Mr. Manual - Wisconsin on line one. | The Boneyard

Mr. Manual - Wisconsin on line one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A man can wish (harder) can't he??

"Strength of schedule is going to be a prime component for seeding the new four-team college football playoff when it debuts in 2014, so it’s reasonable to wonder if that will bring about a change in philosophy for the University of Wisconsin.

“If you want to be a player (in the national championship equation) and strength of schedule is going to be a part of it, then you really have to consider (a different approach),” UW athletic director Barry Alvarez said."...

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/article_fdf326b2-c302-11e1-9540-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz1zZMl7cYm

pj

Reaction Score
He wants marquee games with popular teams that can give Wisconsin national exposure -- Notre Dame, USC, Alabama.

The most interesting passage:

“You go undefeated in our league, you’re going to be in the top four in the country. You win our league championship, you’re going to be in the top four.”
This tells me we're going to an 8-team playoff quickly. All 4 of the big leagues feel their champion is entitled to be in the playoff. The ACC, NBE, and independents believe they're entitled to a shot many years. The SEC and in some years other conferences will believe they have two deserving teams. There is going to be a lot of crying about the selection committee choices with only a 4-team playoff.

Reaction Score
Just gonna keep it real here......if they want to improve their SOS they're gonna play us?

Reaction Score
Hang up!! Wisconsin is not a good OOC game. We want to play teams in our recruiting footprint. East Coast,Texas and other BE team's area.

Reaction Score
Stength of schedule. What? No more Buffalo or UMass. :rolleyes: That being said, how does UConn strengthen it's future schedule in terms of its OOC games? The obvious way is to get the ND's and Michigan's to agree to play us. They'll look at some subjective and objective things to be sure such as UConn's past record, recruiting success, home and away game attendance numbers, and win-loss records versus 'quality' teams. It'll be interesting to see how the BE commish and ADs manage this opportunity to advantage.

Reaction Score
Hang up!! Wisconsin is not a good OOC game. We want to play teams in our recruiting footprint. East Coast,Texas and other BE team's area.
it's early in the morning for me, so my sarcasm meter is off...tell me you're joking.

Reaction Score
Hindsight being 20/20, I would take the ND deal with our "home" games at a neutral sight in NY/NJ in a heartbeat right now.

Reaction Score
Just gonna keep it real here......if they want to improve their SOS they're gonna play us?

Agree in theory, that's why I mentioned a man can wish... But relationships for games 5-7 years out start now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-play umass every year instead of a fcs team
- N games vs big names are fine. what isn't fine is playing @ a school then in nyc so uconn gets no home game. as soon as thats done we lose big boys in the future for ever coming to the rent until we hit 60k expanded. can't do something silly like that.
-keep calling bc just to piss them off
-keep getting acc teams on the reg. do not schedule pitt, don't give them the light of day. there bball was never great as they tell ppl it was, let them watch our rise in fball from the sidelines

my pref of ooc games each year:

1-umass. 2 for 1 the rent and razor. get this game off the ground as quick as possible. start playing in bball and other sports more often. we may be on different levels right now but if we both rise to the top of each of our leagues, the long term benefits of where college football is going will feast on 2 new england public's. we can do it together or not help each other. i'm not saying were inviting them to the big east and they can use or pf etc. but a top of the mac umass vs a top of the big east uconn is better that a average uconn vs a fcs upgrade umass. the more both of us rise, the quicker bc dies.
2-big name(mich/tenn/psu/fl/tex...), they play at the rent first then we visit. give them bball baseball soccer games w/e.
3-acc team (md/unc/ncst/uva/gt/fsu/clem) or a b10 team(ill/msu/ind/). play big publics, that gets tv #'s and espn/abc attention.
4-a interesting filler series (ecu, tcu, byu) or a army game/series (there can be stuff done with a game like this to make it a bit special). a bc dream slot here...

Reaction Score
-play umass every year instead of a fcs team
- N games vs big names are fine. what isn't fine is playing @ a school then in nyc so uconn gets no home game. as soon as thats done we lose big boys in the future for ever coming to the rent until we hit 60k expanded. can't do something silly like that.
-keep calling bc just to piss them off
-keep getting acc teams on the reg. do not schedule pitt, don't give them the light of day. there bball was never great as they tell ppl it was, let them watch our rise in fball from the sidelines

my pref of ooc games each year:

1-umass. 2 for 1 the rent and razor. get this game off the ground as quick as possible. start playing in bball and other sports more often. we may be on different levels right now but if we both rise to the top of each of our leagues, the long term benefits of where college football is going will feast on 2 new england public's. we can do it together or not help each other. i'm not saying were inviting them to the big east and they can use or pf etc. but a top of the mac umass vs a top of the big east uconn is better that a average uconn vs a fcs upgrade umass. the more both of us rise, the quicker bc dies.
2-big name(mich/tenn/psu/fl/tex...), they play at the rent first then we visit. give them bball baseball soccer games w/e.
3-acc team (md/unc/ncst/uva/gt/fsu/clem) or a b10 team(ill/msu/ind/). play big publics, that gets tv #'s and espn/abc attention.
4-a interesting filler series (ecu, tcu, byu) or a army game/series (there can be stuff done with a game like this to make it a bit special). a bc dream slot here...

Dan, I love your enthusiasm, but fans are going to have get accustomed to the fact that other big name schools are not coming to East Hartford, not w/o lots of carrots. Why would they? Is our men's BB team playing Butler at Butler? What about VCU in Richmond? NFW. We're too good for them, and that is exactly how the big boys of CFB feel about us.

There are fewer games and now Ws mean everything, if you want to get to the playoffs. I am all in favor of playing anyone, anywhere, at anytime. IMO, #2 and #3 ain't happening any more this decade, period. Wisconsin ain't coming, sorry. Why would they? You might get Indiana back or a Kansas, but no way a school w/playoff aspirations puts that on the line w/an OOC game in a small stadium in East Hartford, CT. It's just not realistic. Mr. Manuel's creativity will be put to the test.

Reaction Score
Operator's manual
Tells me what to do
When emotions blow a fuse
Indicating blue

Operator's manual
Tells me what to find
And how to make adjustments when
You tamper with my mind

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, I love your enthusiasm, but fans are going to have get accustomed to the fact that other big name schools are not coming to East Hartford, not w/o lots of carrots. Why would they? Is our men's BB team playing Butler at Butler? What about VCU in Richmond? NFW. We're too good for them, and that is exactly how the big boys of CFB feel about us.

There are fewer games and now Ws mean everything, if you want to get to the playoffs. I am all in favor of playing anyone, anywhere, at anytime. IMO, #2 and #3 ain't happening any more this decade, period. Wisconsin ain't coming, sorry. Why would they? You might get Indiana back or a Kansas, but no way a school w/playoff aspirations puts that on the line w/an OOC game in a small stadium in East Hartford, CT. It's just not realistic. Mr. Manuel's creativity will be put to the test.

fair enough but i think now that soon we will all see that rpi/sos type numbers will mean something. if there are 2 undefeated teams and 3 1 loss teams a 2 2 loss teams the top 4 thing will be a mess. the undefeated teams will get in, then its who has the rip/sos numbers from there. uconn can offer something unique that other teams on our current level can't. thats bball games, thats a big public brand name that will be better for tv, its a chance for nyc and boston alum to have a short travel to a away game to see there school(mich tenn etc...). uconn is not a dead program like indiana right now so it will be a quality ooc game for teams. i think we may be pleasantly surprised what our future schedules may look like.

Reaction Score
PLEASE state legislators stay out of the football scheduling business this time around.

Feb. 2008: UConn and Notre Dame will begin a 10-game football series next year, according to an internal Notre Dame memo detailing future Irish schedules that was leaked to Internet websites.

The first meeting would be Nov. 21, 2009 in South Bend, Ind. The Fighting Irish would also host the Huskies in 2011, 2014, 2016 and 2018.

According to the memo, the Irish would not come to Rentschler Field in East Hartford. UConn's "home" games would be at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., in 2013, 2017 and 2020 and at the new Meadowlands stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., in 2015 and 2019.

Aug. 2008: The General Assembly has given its blessing for UConn to enter into a contract under which UConn’s “home” games will not be played at Rentschler Field, but at either the new Giants Stadium or Gillette Stadium.
The agreement between UConn and the General Assembly included shortening the length of the contract with Notre Dame from ten years to seven years. (There will actually be two contracts with Notre Dame: a contract for a single game on November 21, 2009; and a contract for a six-game series between 2011 and 2017). The rationale was that a shorter series would provide the opportunity to renegotiate a second series, during which Notre Dame might agree to play in Connecticut.
“If there’s a 10-game series, the window of opportunity to play at Rentschler is zero. Scaling it back to six years, think it leaves the window open a little bit for a Rentschler game.”
-Rep. Michael Christ, East Hartford
As we know all this legislative grandstanding prompted by a puffy-chested few did was close the window on any games this decade with Irish. Let's leave the schedule stuff to Mr. Manuel and the tax & deficit raising stuff to the GA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom