Uconn
VCU
Rutgers
Marquette
Cincy
KSU
Nova(does he have an offer there?)
Xavier

he's also scooped two crystal balls in the last hour to uconn.
If we are his "dream school" and don't win against that group of schools it will be very disappointing. Only seen that short highlight video but would make a great addition to the team and really help spread the floor for JA/AG drive and kicks.

Reaction Score
From Corey Evans:
Powell is an elite marksman from deep and has really worked on being able to handle the ball and make others better in the half court. While he can still settle at times for looks from around the arc, the compact guard has no issues finding his own shots within the confines of the offense and must always be accounted for due to his perimeter shot. A bit of a tweener in the backcourt and not super athletic, Powell is an interesting backcourt target as he can really provide value with his toughness and shooting stroke from downtown.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=2983#sthash.aIfpthvX.dpuf

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the kid can dunk, but he can shoot. There is definitely room off the bench for that skill, especially with playmakers like JA and AG getting you the rock. Makes sense to go after this kid; he's not a dynamic athlete, but his quickness/defense can improve. I just hope this isn't a Scotty Harrelson situation - although this kid is much more highly ranked.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Maybe he'll be the next Jimmer Fredette. Maybe he'll be the next Brian Fair.

I'd take either, happily.

Reaction Score
cutting list in 45 minutes via twitter. Heres my guess

Uconn
VCU
Pitt
Marquette
Cincy
KSU
Nova(does he have an offer there? edit nope.)
Xavier

he's also scooped two crystal balls recently to uconn. one from meyer the other drew messmer.
Welp... ya got two of em ...

Reaction Score
Probably not great, since he's small and a marginal athlete for this level.

I don't think we can assume based on someone saying he's a marginal athlete. You can be a lot smarter than a great athlete and perform defensively with hard work. And being small certainly isn't proof either. I mean doesn't Bazz pretty much fit the same categories?

Reaction Score
Not to mention we have had some great athletes in the past with mediocre basketball skills. This kid has a reputation for being a marksman a skill that served many other undersized guards pretty well. Duke''s guards this year weren't dunking over people but shooting over them. Give me a shooter with no conscious and Ollie will find a role for that kid in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I don't think we can assume based on someone saying he's a marginal athlete. You can be a lot smarter than a great athlete and perform defensively with hard work. And being small certainly isn't proof either. I mean doesn't Bazz pretty much fit the same categories?
Are we still having pissing contests on the topic of size, athleticism, etc.? Egad!!! College PGs or PG/Combos don't need to be great athletes. They do need to have quick feet (i.e. first couple steps) to stay in front of their man in the half-court and quick hands help as well. Being strong helps too, but that sometimes takes time for kids coming right out of high school. Bazz is a great example. He is not fast end to end nor can get over the rim, or at least not very often, but he was good at keeping his man in front of him at the college level. Agree? Disagree? Note this is not directed to you mau but to all who keep on kicking this poor dog to death.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has said this (or I've skimmed too fast), but he reminds me a lot of Sterling Gibbs in terms to what he brings to the table.

Seems like he's extremely fond of UConn. Sign him up, we could use a sniper for 2016 with Bailey mission bound.

Reaction Score
I really like the idea of landing a sharpshooter like this kid, plus I don't think he scares off a higher profile 2 guard like Diallo.

Reaction Score
2015 Scouting Reports / Tweets
April
#Insiders100 ‏@ThePrepInsiders Apr 3
Breakout alert; NJ Playaz G Myles Powell looks a lot more explosive so far, he was already a knockdown shooter. Could get a lot of attention

Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein Apr 11
Not sure Myles Powell has missed a 3 today. Had 27 this morning and hot again now for @JSnjPlayaz

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello Apr 11
Myles Powell had 27 points and six 3-pointers this morning for NJ Playaz - has hit another few 3s this afternoon. Fantastic outside shooter.

CourtCred ‏@courtcred Apr 11
PSA Cardinals defeat the NJ Playaz, 69-66. Villanova-bound Omari Spellman scores 20 for Cards. Myles Powell finishes with game-high 24 #EYBL

Pete Spiewak ‏@pspie Apr 12
Myles Powell (@Myles_MBP_23) with a huge weekend. Averaged 22 PTS and shot 38% from 3PT at #EYBL. #ShowAndProve http://post original url/ylgDtYCgjn

NextUpRecruits.com ‏@NextUpRecruits Apr 18
2016 6'2 G Myles Powell leads the EYBL in total 3 pointers made with 17. Watch Myles with the @JSnjPlayaz next weekend in Lexington, KY.

RHoops247 ‏@RHoopsRecruits Apr 18
Trenton Catholic (N.J.) guard Myles Powell of the @JSnjPlayaz was named first-team all-EYBL after his breakout at Boo Williams in Hampton.

NextUpRecruits.com ‏@NextUpRecruits Apr 19
Playaz Basketball Club went 3-1 in EYBL Hampton & led in scoring by 2016 6'2 G Myles Powell with 22 ppg on 50% FG. #Efficient @Myles_MBP_23

CourtCred ‏@courtcred Apr 26
This kid Myles Powell is getting it done right now for the Playaz. Good overall game. Shooting it well and attacking the rim. @NikeEYB

Anthony Collins ‏@NextUpAntC Apr 27
Myles Powell from the NJ Playaz playing style + body reminds me of Isiah Briscoe. I'm sure someone has said that before.

Group Stats ‏@GroupStats Apr 28
Myles Powell @Myles_MBP_23 putting up insane numbers thru first two EYBL sessions. Attempted most 3s in EYBL (86) still shooting 43% from 3

Group Stats ‏@GroupStats Apr 28
Myles Powell (@Myles_MBP_23) stat line
ORtg 118.5
Usg Rt 30.8
%Shots 33.8
EFG% 58.4%
TS% 60.7%
FT Rate 22.9
Numbers are off the charts good

May
Dain Ervin ‏@BIReports May 30Carson, CA
2016 Myles Powell is on target right now...Hasn't missed a shot...and he's taken plenty... #PangosAACamp

Dinos Trigonis ‏@trigonis30 May 31
@PangosAACamp Sat nitecap top efforts: Curtis Hollis 19 pts (7/11 FG); Myles Powell 19 pts (6/11 FG); Taurean Thompson 18 (9/11 FG)/5 rebs

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello May 31
Other guys that impressed today/tonight: Mitchell Ballock, Lamar Peters, Myles Powell, Vance Jackson, Xavier Tillman. #PangosAACamp

Geoff ‏@GeoffTPI May 31
Myles Powell '16 played well. He earned himself a spot in the top 30 game. @ThePrepInsiders @JSnjplayaz

June
Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops Jun 18
Myles Powell has a burner for a jump shot. Very confident shooter who scores points in bunches when feeling it. #nbpatop100

KipTJam ‏@KipTJam Jun 18
Best morning session performances-Temple Gibbs,Deandre Ayton,Myles Powell,Omari Spellman,Deshawn Corprew and Bam Adebayo

KipTJam ‏@KipTJam Jun 18
Myles Powell doesn't necessarily pass the look test but is a scorer who can do so at all 3 levels. Has some creativity in his game

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 Jun 18
Not alot of guys work as hard to get an open look at the bucket than Myles Powell. Draino with his feet set and any room given #NBPATop100

Dinos Trigonis ‏@trigonis30 Jun 19
#NBPATop100 stat stuffers thurs 6/18 Omari Spellman 20 pts Thon Maker 19 pts; Myles Powell 18 pts; Frank Jackson 17 pts; M Bamba 17pts/7 reb

Coach John Lucas ‏@CoachJohnLucas1 Jun 19
Myles Powell has been leading the Camp in scoring. Hits another 3! #NBPATop100

Dinos Trigonis ‏@trigonis30 Jun 20
#nbpaTop100 Top 3FG% (to date): Pritchard 50%; Ty Jerome 50%; Jaylen Hands 47%; Myles Powell 47%; Xavier Simpson 46%; Crump 45%; KGuy 44%

Courtside Films ‏@CourtsideFilms Jun 20
Myles Powell (@Myles_MBP_23) singlehandedly brought his team back. Hes been raining triples all week at the #Top100Camp. Extremely talented.

Brandon Clay ‏@BrandonClayPSB Jun 22
#NBPATop100 Notable Performers: Tejon Lucas Cameron McGriff Mike Okauru Myles Powell Jethro Tshishumpa Mark Vital

July
Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 Jul 10
Ability to get squared up at the blink of an eye and hit from deep is unique. Myles Powell does it with the best of them #PeachJam

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout Jul 10
If I didn't know better I'd think Myles Davis is playing his 14th year of AAU under the alias Myles Powell. Powell is on fire for NJ Playaz

Mike Rempter ‏@The_MikeRempter Jul 11
Myles Powell had himself a Peach Jam. 19.8 points per game for the Playaz. College coaches have to start looking at him...

PrepScouting (NCAA) ‏@highmajorscoop Jul 12
Five 2016 Stock-Risers from @NikeEYB Peach Jam: G-Andrew Jones CG-Jordan Barnes SG-Myles Powell SF-Elijah Pemberton PF-Kassoum Yakwe

Scott Burgess ‏@scottybscout Jul 17
Myles Powell is getting buckets! Big body guard that is drilling pull up threes. Great range on shot

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 Jul 17
Myles Powell can play. Lethal shooter from deep off dribble as well.

Scott Burgess ‏@scottybscout Jul 17
USA East defeats Pan Africa 105-82. Myles Powell 30 pts. Lonnie Walker 17 pts. DJ Harvey 12 pts. Makhtar Gueye 11 pts

Scott Burgess ‏@scottybscout Jul 18
USA South defeats USA East 118-101. Jeremiah Tilmon 7 pts 14 reb. Myles Powell 24. Ty Jerome 18. DJ Harvey 17. Nick Richards 10 pts 8 reb

Dick Weiss ‏@HoopsWeiss Jul 18
us players we hadn't seen who impressed at nike global challenge: Trae Young, Jarron Cumberland, Tony Bradley Myles Powell

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 Jul 18
People throw around the term "bucket getter." When it comes to Myles Powell, it is an appropriate moniker.

Myles Powell has been phenomenal scoring this weel. Three point shot is on point. Havent seen him much before but kid is a SCORER!

USA Midwest defeats USA East 135-119. Myles Powell 30. VJ King 21 pts 9 reb. Matt Coleman 18. DJ Harvey 15. Tyler Cook 14 & 7. Gary Trent 19

Scott/Ballislife ‏@BallisLifeCHI Jul 18
Myles Powell (30pts) + Louisville commit VJ King (21pts 9reb) led USA East squad all week @NikeGlobal in Chicago.

Ryan Fish ‏@RyanMFish Jul 18
U.S. All Tournament Team: Miles Bridges, Myles Powell, Trae Young, Jarred Vanderbilt, Alterique Gilbert

Mike Schmitz ‏@Mike_Schmitz Jul 20
Top 10 PER from Nike GC: Tony Bradley, Myles Powell, Cumberland, Monk, Bridges, Nick Ward, Andrew Garcia, Alt. Gilbert, PJ Wash., M. Howard

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 Jul 24
Good little half by Myles Powell. Strong and stocky 2 guard showing he can distribute some off the deck. Jumper always a constant #FAB48

From City of Basketball Love, a scouting report prior to July: http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/myles-powell

Strengths: A tremendous outside shooter who needs only a sliver of daylight to get his shot off, Powell is tough to slow down once he gets going. Capable of playing with or without the ball in his hands, Powell finds a way to get into the scoresheet, whether it’s attacking in transition or finding space on the perimeter and waiting for a feed from a teammate. Becoming a more all-around scorer who can create off the bounce and finish tough buckets around the rim. Strong-bodied guard who isn’t easily muscled off the ball.

Weaknesses: Though he’s worked on his body, still needs to continue to improve his conditioning to be the best player he can be, especially on the defensive end. Needs to work on being more of a point guard, because he’ll be small for an off-guard at the next level.

Overall: He doesn’t have optimal size for his position, but Powell’s productivity on both the high school and AAU circuits is impossible to deny. In the right multi-guard system where he can find open spots in opposing defenses, Powell could be an impact player right away at the mid-to-high-major level with his shooting ability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger