Morgan granted fifth year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Morgan granted fifth year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never said it wouldn't work because of a talent situation on the floor at a given time. [Mod edit]

It would make no sense for any team to start it's only 3 legitimate low post players, leaving it's bench vacant of a post substitute, when there are multiple, viable options, even if those 3 post players are capable of a starting role. Moreover, the remaining bench doesn't even consist of a stretch 3, let alone a small 4, if Stokes, Stewart and Tuck comprise the starting rotation.

If there was a talent void, leaving the coaches with no options, that might be a different story, but this team is not faced with that issue, therefore, to willingly remove the option of the only post sub, in my opinion, make no sense.

No sense to you. So I guess it made no sense to put Kiah on the floor, their only other post, with Dolson.

Let's see that Geno thinks in a couple of months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
This is gr8 news for Morgan & Uconn. Healthy, she is a force. In one of the next three years she could do what Kalena Greene did in her 5th year which was lead & be a key cog in more NC's. And KG recovered from her knee injury, had a really nice 5th year and & played WNBA. Morgan is a solid contributor in all phases when even reasonably healthy & she has a scorers mentality. I am cautiously optimistic that brought along slowly this year she can make a significant recovery for a team that can ill afford to have foul trouble in the front court in a tight, big game. Let's face it, if Morgan had stayed healthy, Kiah might be off the bench with 20 min. That said, I would love for Kiah to show up in the fall with a 12-15 foot shot that can draw her opponent out (Stef was the best) because she can pass, rebound and play defense with the best when she plays with an aggressive mindset as she did at the end of last year. That was the first time I really saw her having fun.
And, as for Saniya, unless she makes the huge jump in her overall game, as MJ did last year, she will never be a major factor because her shot has to be loaded up before firing. And it is unusual to get that kind of time in the game today no matter who your teammates are.

Reaction Score
A tip of the cap to the poster (think it is someone with Stanford ties and/or a Stanford-related handle on here) who was so steadfast and so accurate in his reassuring posts regarding the expected outcome of this situation. Sorry I can't remember your handle, but I read all of your posts on this matter and appreciated them. Thank you and stay well. Additionally, I think this is powerful news for our team.

That was me. This outcome is as surprising as the sun rising in the East. The probability of her being granted an extra year was at all times 100% - but the UConn beat writers created a lot of worry by doing a totally incompetent job of reporting it. They never bothered to read the rules or talk to anyone who understood them. The rules on this are very clear - and despite a lot of misinformation, no-one in her situation has ever been turned down when requesting a medical hardship waiver.

Reaction Score
Good news. That should end the anxieties.

Anxieties that should never have existed - except for a horrible job of reporting the story by the UConn beat reporters, followed by a lot of ignorance about NCAA rules and the process for getting a hardship waiver. The probability was always 100% - assuming UConn wasn't totally lying about her medical situation, which I didn't think was the case.

Reaction Score
SH: well, Stamford, Stanford....six of one..........they both have their issues ;)

(Actually, I was thinking it might have been you....yours was the only handle that kept coming back to me. Anyhow, thanks for identifying yourself and for keeping us on course throughout those many redshirt posts.)

Reaction Score
Honestly I just can't see Saniya Chong starting any games this year. I think Nurse will win the starting because of her size, ball handling, and basketball IQ. She has played against the best in the world so she knows what she will be up against and I don't think she will be intimidated.
Nurse will not be available to practice with the team until after the world championship which ends the first week in October. That is a real disadvantage in learning the UCONN system before the season begins. I doubt she will be on the same page as the rest of team in such a short time frame. By mid season she may very well be in starting line up but not before. Ergo it is Saniya's job to loose.

Reaction Score
If Morgan's goal is to play in the W.N.B.A. after college, then if she's healthy, I would leave with a year of eligibility. I'm not saying she will, but why risk an injury if your goal is to play in the W.N.B.A. I know. The college experience is unique. I can't argue with that.
Isn't the "college experience" of a UCONN WBB player pretty cushy (charter aircraft, 5-star hotels, etc.) compared to that in the more budget-minded and low-paying WNBA? Might be nice to hang around an live like a rock star one more year...

Reaction Score
The Uconn system is not incredibly complex and I think that Nurse will pick it up quite fast. I do agree that it might take a little bit to gel with her teammates and learn their tendencies but she will be fine. I also think that Nurse's game will grow immensely playing with the Canadien National Team and playing against the best players in the world is the best preparation that she can get. Here are some quotes by Coach Auriemma in a John Altavilla post.

Auriemma said he’s confident that Nurse’s development with the national team will be equal, if not greater, than what she would have received at UConn during the months she will away from campus.

“One of the advantages you have playing international basketball is that 99 percent of the time you are playing against players older and more experienced than you are,” Auriemma said. “If you are the youngest player on the team, you have a lot to learn. But at the same time, the experience and education you are getting is unlike anything you will get anywhere else.

“I would imagine that after the summer and fall training with them [Canada] and playing in the World Championship, that when Kia shows up on campus she is going to be be much different than most 17 year olds who come to college. She reminds me in many ways of where Svetlana Abrosimova and Breanna Stewart were when they came to UConn because of all the international play they’ve had in advance of college.”

Reaction Score
No sense to you. So I guess it made no sense to put Kiah on the floor, their only other post, with Dolson.

Let's see that Geno thinks in a couple of months.
Correct, no sense to me, as I only speak for me.

I notice Geno didn't continually run out a starting front line of Stokes, Dolson and Stewart after Tuck went down and I would be surprised if he starts Stokes, Stewart and Tuck this season, unless the other options at the 2 guard prove not to be up to the challenge. If he decides to go "big" at selected times, playing his 3 prototypical frontcourt players at the same time, with KML at the 2 is certainly an option, but I'd be surprised if that is the starting 5.

We shall see soon enough.

HGN

Reaction Score
Honestly I just can't see Saniya Chong starting any games this year. I think Nurse will win the starting because of her size, ball handling, and basketball IQ. She has played against the best in the world so she knows what she will be up against and I don't think she will be intimidated.
Sawxfan, IMHO , I think Saniya will be ready, and will start at the 2-spot. Geno has always been reluctant to start a freshman if he had other choices. I think Saniya gives him that choice. Nurse is more experienced having played for Canadian national teams. But Saniya is more experienced in having played for a Geno coached team.....And there-in lies her advantage.

Reaction Score
The Uconn system is not incredibly complex and I think that Nurse will pick it up quite fast. I do agree that it might take a little bit to gel with her teammates and learn their tendencies but she will be fine. I also think that Nurse's game will grow immensely playing with the Canadien National Team and playing against the best players in the world is the best preparation that she can get. Here are some quotes by Coach Auriemma in a John Altavilla post.

Auriemma said he’s confident that Nurse’s development with the national team will be equal, if not greater, than what she would have received at UConn during the months she will away from campus.

“One of the advantages you have playing international basketball is that 99 percent of the time you are playing against players older and more experienced than you are,” Auriemma said. “If you are the youngest player on the team, you have a lot to learn. But at the same time, the experience and education you are getting is unlike anything you will get anywhere else.

“I would imagine that after the summer and fall training with them [Canada] and playing in the World Championship, that when Kia shows up on campus she is going to be be much different than most 17 year olds who come to college. She reminds me in many ways of where Svetlana Abrosimova and Breanna Stewart were when they came to UConn because of all the international play they’ve had in advance of college.”
Sawxfan,

The UCONN system at its best requires all the players to be on the same page.
On defense understanding everyone's strengths and weakness is always key. It doesn't require individual players simply playing one on one in a match up. The court awareness required to play team defense is with few exceptions only acquired with lots of practice and game experience to know how and when to switch and help.
The offense may not have a plethora of complicated set plays. It is a read and react system with constant motion. It requires enough practice so each player is seemingly reacting instinctively without thinking.
Svet showed a lot of frustration early on when she exspected the other players to be on the same page with her. That's why Geno stresses a great pass is one that is caught within the flow of the offense.
Briana despite her innate ability and wealth of international experience didn't make the team better until she understood her role. Hell her freshman year, Geno had to make it simple.... by the NCAA's she spent most of the games running a loop on offense from the elbow out on offense where her role was to catch and shoot and wow she could shoot!
In my opinion Kia will only start when she is familiar with her team mates and they with her. That takes time both in practice and in games.

Reaction Score
Nurse will not be available to practice with the team until after the world championship which ends the first week in October. That is a real disadvantage in learning the UCONN system before the season begins. I doubt she will be on the same page as the rest of team in such a short time frame. By mid season she may very well be in starting line up but not before. Ergo it is Saniya's job to loose.
Courtney will learn the system in two weeks max.

Reaction Score
Sawxfan,

The UCONN system at its best requires all the players to be on the same page.
On defense understanding everyone's strengths and weakness is always key. It doesn't require individual players simply playing one on one in a match up. The court awareness required to play team defense is with few exceptions only acquired with lots of practice and game experience to know how and when to switch and help.
The offense may not have a plethora of complicated set plays. It is a read and react system with constant motion. It requires enough practice so each player is seemingly reacting instinctively without thinking.
Svet showed a lot of frustration early on when she exspected the other players to be on the same page with her. That's why Geno stresses a great pass is one that is caught within the flow of the offense.
Briana despite her innate ability and wealth of international experience didn't make the team better until she understood her role. Hell her freshman year, Geno had to make it simple.... by the NCAA's she spent most of the games running a loop on offense from the elbow out on offense where her role was to catch and shoot and wow she could shoot!
In my opinion Kia will only start when she is familiar with her team mates and they with her. That takes time both in practice and in games.

Stewart played great the first 10 or so games of her freshman season and averaged close to 18 pts a game right out of the gate. Her struggles were a lack of confidence she had mid way through the season and not in anyway related to her understanding of the offense. Look it up her first five games her pt totals were 15, 21, 21,11, 20.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It must be interesting and powerful for both Morgan and Gabby to rehab together ... there is so much knowledge about the rehab process to convey and share that is invaluable ... and in the background of this is the feelings and mental attitudes that accompany such injuries ... and the length of time it takes to painstakingly condition oneself back ... I am looking forward to seeing how Morgan and Gabby mesh their physical rehabilitation with their competitive fire on court ...

Reaction Score
Nah, she needs to stay and work on her Masters.
I agree totally, and not only from a "I want her playing at UConn for as long as we can" perspective. She may have seen just how quickly basketball can be taken away from her, and given the opportunity to add a Masters Degree to her resume, she just might stay all 5 years.
Regardless, I'm hoping for a return to full health for Morgan. She's shown herself to be a special player when healthy.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Isn't the "college experience" of a UCONN WBB player pretty cushy (charter aircraft, 5-star hotels, etc.) compared to that in the more budget-minded and low-paying WNBA? Might be nice to hang around an live like a rock star one more year...

Please recall the harrowing New Year's eve/day commercial flight(s) from the West Coast a few years ago which (in my view, though not generally accepted) contributed to a Notre Dame loss.

It isn't always wine and roses.

Reaction Score
Stewart played great the first 10 or so games of her freshman season and averaged close to 18 pts a game right out of the gate. Her struggles were a lack of confidence she had mid way through the season and not in anyway related to her understanding of the offense. Look it up her first five games her pt totals were 15, 21, 21,11, 20.

Part of the reason she started strong, however, is that all her early games were blowout wins against vastly inferior teams, where her height and athletic ability were more than enough to dominate. Over the first six games of her freshman year, UConn averaged 92 ppg and won by an average margin of 49 points. The closest game of the six saw UConn win by 30. Not so coincidentally, her slump began in the 7th game when they met Top 10 Maryland followed by Top 10 Penn State. Following two blowout wins - where her numbers were good - she struggled on the road at #1 Stanford and at Oregon, followed by a loss to #5 Notre Dame. From that point on, her scoring continued to be down and likely had to do with confidence issues. In fact, she never really started putting up big scoring numbers again until the Big East tournament.

Reaction Score
Sonny44- - - - I think Soniya is going to surprise a bunch of people this season and going on in her career! She will show more of what we saw in her HS career. I do think Geno will work in some of the freshmen in the SG spot as they get more and more experience! But Soniya will still average 15-18 minutes a game at the end!

Reaction Score
Sonny44- - - - I think Soniya is going to surprise a bunch of people this season and going on in her career! She will show more of what we saw in her HS career. I do think Geno will work in some of the freshmen in the SG spot as they get more and more experience! But Soniya will still average 15-18 minutes a game at the end!

That would make me very happy too!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Many Boneyarders have projected Morgan to come of the bench in a "sixth (wo)man" role.

I'm not so sure about that. (I know I know, she's supposed to spell Kiah -- I've heard it often but just can't bring myself to buy it.)

Mainly because of nagging injuries, she has played intermittently. It is easy to forget what a terrific player she can be when fully healthy. Remember, her teammates on the USA team (U17?) elected her to be team captain for her skills and leadership. She can shoot, defend, and rebound. Definitely AA potential.

Nothing would please me more than to see Morgan pile up 1,000+ minutes and cut down the nets at the end of her sophomore (!) season.
- Nice post. I have to agree, you’re dead right reminding us not to overlook Morgan’s leadership, nor her strong play.

- Reviewing UConn games, I noted ESPN’s Doris Burke highlighting Morgan’s consistent reliability, just as you point out.

- I particularly enjoyed the video feed of our country’s Team Captain in Gurabo, Puerto Rico: as the team pushed her out to accept the 2012 FIBA Americas U18 Championship trophy: In Spanish, the announcer first said ‘The First Place Trophy is presented to USA’s Morgan Tuck, Captain.’ Catching himself, he said in English: ‘That’s right! Captain Morgan! No relation!

- As you noted, it’s easy to forget, just a year ago, how Coach Katie Meier was repeatedly emphasizing the impact our country’s Co-Captains' leadership (before and during the games) was making in winning the Gold Medal FIBA 2013 U-19 World Championships: Rock-solid leader Morgan Tuck… and her buddy (insert every earthly accolade, here) Breanna Stewart.

- Starters? Playing time? I certainly don’t know how Coach A will play his cards,… but that stacked deck he uses for our coming seasons, now sure seems stronger than ever.
Cards Stacked.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger