My annual apology to TonyC | The Boneyard

My annual apology to TonyC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I smiled indulgently to myself when TonyC made post after post saying this year's team is superior to last year's team. Heck, even Geno said no when asked if we could be better after losing CD and KF and adding SC. I was wondering how we could ever replace Kelly's defense and all out hustle. Sure, Caroline had lost speed, but, she was very experienced and a heady player with a high BB IQ.

Well, Tony's right. Mo and Bria and KML have all stepped up their D. We have BB back, she's always been a good defender. Stef is back to full strength, Kiah has greatly improved as has Bria and Stewie is off the charts. The short bench has actually made the kids more efficient and savvy. It seems like every pass and screen have more purpose.

So, Tony! I throw myself at your mercy and your feet and hope you don't step on my throat.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
For mojo's sake I wish you had waited until after the NC game.

And I don't believe in mojo.

Reaction Score
Hey, you know me, I don't hate anybody. But, I'm just admitting I was wrong. Anything can happen (and often does) in the tournament. I wasn't trying to mess with the MoJo, just pointing out that I seem to be the last one to see the obvious.

Reaction Score
That's not Tony's style. Will you hate us if we tell you next year's team will be even better than this year's team?!! ;)
I hope you're right but I'm not that confident. Losing Stef Dolson and especially her offensive contributions (being the playmaker and scorer that she is) along with Bria who is playing easily the best ball of her Huskie career is going to be tough. I know we bring in a really outstanding freshman class but with the possible exception of Kia Nurse (with her Canadian National team experience) I think it'll take a while before they're firing on all cylinders. We'll have Morgan Tuck coming off a serious knee issue which might mean she's not 100% for at least part of the year, one of the incoming freshman is coming off her 2nd ACL and though KML will probably be in the best shape of her life, Moriah will be superb and Stewie will be even stronger and better along with a continuing to improve Kia Stokes, will we actually be BETTER????? I don't expect much of anything from BB and although Saniya Chong will be back, hopefully stronger and more confident, I don't think she'll be a big factor though I'd love to be wrong. The only thing not factored in is the possibility of getting A'ja which would really, really offset Stef's loss. We should be great again but to lose two great leaders who contribute so much on and off the court will be extraordinarily tough. JMHO!
That's not Tony's style. Will you hate us if we tell you next year's team will be even better than this year's team?!! ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope you're right but I'm not that confident. Losing Stef Dolson and especially her offensive contributions (being the playmaker and scorer that she is) along with Bria who is playing easily the best ball of her Huskie career is going to be tough. I know we bring in a really outstanding freshman class but with the possible exception of Kia Nurse (with her Canadian National team experience) I think it'll take a while before they're firing on all cylinders. We'll have Morgan Tuck coming off a serious knee issue which might mean she's not 100% for at least part of the year, one of the incoming freshman is coming off her 2nd ACL and though KML will probably be in the best shape of her life, Moriah will be superb and Stewie will be even stronger and better along with a continuing to improve Kia Stokes, will we actually be BETTER????? I don't expect much of anything from BB and although Saniya Chong will be back, hopefully stronger and more confident, I don't think she'll be a big factor though I'd love to be wrong. The only thing not factored in is the possibility of getting A'ja which would really, really offset Stef's loss. We should be great again but to lose two great leaders who contribute so much on and off the court will be extraordinarily tough. JMHO!
You make excellent points. HOWEVER... Keep in mind we are watching the team right now. Think about what they were like back in November. Bria wasn't where she is now, and while Stef has always been terrific, it's not fair to compare our team in March/April with next year's team in November. You'd have to think back to where we were in November and how much this team has improved throughout the year...

And I do agree 100% with what you said - no guarantee Morgan is back 100%. No idea what to expect from the freshmen. But I'm going to say it right now. Kia Nurse will remind MANY people of Diana Taurasi before her 4 years here are done. There I said it. And as a freshman, she will probably be the most college ready kid we've ever seen. She's already a starter for the Canadian National Team and earned that at 17 years old. She's now 18 and will have the World Championships in Istanbul under her belt before she comes to UCONN next year. And as for my comparisons to Diana - she's about the same size, stronger, more athletic, a tenacious defender, HATES to lose, the leader of the Canadian National Team at 17 years old (mature beyond her years on the court), has incredible court awareness, and already possesses a terrific outside shot as well as strength to finish around the basket.

Then think about this...

KML - she will be a senior and if you think she's good now, just wait till her senior year
Stewie and Moriah will be 1 more year older and even more mature. How much better can they get? No idea but aren't we lucky that we get to enjoy them?
Morgan is now effectively part of Saniya's class. 3 more years of both of them.
Kiah Stokes is now the 1st post player off the bench. IMHO she's best defensive 5 in the entire nation. Will she average 15 and 10 next year? Doubt it, unless you are referring to rebounds and blocks!
Do not underestimate Ekmark, Williams or Edwards. Courtney may not have Kia's international experience, but will also be one of the more "college ready" kids we've ever seen.

My projected starters come November...

Jefferson
Nurse
KML
Stewie
Stokes

Bench - Tuck, Chong, Banks, Ekmark, Williams and Edwards. YIKES!! Our bench is deeper and stronger than this year's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom