Morgan Tuck: "I'm planning on staying my fifth year..." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Morgan Tuck: "I'm planning on staying my fifth year..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks Java. Maybe now it will put to bed the speculation that she'd leave early with her classmates of Stewie and Mo. Several of us were pretty vocal in our assertion that it was pretty silly for people to be speculating that she'd leave early. Maybe she will change her mind down the road, but there would need to be a reason for it that does not exist at the moment (she injures herself again, her family suddenly becomes destitute and she needs to earn $ overseas, or something like that)...

Why? because she said 1 year earlier that she is planning on staying in her 5th? So you think she is going to come out and say "I'm leaving next year" and then if she gets hurt, then what? She publicly says "I decided to stay?"
I don't think it silly at all to want to go out and play the sport you love professionally. We just saw two players do it. Don't tell me only other players and not UCONN would ever do it.

I hope she stays but if she is a top tier pick and wins 4. IMO that's a lifetime dream. Why would you come out and say that in your junior year? There si no reason to say it.

Reaction Score
Thanks Java. Maybe now it will put to bed the speculation that she'd leave early with her classmates of Stewie and Mo. Several of us were pretty vocal in our assertion that it was pretty silly for people to be speculating that she'd leave early. Maybe she will change her mind down the road, but there would need to be a reason for it that does not exist at the moment (she injures herself again, her family suddenly becomes destitute and she needs to earn $ overseas, or something like that)...
That speculation was based on an interview done earlier in the year where she said that she would prefer to leave with her classmates. At the time the way she said it made me think it had to do more with her life outside of basketball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why? because she said 1 year earlier that she is planning on staying in her 5th? So you think she is going to come out and say "I'm leaving next year" and then if she gets hurt, then what? She publicly says "I decided to stay?"
I don't think it silly at all to want to go out and play the sport you love professionally. We just saw two players do it. Don't tell me only other players and not UCONN would ever do it.

I hope she stays but if she is a top tier pick and wins 4. IMO that's a lifetime dream. Why would you come out and say that in your junior year? There si no reason to say it.
I didn't say Morgan would be silly if she left. I said the speculation that she would leave early was. And now given her comments it will be even more silly to speculate that she leaves early. Hopefully this puts it to bed, unless something new happens.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think she stays for a number of reasons.............(1) She see's the value in getting that Masters Degree now, as opposed to waiting and having to pay for it herself ; (2) She gets to play WCBB , something she loves ; (3) She gets a chance to go to maybe FIVE (5) FF's , and ; (4) She gets a chance to perhaps win FIVE (5) NC's.........SOMETHING THAT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE IN WCBB.

The Key to all of this hinges on what happens next season. If the UConn team can pull off the most difficult feat yet in WCBB , another NC , I think she stays and go for that 5th. No one in WCBB has had such an opportunity............. But I think she stays regardless.

Reaction Score
There are opportunity costs for both staying and leaving. Without knowing her utility function it is difficult to assess the best course of action for her. She's a smart young woman and I trust her to make the best decision for her. I do think its a lot easier to say you are staying a week after winning a national championship than it is after the first week of practice.

Reaction Score
It all depends on what her personal goals are at the end of next season. Her health will also figure into her decision.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It ain't happening folks. She is in all likelihood staying for five. You just need to accept it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“At this point, I’m planning on staying no matter what happens,” Tuck said. “In my fifth year I can get a Masters Degree and getting another degree can’t hurt you ever. I’d rather get it right after undergraduate instead of going back to school later to get it. I don’t think anything that happens next year will sway me either way because I’m bonded to the program and I love being here.”

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/uconns-tuck-planning-to-take-the-fifth/

Reaction Score
“At this point, I’m planning on staying no matter what happens,” Tuck said. “In my fifth year I can get a Masters Degree and getting another degree can’t hurt you ever. I’d rather get it right after undergraduate instead of going back to school later to get it. I don’t think anything that happens next year will sway me either way because I’m bonded to the program and I love being here.”

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/uconns-tuck-planning-to-take-the-fifth/
Does anyone know her major? It could be that she's planning to take a higher road [than professional basketball] for her career.

Reaction Score
She's listed as a business major, so an MBA?
No idea if the course work for that program would be feasible for someone on the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's listed as a business major, so an MBA?
No idea if the course work for that program would be feasible for someone on the team.
I'm sure it can be customized to fit her schedule. Many MBA programs are designed to accommodate working professionals with demanding full-time work schedules. I did mine in 2 years, during which I traveled to China 16 times for work, in addition to my normal work travel.

Reaction Score
Bria Hartley is making a nice paycheck overseas. You don't need to make DT overseas money to make good money.

I still think she might. There is no way she is going to say in her jr year "I'm leaving in my sr year" - if she did that - then what happens if she gets hurt?

hoophuskee- - - The difference between Bria Hartley and Morgan Tuck is she had 4 years of college ball behind her and several AA years! Morgan has been hurt and only recently has been healthy enough to show what she can do! She has no real stats as Bria did to earn the big bucks overseas, but with 5 years and 4 or 5 NCAA Championships under her belt the big paydays will be coming! Take her at her word she'll play out the string at UCONN and then head out to the big $!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the issue of, 'what other response is she going to make' - if she really didn't know, or if she was leaning towards leaving, it is very easy to give a noncommittal response of 'I really don't know' or 'I haven't had any time to think about this' neither of which would put a damper on the team celebrations, or effect the perceptions within the team. The Uconn women are quite articulate and nuanced, and I think we can take this response at face value and that she is leaning towards staying for her fifth year.

On the actual decision - what happens during the fall semester next year is probably the most important issue in whether her current inclination to stay gets reevaluated. How much she enjoys working with the freshman and Natalie on the court, and perhaps more importantly, off the court will have a huge bearing on how attractive a 5th year will be. The MBA value will not change. The maturity factor will not change - she appears to be very mature for her age both on a basketball and personal level. The chance to lead a transitional team is unique - while the graduating class of Stewart and Jefferson is not the 4 player TASS class - the quality and impact will be quite similar. The challenge DT faced was greater, but Morgan would face one not dissimilar if she stays. Those types of challenges can be quite inspiring and attractive.

Reaction Score
Colleges aren't running around handing out free Master's Degrees. It's wise of Morgan to grab the opportunity sitting there.

Reaction Score
Colleges aren't running around handing out free Master's Degrees. It's wise of Morgan to grab the opportunity sitting there.
it depends on the field, but actually they are. Professional degrees like, law and business are really expensive so if her basketball scholarship can pay for one those its a great value. But for another field where she could at worst TA to get the degree paid for there isn't as much value to the scholarship.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Morgan has 5 rings, she can use that as a unique point in negotiating, whether in the Euroleague or corporate America later on.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it can be customized to fit her schedule. Many MBA programs are designed to accommodate working professionals with demanding full-time work schedules. I did mine in 2 years, during which I traveled to China 16 times for work, in addition to my normal work travel.
I remember the MBA program at UConn used to be 19 courses, so it would be impossible to complete it within one year......

Reaction Score
I remember the MBA program at UConn used to be 19 courses, so it would be impossible to complete it within one year.
At a lot of places now have 5 year masters program, including MBAs. I think they do it by letting you take classes that you would have taken for your masters before you get to that 5th year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom