Moriah Finalist for Dawn Staley Award | The Boneyard

Moriah Finalist for Dawn Staley Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell (University of South Carolina), Rachel Banham (University of Minnesota), Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State University), and Moriah Jefferson (University of Connecticut) have been named the finalists for this year's Dawn Staley Award.

Niya Johnson of Baylor should be one of the Finalist.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell (University of South Carolina), Rachel Banham (University of Minnesota), Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State University), and Moriah Jefferson (University of Connecticut) have been named the finalists for this year's Dawn Staley Award.

Niya Johnson of Baylor should be one of the Finalist.
Don't much care about that one. NL one is more prestigious in my mind.

Phoenix Club of Philadelphia??? What's that anyway?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Is this one more of a 2G award? Sort of? I see Tiff as an off guard and I don't think Banham plays the 1 either. Kelsey Mitchell always has the ball in her hands so I can't tell as far as she goes...

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Don't much care about that one. NL one is more prestigious in my mind.

Phoenix Club of Philadelphia??? What's that anyway?

Always remember that Google is your friend :) From the award's site:

The Phoenix Club of Philadelphia was established in 2008 to recognize each year the achievements of the most outstanding male and female high school and collegiate basketball players from the Philadelphia Public League.

The awards are given in the names of former public league high school coaches and player legends.

In 2013, the Phoenix Club of Philadelphia established the Dawn Staley Award to recognize the nation’s best guard in Women’s Division I college basketball, tying one of the most accomplished women’s basketball players in the world from the Philadelphia public league to the nation’s best guard in women’s college basketball.

The Dawn Staley Award is given annually to a player who exemplifies the skills that Dawn possessed throughout her career; ball handling, scoring, her ability to distribute the basketball and her will to win.

In 2013, the inaugural award was presented to Skylar Diggins (Notre Dame). Last year, Odyssey Sims (Baylor) captured the award which is now of one of the most prestigious awards given annually in Women’s College Basketball. [someone clearly hasn't updated this section]

Moriah wasn't a finalist for this award last year. Loyd, the Mitchells, and Hrynko were with Tiffany Mitchell winning.

It might not be surprising when Mo doesn't win this one.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell got this in the bag.....It could easily go to any of them. But I wouldn't argue either way it went.

Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell Named The Dawn Staley Award 2015 Winner

The 2016 award recipient will be announced during the Final Four weekend and the award ceremony will be held Wednesday, April 22, 2016 at the Union League of Philadelphia.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I gotta believe the Union League has input for the award from the person it's named after. My money is on Tiffany Mitchell to win it. Sort of a no brainer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We went through this last year. Philadelphia (Dawn's hometown) named an award in Dawn's honor & gave the award to one of Dawn's players. Hardly newsworthy unless you are Dawn or one of her players because if I'm not mistaken you might have to come to Philly to pickup the award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom