My Preseason Top Ten | The Boneyard

My Preseason Top Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#1 UConn: Three All-Americans, all of whom are upperclassmen and one of whom is emerging as one of the best to ever play the game. UConn is the only team without major question marks. We're looking for Kiah to improve her offense (especially having an automatic mid-range jumper would do wonders for making the offense look prettier), but we have enough offensive talent that we'll be fine if she maintains what she did this year. Of the six guards not named Moriah (Chong, Banks, Ekmark, Williams, Edwards, and Nurse), it would be nice to have two of them to play really well.

#2 Notre Dame: This is maybe a little bit of a controversial pick, as they don't look stellar on paper. They lose McBride and Achonwa, but maintain Loyd, who could steal some votes from Stewie for NPOY. But, everyone counted them out last year too, and Muffet is the 2nd best coach who runs the 2nd best offense in the country, so they get the benefit of the doubt in my book. They also return Reimer (who is looking to improve from a freshman season that was less than ND fans had hoped for), Wright, Mabrey, and Cable, and bring in a very talented freshman in Brianna Turner.

#3 South Carolina: Again a little controversial; you could definitely make an argument for North Carolina in this spot. However, South Carolina is a little older, a little more mature, and Dawn Staley can coach circles around Sylvia Hatchell. Like UNC, they're loaded, returning their top 9 scorers, including Mitchell, Coates, Ibiam, and Welch. And, oh yeah, they're bringing in A'ja Wilson, Jatarie White, and Bianca Cuevas (who may be a coaching challenge for Staley in terms of decision making).

#4 North Carolina: You can't say enough about the talent that North Carolina has. They return everyone from a squad that went to the elite eight, including a big four in DeShields, Mavunga, Gray, and McDaniel (how much do we wish that we'd gotten her). They've also demonstrated the ability to absolutely implode; they're going to have to mature a lot from last year if they hope to win a title.

#5 Tennessee: Yet another team that looks great on paper, but has failed to convert in recent years. They lose Simmons, which makes the team better (yeah, I said it), and keep Harrison, Graves, Massengale, and Burdick. They bring in a solid recruiting class, but their real keys are Carter, who has shown flashes, and Russell. If one or both of them have a breakout season next year, this team becomes very, very talented.

#6 Texas A&M: There's a pretty talent big drop off at this point. Still we all saw how frustrating they can be to play against, with solid defense and a very well-developed mid-range game. Gilbert is their only major loss, and Walker, Williams, and Jones are a lot to handle. They don't bring in any immediate game changes, but Gary Blair is one of the best in the business. Interestingly for a team ranked this high, they have major weaknesses in both their post play sans Gilbert and their three point shooting.

#7 Duke: They're looking to get over that final four hump, but it's going to be an uphill clime. They lose Gray, Peters, and Liston, which really allows other teams to pack it in the paint. They return an at times overrated Elizabeth Williams, Johnson, and Chidom (who's shown her share of long term promise) and add Sierra Calhoun, but their real key is the health of Alexis Jones. In the same way that Natalie Achonwa is Stefanie Dolson lite, Alexis Jones is Jewell Loyd lite. If healthy, she has the talent to dominate the offense.

#8 Rutgers: I had felt throughout last year that Rutgers had a deceptively good team that was being masked by an atrocious loss to UMass early on and the weakness of the American conference. They proved me right by winning the WNIT finals and they return everyone this year, including Copper, Scaife (who was unstoppable at times, she'll likely be an AA by the time they're done), and Laney. If Hollivay improves to give them a more intimidating post presence, watch out.

#9 Kentucky: Will this be the year that Kentucky gets into the final four? The answer is in how well Jennifer O'Neil is willing to carry them this year. We all know she has the talent, but she's hot and cold; she looked great against Baylor the first time around, but terrible when it counted. They lose Stallworth and Walker, but also keep Bria Goss and Linnae Harper, who might be poised for a little bit of a breakout year.

#10 Stanford: I had a hard time filling this last spot, but I decided to go with the perennial top team. The Ogwumikes have kept Stanford dominant for a long time but, like all good things, that cup eventually runneth dry. They do return Orrange, Thompson, and the Samuelsons, and McCall and they're coached by Tara, so I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
Why is it considered a fact that Sylvia Hatchell is a poor coach and Dawn Staley is a good one?

Did anyone see the final minutes of USC-UNC this year besides me? It was an exercise in coaching ineptitude and not by UNC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is it considered a fact that Sylvia Hatchell is a poor coach and Dawn Staley is a good one?

Did anyone see the final minutes of USC-UNC this year besides me? It was an exercise in coaching ineptitude and not by UNC.
Staley built Temple into a perennial NCAA team and has taken south Carolina from near the bottom of the sec to a #1 seed. Hatchell has been stagnant for years and, while her teams are generally good when she has good players, they also tend to be undisciplined, turnover prone, bad defensively, and inconsistent.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I agree Rutgers could finish next season in the top ten, however, I myself want them to start low in the Top 25 or even unranked. We seem to play better as the underdog.

Also Rachel finished the season with 127 blocks, that's pretty intimidating already. But I also agree that she needs to improve her offensive game. However that goes along with us having guards that can hit some threes, so teams can't just double down on her just they did all season long.

So all our guards, plus Laney, (I'd love for Copper to develop a three point shot) to work over the summer on shooting the three.

Also I expect for Tyler Scaife to win Big Ten Player of the year next year. :p

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Staley built Temple into a perennial NCAA team and has taken south Carolina from near the bottom of the sec to a #1 seed. Hatchell has been stagnant for years and, while her teams are generally good when she has good players, they also tend to be undisciplined, turnover prone, bad defensively, and inconsistent.
That was not that big a challenge in the A10.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
My top ten.
UConn
Notre Dame
Tennessee
South Carolina
North Carolina
Texas A&M
Louisville
Baylor
Kentucky
Duke

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Although I agree with most peoples' top 10 (its fun to discuss), I thought I would take a different look.

Every year there seems to be that surprise team. Someone that no one was looking for and there they are!

So I thought I would give a few teams (IMO) to keep an eye on in the 2014-2015, dark horses if you will.

Maryland--Yes, they lose Thomas/Rutan/Vaughn but return Lexie Brown, Shatori Walker Kimbrough (who I thought was great), a healthy Lauren Mincy, and a couple of post players-Malina Howard and Brianna Jones. Out of the ACC and into the Big10, the Turtles could be a team to watch.

UCLA--see UNC this season--UCLA has a spectacular freshman class coming in next season. I am telling you that Jordin Canada was absolutely outstanding in the McDonalds AA Game. I think Cori Close can coach. The Bruins were devastated with injuries this past season. If they can get the freshman to mold with Nira Fields, Kacy Swain and team, the Bruins could be a team to watch.

USC--basically just lose Harberts. and a pretty good recruiting class coming in for 14-15. Dont know a lot about their recruits but seeing USC play in the PAC12 tourney, Cooper made some really good coaching adjustments in the Stanford game that got them a victory. Cooper did that with Michael Coopers players, what can she do with her own?

( want to point something out here, the PAC12 could very well be an interesting race next season. Its hard to not consider Stanford in the hunt but with what UCLA, USC, and California have coming back in addition to good recruiting classes, the PAC12 should be a battle. Dont forget, Oregon gets Kelly Graves (who can coach) and returns Crishae Rowe and Jilliene Alleyene.

There are probably some other dark horses, but this is all I can think of by memory at the moment!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Louisville @ 7 ???
Yes I still think they will be one of the better teams. I know they lost Shoni. I think they might just be better without her.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm also not sold on Rutgers or Baylor. That SI had in the top ten.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Sort of amazing that the two best teams in the Big 10 next year might be the newcomers, including one that didn't even make the NCAA Tourney 64 this year. It would be nice to see Rutgers kick some butt in that conference next year.
If you feel that coaching is just as important as talent then you can look for Stanford, Notre Dame, Baylor and Louisville to be near the top by the end of next season despite all that they've lost.
I'm not sure how big an impact the four and five star incoming freshmen will have early on. Even Stewart didn't really shine until the end of her first season.
UConn's easy conference schedule will allow for a lot of freshmen minutes if Geno chooses to go that way. SC, Tenn, ND, NC , Duke, Stanford and Louisville will be in dogfights in their conference and probably won't have that luxury too often. A&M was a solid competitor in the SEC and was a tough out in the Tourney. They might surprise us.
I believe UConn will miss its departing seniors a lot more than most think. But when you look at how great the gap was this year between UConn and the other contenders was this year, it will be hard for UConn fans not to start thinking about April in Tampa. Can NC or SC or TN mount a serious challenge? I am doubtful. Sure, NC made a tourney run -- but they really should have lost in round one to Tenn-Martin. SC couldn't win their conference tourney or beat Tennessee. I also disagree with the "addition by subtraction" theory on Simmons. She was a big part of their offense which has maintained the badly outdated fire-it-up-and-rebound scheme. They've got a few good freshmen coming in but... they are freshmen. If Massengale doesn't come back they could be in trouble.
But, like Charlie Creme always says, "somebody has to fill out slots 2 through 9."

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
As an RU fan, I'm not at all sold on RU as top 10 either, at least at the beginning of the season. Top 25 yes, but not top 10. However, I do agree that Scaife has the potential to make herself into an all american, even as early as next year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor hinges on the return of Prince. Johnson is a solid PG, Davis will get even better and Prince, Small and Wright will be strong performers. Higgins has so much untapped potential but unless she comes back in shape she will ride the pine behind Agbuke and Cave. Mulkey is a great coach and will likely be top 10 for years to come.

Top 40 recruit Cohen sounds to be a nice addition in the post. I am hopeful that she will be a Davis-type performer.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I had Texas in my top 5. Atkins is going to explode onto the scene. IMO, she is a better player than Tuner. She had double the points of Turner when she fouled out in the state championship game. After Atkins left the game Turner scored most of her points.

Reaction Score
Everyone overlooking Texas.
They were good enough to get a 5 seed and will be MUCH better next year.
You know what, you're probably right, and I will admit that I'm a little biased by the fact that they haven't been a threat for so long. They do return most of their core players and bring in a very strong recruiting class. I'd probably put them in a similar tier as Stanford, Kentucky, and Rutgers.

I most certainly would not, however, put them in my top 5. Conn, ND, South Carolina, UNC, and Tennessee all have dynamic, potentially dominant offensive players. Who does Texas have that you could put in the same category as Loyd, Mitchell, DeShields, or Gray? Enemkpali? Stafford? I haven't had the opportunity to see Ariel Atkins play other than in the McDonalds AA game but if she's your answer well, as Geno has said, teams that rely too heavily on freshman are usually a year away from being really good. Tennessee is the closest other team in terms of trying to get it done by committee, but they have a lot more going for them IMO than Texas does.

As for the notion that Louisville is a top ten team, I would think that the fact that they lose 4 of their top 5 scorers puts that to bed. Hammond and Smith are pretty good, but they're not that good.

Reaction Score
As for Rutgers being a top ten team, what ten teams do you put ahead of them? I get that they don't feel like a top ten team, but after my top 6, what team really does?

I've looked at a lot of the other possibilities, but I can't find 10 teams that I think are more deserving. Copper, Scaife, Laney, and Hollivay are really good.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - I will be very curious to see Baylor this coming year. Sims was so much of what they did because she took so much defensive attention that the other players had a much easier time of it. I think it could well be a Uconn 2005 scenario where a very good team of complementary players coming off a 3rd NC really struggled to perform sans DT. Davis for example will have fewer open looks because her defender will not have cheated over to try and provide support to Sims defender.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ndmb - re Texas comments vs. TN - who do you see as their dynamic/dominant offensive player? To me that has been their problem since Parker left - a dynamic scorer, because their offensive system is not dynamic by itself. (Harrison?)
As for KY - anyone else feel they have reached their ceiling? They play a chaos kind of game and their set offense has never impressed me. Hard to go beyond the second weekend of the NCAAs relying on steals and transition without having a true superstar.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It was for Temple: they had losing seasons for 10 consecutive seasons before Staley took over in 2000-01. For Staley it was the first time ever in any coaching capacity, and until 2007 she juggled coaching duties with playing in the WNBA. But she took Temple to postseason tournaments in 7 of her 8 seasons there, 6 of those were in the NCAAT. She's the program's all-time winning-est head coach. Cardoza took over a much more stable program than at any other time prior to Staley, because of Staley.....
I am impressed with Staley's team building and she has done it twice so it is not a fluke. On actual game coaching and team play, I only watched two games and was surprisingly disappointed last year - they both happened to be against UNC and that might have something to do with the way the team played (some teams just are bad match-ups of style.) And I say surprisingly, because I didn't like the offensive structure, and was less than impressed with the defense and having heard the praise and seen the record, I was expecting more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom