CG Myles Powell (Seton Hall Commit) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

CG Myles Powell (Seton Hall Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why? Gilbert and Adams aren't playing 40 minutes a game.
I would hope Cassell is the first guard off the bench by 2016, but maybe I'm being optimistic.

Reaction Score
If we get Powell, this would be one crowded backcourt BUT you can NEVER have too many ball handlers !! Bring him to Storrs.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Watched him play at the Peach Jam. Cincinnati was heavily involved until we got a commit from Jarron Cumberland. He is an ELITE shooter. Probably the best in the 2016 class, imo. His issue will be if he can develop into a point guard because right now he is an undersized at 6'0'' two guard.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Watched him play at the Peach Jam. Cincinnati was heavily involved until we got a commit from Jarron Cumberland. He is an ELITE shooter. Probably the best in the 2016 class, imo. His issue will be if he can develop into a point guard because right now he is an undersized at 6'0'' two guard.

How did he look in terms of quickness?

Reaction Score

Hey, for our 2014 NC squad Ryan Boatright was an undersized 5'10" two guard. We have had plenty of luck with undersized guards.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can't believe no one except for one other guy thought of this before now.

I think someone made that comparison in another thread.

Joking aside even Fair was 6'3" and an above average athlete.

I'm all for the kid. Anyone who can suit up and shoot the 3 has to be identified by the defense. If nothing else his mere presence on the floor prevents a wing from collapsing in to the lane to give help on a dribble drive.

kobe

Reaction Score
How did he look in terms of quickness?
He's not very quick but is a smart offensive player. He surprised me a few times on how found openings for mid range jumpers.

kobe

Reaction Score
Hey, for our 2014 NC squad Ryan Boatright was an undersized 5'10" two guard. We have had plenty of luck with undersized guards.
Boatright is incredible quick and a really good athlete. Powell doesn't have the same ability. You guys always seem to have good point guards so it isn't as a big of concern for UConn as it would be if he ended up elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Spike albrecht had a pretty good tournament or two and is a long range bomber who stood at only 5''11". You can be undersized with different skill set from our 2014 backcourt and still have a significant impact. They is more than 1 way to skin a cat

Reaction Score
I would bet the house Powell is at least 6'2 with a plus wingspan . Much different than being 5'11. Gilbert is 5'11. I'm saying this having seen a photo of VJ king and him standing side by side

Reaction Score
I would bet the house Powell is at least 6'2 with a plus wingspan . Much different than being 5'11. Gilbert is 5'11. I'm saying this having seen a photo of VJ king and him standing side by side

Reaction Score
247 has him at #81 in their composite listing and at 6'1 and 185lbs. He has a special skill as a high percentage 3 pt shooter. He has scored effectively against good competition. He is athletic enough to be above the rim. He provides additional team depth at point guard even if that isn't his primary duty. I fail to see why any posters wouldn't jump to have him. We have the point guard position well covered with Adams and Gilbert yet everybody wants to add Tremont Waters who is even smaller, but can shoot the 3 great with only average athleticism, why not Powell. The board has lamented a lack of a push for Bruce Brown who is a bit bigger and plays with a great motor but would only give us depth with no high percentage deep shooting at all, I think Powell looks like a good alternative there as well. Diallo still fits easy at the 2 or 3, and there is still room for another of the 2017 guards. 4-5 guards where at least 1 can play the three position, or where we can match 3 guard sets from other teams is a tremendous luxury, not a problem. Ollie will handle team chemistry and minutes will flow by ability and game strategy.

Reaction Score
Watched a couple of mixed videos. Kid can certainly shoot, sees the court well, keeps his head up, finishes well even if below the rim, of course have no idea if he can, wants or knows how to play defense (videos are almost silent on this minor detail), think he would benefit from shedding some weight, type of offensive player other team cannot afford to lose track of, UConn would benefit from 3-4 years of really dependable offensive threat he could provide every game, sign him up in a New York minute.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
From City of Basketball Love, a scouting report prior to July: http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/myles-powell

Strengths: A tremendous outside shooter who needs only a sliver of daylight to get his shot off, Powell is tough to slow down once he gets going. Capable of playing with or without the ball in his hands, Powell finds a way to get into the scoresheet, whether it’s attacking in transition or finding space on the perimeter and waiting for a feed from a teammate. Becoming a more all-around scorer who can create off the bounce and finish tough buckets around the rim. Strong-bodied guard who isn’t easily muscled off the ball.

Weaknesses: Though he’s worked on his body, still needs to continue to improve his conditioning to be the best player he can be, especially on the defensive end. Needs to work on being more of a point guard, because he’ll be small for an off-guard at the next level.

Overall: He doesn’t have optimal size for his position, but Powell’s productivity on both the high school and AAU circuits is impossible to deny. In the right multi-guard system where he can find open spots in opposing defenses, Powell could be an impact player right away at the mid-to-high-major level with his shooting ability.
"Right multi-guard system" = UConn. "Needs to improve conditioning" UConn will get any willing player into "UConn shape"!!! Sign him up.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Spent this morning watching 80s highlights. Had really forgotten just how good -- and how important -- John Gwynn was. He was the same size as the Powell's shortest reported height. I want him on my team.

Reaction Score
CL7qHsFWwAAW9Nk.jpg

Won the three point contest at the #bigstrickclassic

Jeremy Schneider ‏@J_Schneider 2h2 hours ago
Myles Powell has been excellent in the national game, showing a good handle and athleticism to get to the rim #NJhoops #BigStrickClassic

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hearing a visit in Sept most likely
Makes a lot of sense. Have all the guys back at school and the campus Looks real nice in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom