Nadav Henefeld | The Boneyard

Nadav Henefeld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That guy was awesome in just one season. Maybe the best player on the best UConn season ever (but let's not debate either of those statements). My question for all of you junkies out there: what could have been if he stayed more than one season? What would have come of Nadav - in college & NBA? How would he had impacted UConn teams into the mid 90's? I've been thinking about this all off season since we did the fantasy draft. But c'mon, you gotta admit, that guy was something special!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That guy was awesome in just one season. Maybe the best player on the best UConn season ever (but let's not debate either of those statements). My question for all of you junkies out there: what could have been if he stayed more than one season? What would have come of Nadav - in college & NBA? How would he had impacted UConn teams into the mid 90's? I've been thinking about this all off season since we did the fantasy draft. But c'mon, you gotta admit, that guy was something special!

You can't just throw out a ridiculous statement and then say "but no arguing with that". Can't do it.

Love Nadav though. Exhibit A why you should never let foreign players go home in the summer. Just lock them in the Gym until September.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite players ever. Had the Larry Bird ability to be thinking two passes ahead of every one else on both offense and defense. At a time when GTown was intimidating everyone with blocked shots by Dikembe and Mourning, Nadav spearheaded our press and I believe he led the country in steals if not outright for a good portion of the season. The press, led by him became our identity and mighty Georgetown became intimidated by it and had a bunch of unforced turnovers in a game at the civic center. The intimidators became the intimidated. Frustrated to the point that mourning turned to plucking Nadav's ear.

I was so sad when he went back to Israel, to play professionally. I thought for sure we were going to make our first final four with him the next year but truthfully he wasn't an NBA player. He was a twenty six year old freshman with basketball and life maturity of a forty year old. Most college kids simply could not think the game like he could.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One of my favorite players ever. Had the Larry Bird ability to be thinking two passes ahead of every one else on both offense and defense. At a time when GTown was intimidating everyone with blocked shots by Dikembe and Mourning, Nadav spearheaded our press and I believe he led the country in steals if not outright for a good portion of the season. The press, led by him became our identity and mighty Georgetown became intimidated by it and had a bunch of unforced turnovers in a game at the civic center. The intimidators became the intimidated. Frustrated to the point that mourning turned to plucking Nadav's ear.

The Gaza Stripper.

Reaction Score
Nadav was a really unique player. We really dont see too many point forwards, I can think of Royce White and the guy from St Joes last year but that is about it. The closest player from UConn that I can think of is Caron in terms of an all around game. I think Nadav could have played in the NBA, he never had the athleticism that one would expect from an NBA player but he had a skill set that almost no one else had.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Nadav was a really unique player. We really dont see too many point forwards, I can think of Royce White and the guy from St Joes last year but that is about it. The closest player from UConn that I can think of is Caron in terms of an all around game. I think Nadav could have played in the NBA, he never had the athleticism that one would expect from an NBA player but he had a skill set that almost no one else had.

Think of how disruptive Napier and Boatshow were this year. They combined for 134 steals.

Awesome...

Henefeld had 138 in his one season. More than Bazz and Boat together.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yeah that is pretty unreal.

He was a freak - super quick hands and a amazing ability to get in passing lanes.

He was also really good at turning his steals into assists or "hockey" assists.

Putting that team together was pure Calhoun genius. I doubt any other coach could have won as much with that group.

Chris Smith was the only real offensive star. Burrel was still more incredible athlete than great BB player. Henefeld only averaged 12 points.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Why did he leave? Did he ever come back to visit? Does he have a Nadav jr.?
Seems like he missed out on millions.

Reaction Score

I was so sad when he went back to Israel, to play professionally. I thought for sure we were going to make our first final four with him the next year but truthfully he wasn't an NBA player. He was a twenty six year old freshman with basketball and life maturity of a forty year old. Most college kids simply could not think the game like he could.
not sure where you got your info from, but Nadav was 21 while at UConn

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Think of how disruptive Napier and Boatshow were this year. They combined for 134 steals.
Awesome...
Henefeld had 138 in his one season. More than Bazz and Boat together.

That was some sort of record, but I don't remember exactly what. I still love the fact they called him "The Gaza Stripper".

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why did he leave? Did he ever come back to visit? Does he have a Nadav jr.?
Seems like he missed out on millions.

He felt he wanted the challenge of playing professionally; guy was a full on man at uconn. And it was for the best non US team in the world at the time - Macabbi Tel Aviv. Don't worry, he did quite well financially.

Reaction Score
Think about this -- Nadav did not start for the first 10 games of the year. His minutes picked starting about 5 games in.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
He felt he wanted the challenge of playing professionally; guy was a full on man at uconn. And it was for the best non US team in the world at the time - Macabbi Tel Aviv. Don't worry, he did quite well financially.

Ok. Thanks. So he's really Calhoun's first kid to leave early and our first " one and Done". He's a beloved player. It just seems like he should make an appearance at a game or maybe when the practice center is celebrated. Fans would love it.

Reaction Score
Horatio said:
Ok. Thanks. So he's really Calhoun's first kid to leave early and our first " one and Done". He's a beloved player. It just seems like he should make an appearance at a game or maybe when the practice center is celebrated. Fans would love it.

He came back to the first alumni reunion game at Mohegan Sub in 2002. Not sure about subsequent ones. His ovation was right up there with Ray, Rip and Caron (who had just left).

Reaction Score
Nadav may have been more effective later in the season when he wasn't making a steal as many teams went away from their most effective offense sets to avoid being robbed.

Reaction Score
The pressure on him to stay home after such an amazing year at UConn was immense they said. He cried in every interview he had thereafter discussing the decision he was forced to make - he loved being a Husky, the fans the community and the campus. It's too bad he couldn't have stayed another year or 2 and see what he could've done with the teams. The thing is I am not so sure he was an NBA player, a great college player yes, for sure. His maturity and knowledge of the game may never be captured again in a Husky uniform. He was ahead of the coaches I'm guessing in some ways, the reason we were able to press was Nadav. I mean people keep asking the same question "why don't we go back to the press of 89-90"? Pretty simple there's no Nadav suiting up. His presence in the middle, ability to think ahead, anticipate crappy passes and just plain ol' disrupt the other team was just super human at times. Scotty being there and learning from him made for quite a show after the hounding by Tate and Smitty up top……..anyway he also was one of the best passers in our history, as mentioned above saw passes 2 moves ahead. Never forget his steal and immediate sideways spinning bounce pass to Burrell for a dunk in one game, amazing in so many ways and right on target. He wasn't a particularly good shooter but he was clutch as hell. Great ball fake and get to the basket to either shoot or throw a pass to a cutter…….just a very good basketball player all around and seemingly super teammate. For those who didn;t get to see that one season I feel sorry for you. It was special and we will be fortunate to ever see anyone so rounded to put on that uniform again quite honestly. There will be better shooters, athletes but not the whole package which was so fun to watch. One year but always a favorite Husky!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
not sure where you got your info from, but Nadav was 21 while at UConn

Really? Thought he was much older. I know he served in the Israeli military as required.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Really? Thought he was much older. I know he served in the Israeli military as required.

But that's generally a two year stint from age of 18.

Reaction Score
Nadav spearheaded their press. It was a thing of beauty to watch & it has never been duplicated since he departed…

Reaction Score
Nadav did try to make the NBA at least once and played some summer league ball for the Celtics a few years after leaving UConn for Israel. He was heavier and a bit slower than at UConn and didn't impress.

That said I think if Nadav had been able to swing a 2nd or 3rd year at UConn he would have had a much better NBA chance. And I agree with those above that think Nadav was a final four waiting to happen had he returned to UConn. He didn't leave for 'selfish' or money reasons and it really seemed like he wanted to return and simply couldn't.

In terms of something where nothing was expected from UConn players, Henefeld and Emeka are 1-2. I remember before Nadav played, a buddy told me he some weird tall foreign looking dude shooting 17-19' baseline jumpers in the field house and the guy never missed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Nadav was under contract to his team in Israel and they were not letting him out of it.

Murray Williams began the years starting for UCONN. I think he is the most forgotten player on that team. Burrell didn't start either originally.

Dove retired at the peak of his success kind of tired of bball. Came back & quit again feeling basketball was kind of frivolous. Kind of half basketball player half shaman.

I think we were headed to a Final For with him in 91. I think Tate was the only graduate of note. Smith, Sellers, Gwynn, Scotty, Murray & Cyrulik were all a year better. I think Dove would have put them over the top

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Henefeld was our oldest freshman ever. The real question that's never been answered is why did the Israeli Pipeline run dry? I suspect it was due to the last couple of Israeli players being disappointments.

Reaction Score
Henefeld was our oldest freshman ever. The real question that's never been answered is why did the Israeli Pipeline run dry? I suspect it was due to the last couple of Israeli players being disappointments.

Eddie Williams? Maybe he was never a freshman here but he was one of our older players ever…….

As far as the Israeli pipeline it seemed the talent may have been dry after Sheffer and some of the others we brought in weren't able to cut it here - Mintz, Katz etc…….I'm happy we got to see 2 great players in our uni's in Nadav and Doron………really enjoyed their time here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom