Mystics vs. Lynx Report | The Boneyard

Mystics vs. Lynx Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Game over. Washington 89 – Minnesota 63. However, this may be the front end of a grand scheme.

BY_Tweet_23.png

Bria had 10. Stef, 6. Kalana had 9. Maya with 7 for MN.

[LINK] to stats

Reactions: HGN

HGN

Reaction Score
Game over. Washington 89 – Minnesota 63. However, this may be the front end of a grand scheme.

Bria had 10. Stef, 6. Kalana had 9. Maya with 7 for MN.

[LINK] to stats
Java , Thanks for the info Link. I don't know whether DishNSwish comment of Lynx tanking for Stewie is right or not. But I do seem to remember a certain superior quality player NOT playing a large number of games and they ended up with BG...Now a certain superior quality player is not playing this year and I had wondered if this was yet again a manuever to get in position to draft BS....What say you?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Also, this game did not feature traditional scoring. It was sort of a fun experiment for the two coaching staffs. No points were awarded for midrange shots -- only lay ups and short range shots in the paint, and 3 pointers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Also, this game did not feature traditional scoring. It was sort of a fun experiment for the two coaching staffs. No points were awarded for midrange shots -- only lay ups and short range shots in the paint, and 3 pointers.
I think that was yesterday's game. Today's game was a regular game. Minny was up 25-15 and lost by 23. More later, after lunch. Hunger calls.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
I think that was yesterday's game. Today's game was a regular game. Minny was up 25-15 and lost by 23. More later, after lunch. Hunger calls.

Oops you're right I had the special scrimmage in mind :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My buddies had work and golf to attend to today, so I ventured to Verizon Center by myself. I texted Striper but couldn't connect. I sat in the 2nd row behind the Lynx bench with my new friend Debbie, who is originally from Cleveland and a big fan of Maya, Geno, and the Huskies. She thought she was Maya's biggest fan--until she met me. :)

Minny started nicely, going up 25-15 and then 25-18 at the quarter. But they were outscored 71-38 over the last 3 quarters. It was a pre-season game, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Mystics started Messeman, Vaughn, Hartley, Lawson, and Cloud (I think Cloud). The Lynx started Dantas, Harris, Moore, Augustus, and Whelan. Brunson was in street clothes and Asjha and Anna Cruz were not there. I think the web shows both rosters at 16 or 17, so about 5 cuts need to be made. Is the roster size back to 12 or still at 11?? Latta and Ruffin-Pratt were among those not playing for Washington. I think Ivory has a spot on the team; I'm not sure about Tierra.

I was chatting with my new friend and had some trouble seeing from such a low vantage point, so my game report is limited. Plus, my powers of observation are limited. But here are a few thoughts, FWIW:

--Maya got fouled a few times in traffic and seemed annoyed at getting no calls. She's so versatile and athletic, though she shot poorly today.

--Lindsay Whalen is a bull, as we know. A true hockey player.

--The camaraderie on the bench was strong, seemingly for both teams. Lots of cheering from Maya and Seimone.

--Coach Reeve was upset multiple times and called TOs. Dantas was the object of her anger once.

--Amber Harris seemed to do little. Considering her size and athleticism, I was disappointed.

--The second unit for Washington looked good and essentially won the game.

--Several players for the Mystics impressed me. Some of it was making shots, but I thought the following looked good:

--Kara L. is such a smart player and a good shooter.

--Tayler Hill, who was out for childbirth last season, looked great and shot the ball well.

--Kalana Greene looked confident and aggressive on offense and smooth on defense. She still has a nice pull up jumper and rebounds with players 3" taller. She was added to the Washington roster in midseason last year and didn't play much. I had thought she was vulnerable in terms of making the roster, but she has had 2 good games. She can definitely still play in this league.

--Natasha Cloud from St. Joes can play. I was wondering about the wisdom of picking her in the first round, but not any more.

--Bria is a smart, tough, and athletic player. She looked pretty good, though 2 outside shots missed badly. Great shooters like KML miss only long or short. A couple of Bria's shots were offline as soon as they left her hand.

--The big girl with the cotton candy hair can play in this league too, though she is vulnerable to getting called for moving screens, as her timing is borderline. She still has a nice touch and passes well. I think she's adjusting to the speed of the game. I'd like to see her strengthen her hands, as a couple of rebounds got knocked away.

--Blake Dietrick got about 15-18 minutes and didn't seem out of her element, though the competition is far better than the Ivy League. She didn't do anything awful or outstanding. Considering she was undrafted and the team needs to cut 5 or so players, I don't think she'll make it, based on what I saw today. Cloud and Greene were much better.

--I think Ally Mallot made a basket. She's smart and skilled, but I wonder if the game is too physical or fast for her at this level, at least for now. The transition is tough for a rookie.

I don't know the official crowd size, but it looked well under 1,000.

I hope to go back during the regular season a few times, including for the Lynx in mid-August. I hoping for June 6 vs. Tina, Swin, Kiah, et al.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is some REALLY great stuff, Ken, and seriously detailed and surprisingly insightful! ;) Seriously though, you sound like a scout or GM. Maybe Washington or Minny should give you a ring!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That is some REALLY great stuff, Ken, and seriously detailed and surprisingly insightful! ;) Seriously though, you sound like a scout or GM. Maybe Washington or Minny should give you a ring!!
Thanks, Mr. Beverly Hills! :) When I sit with Mike, Cat, et al., I listen to them, for they are more astute than I. But I figure that random, impressionistic comments are better than none.

Reaction Score
Java , Thanks for the info Link. I don't know whether DishNSwish comment of Lynx tanking for Stewie is right or not. But I do seem to remember a certain superior quality player NOT playing a large number of games and they ended up with BG...Now a certain superior quality player is not playing this year and I had wondered if this was yet again a manuever to get in position to draft BS....What say you?
Well, I say that when commercial revenue is concerned ...anything is possible ...sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom