Moriah or Stewie for POY | The Boneyard

Moriah or Stewie for POY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this for 2 reasons!Uconn really transformed into a great team when MoJeff came back from I think it was Xmas break and played incredible the rest of the year.Breanna was Stewie all year long.Imo if Moriah played like that all year.She could of easily been POY.Reason 2 Tina Charles was POY in 2010 and as great as Tina was IMO Maya should have swept the awards that year.If they play like the 2nd half of last season then it would be a tough choice but my pick would be Moriah Jefferson!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All one has to do is to watch Moriah to see how sensational she is... but... If her scoring numbers aren't up at least 15-16 PPG or more, it's doubtful IMHO that she would be seriously considered. So many of the voters don't have a chance to watch every game so they are stuck going off hype, and statistics.

If you have a NPOY candidate averaging 20+ PPG, it's had for another player to win. One big exception was DT. I think her senior year she averaged about 16 or so PPG, but there were a few players that year who scored way more points and some felt Dee shouldn't have won NPOY. Still, anyone who watched her knew she totally deserved it and she's gone on to prove she's the greatest of all time...!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It will be tough for anyone to supplant Breanna as POY if she just continues what she is doing. But I posted in another thread that I thought either Morgan or Moriah might be the MVP of the team - that is team dynamic and a reflection of their leadership, which allows Breanna to focus more on just doing her thing. I just think the POY is a different vote most of the time, and in that race she is the face of Uconn.

Reaction Score
All one has to do is to watch Moriah to see how sensational she is... but... If her scoring numbers aren't up at least 15-16 PPG or more, it's doubtful IMHO that she would be seriously considered. So many of the voters don't have a chance to watch every game so they are stuck going off hype, and statistics.

If you have a NPOY candidate averaging 20+ PPG, it's had for another player to win. One big exception was DT. I think her senior year she averaged about 16 or so PPG, but there were a few players that year who scored way more points and some felt Dee shouldn't have won NPOY. Still, anyone who watched her knew she totally deserved it and she's gone on to prove she's the greatest of all time...!

Stewie is certainly a lot more than hype and statistics. Moriah is a great player who does a lot to affect the game but so is Stewie.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The need (lacking ingredient) after the Stanford game last year was leadership. Morgan Tuck provided leadership, facilitated the offense to NC efficiency, and put up All-American numbers. Why not Morgan?
You know what this thread is pointing out?
UCONN might have the 3 best players in the country!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe Morgan, if she plays like she did last year, will deserve POY. However, as what happened in the national tournament, Stewart will probably be awarded it. Stewart said that Moriah should have won the most valuable award in the Final Four last season but, she was given it because the press wanted her to win three straight. However, if Stewart plays to her total college potential, she will deserve it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
One thing that might help Moriah, in addition to a few more ppg, would be an absolutely unholy assist to turnover ratio, especially in the non-conference schedule. She's in a position to tack one up for posterity to shoot at.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In 2010, Tina and Maya shared NPOY awards. If Moriah is as sensational this year as she has the potential to be, we may well see a repeat of this.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In 2010, Tina and Maya shared NPOY awards. If Moriah is as sensational this year as she has the potential to be, we may well see a repeat of this.
That would be cool if they could split them.

Reaction Score
I have always felt that with UConn the player of the year should be the team. This team will be special and if they stay a team you can count on an undefeated season. So don't worry about awards, the girls will be just fine playing UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
As someone suggested aren't we in a wonderful place to begin a debate 5 weeks before the season will kick off about which of a trio of our rooting interests should get the most consideration for a NPOY. Imagine how many of the Div.1 schools look around their own conferences and can't see anyone on their roster getting consideration for an MVP of the conference, let alone national talk. What an absolutely beautiful world lives in Storrs!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As someone suggested aren't we in a wonderful place to begin a debate 5 weeks before the season will kick off about which of a trio of our rooting interests should get the most consideration for a NPOY. Imagine how many of the Div.1 schools look around their own conferences and can't see anyone on their roster getting consideration for an MVP of the conference, let alone national talk. What an absolutely beautiful world lives in Storrs!
Not too shabby.

5896239.jpg

Reaction Score
Not to mention two candidates for Freshman of the Year and a sophomore who was two for two in tournament MVPs this summer.:D:cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mo is such a durable, steadying force at the point - and as of now at least it is her team. Her stat line from last season is very impressive. However, if Natalie Butler delivers as some of us think she will, Stewie can expand her game and the momentum for her garnering the lion's share of awards will be hard to surmount.

OBTW: I find the team stats page a worthy study. What an amazing starting 5 that was.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sue Bird averaged around 14.6 pts and about 5.6 ast. and Taurasi was around 14.5 pts and 5.3 ast. in 2002.

Reaction Score
Not to mention two candidates for Freshman of the Year and a sophomore who was two for two in tournament MVPs this summer.:D:cool:
Also not mentioning the Storrs debut of O Y from the Big East for 13/14. KLS and Collier could possibly have to pile up results as Gabby did last year. I think Geno is going to have one heck of a job in front of him if Butler joins the starting lineup (I think she has the edge because of a full year with the team absent the games of course) with Saniya, Gabby, KLS, Collier, Boykin and Ekmark all available for how many minutes? Tough job, nice problem to have instead of hunting down walk ons for practice.

Reaction Score
The need (lacking ingredient) after the Stanford game last year was leadership. Morgan Tuck provided leadership, facilitated the offense to NC efficiency, and put up All-American numbers. Why not Morgan?
You know what this thread is pointing out?
UCONN might have the 3 best players in the country!
I agree Coco,Morgan was the heart of the team and you are right about them being the 3 best players in the country!I hope Morgan stays for her 5th year and enjoys the rewards she deserves!This year though first team AA at the least.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree Coco,Morgan was the heart of the team and you are right about them being the 3 best players in the country!I hope Morgan stays for her 5th year and enjoys the rewards she deserves!This year though first team AA at the least.
Yes - stay a 5th year and get an unprecedented 5th NC!!

Reaction Score
Everybody writes such great things about this team all I want is to be able to watch them play with the performance that we all expect. I am glad I pay for the sports channels. UCONN basketball is the best thing about Winter and early Spring.

Reaction Score

Wasn't Alana Beard player of the year Diana's senior year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom