

I don't think there's any question that Butler will be a better rebounder than Stef was because Stef, particularly in the early part of her time in Storrs, was not a very good rebounder for someone who was 6'5". She improved appreciably but even at the end, wasn't a great rebounder. Did she ever average double digit rebounds? This kid did it as a freshman and with a less than talented team. My concerns will be for her defensive quickness and if she manages that and scores inside ten feet, she's going to be okay with me. With the amount of talent she'll be sharing the floor with, I'm thinking she (and UConn) will be fine. The perfect accessory for our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom