Morgan granted fifth year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Morgan granted fifth year

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

100% agree with you. Who starts in her replace? A freshman? I dont see that happening unless Morgan is, God fore bid, inured again.
Are you talking about starters for this coming season? Just to be clear, Morgan is coming off a year where she had season ending surgery. As good a player as she is, almost no one comes back from a major injury or surgery and knocks it out of the park right out the gate...

Most recently, Hartly and Banks struggled big time coming back from injuries. Plus, who do you start - Jefferson, KML, Tuck, Stewie and Stokes? That's basically 1 guard. Aside from Moriah, the other 4 are certainly competent with the ball, but KML does not strike me as a guard/facilitator with the ball. I would think Chong has a better chance at starting than Tuck... But maybe Geno sees it differently. Maybe you are right though - but I think it takes her time to find her basketball mojo again...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Morgan starts with Kiah and Stewie, then who comes off the bench to provide bench minutes at the inside positions?

Those three are the only ones suited to play the 4 and 5 positions (well, maybe KML could, but that would waste her major skill). That implies to me that only two of them will start, and that would be Kiah and Stewie.

I too think that Saniya will be the starting 2 guard on October 15. It is possible that one of the freshman will take that job from her, possibly before the first game, possibly later. Or not -- maybe she will show that she is the most qualified, the hardest worker, etc. But she knows the offense better than they do, or better than they probably will after only a month of full-team practice. For that reason alone, she has the inside track, i.e., it is her job to lose.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Great gal to have around for the extra year!

Reaction Score
If Morgan's goal is to play in the W.N.B.A. after college, then if she's healthy, I would leave with a year of eligibility. I'm not saying she will, but why risk an injury if your goal is to play in the W.N.B.A. I know. The college experience is unique. I can't argue with that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second - I don't think Morgan will start, she will come off the bench as the Sixth "Man."

As Uconnfan1 said, it could take her most of the season to round into playing shape. The track record is clear on players coming back from serious knee injuries. It takes about a year. If she is back to form by tournament time, we will be in great shape.

I don't think Geno is going to push her to far or fast until she is ready.

Reaction Score
Even if Morgan is physically ready, I cannot see this team starting all 3 of it's legitimate low post players......

That would make absolutely no sense, especially with a bench full of guards.

Reaction Score
Even if Morgan is physically ready, I cannot see this team starting all 3 of it's legitimate low post players.

That would make absolutely no sense, especially with a bench full of guards.

Tuck, Stewie and Kiah up front, and they can post up anybody in the game. KML on the wing and Mo with the ball driving to the hole. If the D moves to help, one of the posts will be open for a chippie. Stewie can rotate to the 2 spot during the flow of play-drive to the hole as well has shoot 3's. Tuck can also rotate out to the wing and shoot 3's and KML can move to the front line looking to draw contact, like she did against ND in the Final 4 or take step back jumpers.

You are right. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Offensively, not a problem, but who defends the other guard? Surely, not KML.

Reaction Score
IMHO I think Geno will bring Morgan along slowly to build up her strength and stamina! She went through a very serious operation! Early on she'll play about 12-15 minutes. She'll come off the bench to sub for Kiah, or Stewie.
Remember it's not who starts that's important but who is in in crunch time!
Geno most likely will start the most experienced players early then as the new players get themselves integrated they'll play more & more!
PG MoJeff
SG Soniya
SF KML
PF Stewie
C Kiah
If everyone can remain injury/sickness free he'll be going much deeper into the bench than the last several years.

Reaction Score
Many Boneyarders have projected Morgan to come of the bench in a "sixth (wo)man" role.

I'm not so sure about that. (I know I know, she's supposed to spell Kiah -- I've heard it often but just can't bring myself to buy it.)

Mainly because of nagging injuries, she has played intermittently. It is easy to forget what a terrific player she can be when fully healthy. Remember, her teammates on the USA team (U17?) elected her to be team captain for her skills and leadership. She can shoot, defend, and rebound. Definitely AA potential.

Nothing would please me more than to see Morgan pile up 1,000+ minutes and cut down the nets at the end of her sophomore (!) season.
I got the impression that Morgan's problems were always related to that injury she sustained in high school that was never 100%. Nagging injuries somewhat suggests a variety of different injuries and I'm not sure if that has been the case. Maybe I'm mistaken but just my understanding. Does anyone know differently????

Reaction Score
If Morgan starts with Kiah and Stewie, then who comes off the bench to provide bench minutes at the inside positions?

Those three are the only ones suited to play the 4 and 5 positions (well, maybe KML could, but that would waste her major skill). That implies to me that only two of them will start, and that would be Kiah and Stewie.

I too think that Saniya will be the starting 2 guard on October 15. It is possible that one of the freshman will take that job from her, possibly before the first game, possibly later. Or not -- maybe she will show that she is the most qualified, the hardest worker, etc. But she knows the offense better than they do, or better than they probably will after only a month of full-team practice. For that reason alone, she has the inside track, i.e., it is her job to lose.
I'm not sure if I saw anything specifically that Saniya did last year that would give me the impression that she would be the starting 2 guard on Opening Day. I'd like to think that she would evolve and be an appreciably stronger and more confident player but the fact that she was used less and trusted less in the latter part of the season really doesn't espouse confidence in where she'll be when our exhibition games start. The thought that one of the freshmen guards would surpass her and win the job isn't an abhorrent one to me. These positions are not won by seniority but by performance on the court and I'm not ready to think she can overcome what I feel was somewhat of a regression in that regard. I had a lot of confidence in the player she would be entering last season, having read of her and seen some youtube type video clips but maybe the level of talent she was playing against in those clips distorted the reality of how good she is. Then too, confidence or a lack thereof can be crippling. Time will tell but I'm more optimistic we'll see one of the freshman earn that position at some point in the season, if not right away.

Reaction Score
She only played in 8 games last year at only 14.5 minutes a game... or to put it another way, she only played 1/10th of minutes the starters did that played in all 40 game. No way to tell how those per 40 stats hold up when you add 15 more minutes a game... and 30+ more games. Not sure how much consideration you can give those stats...
You've got to use what you got. In my mind, Tuck was a really well rounded player who was playing at less than 100% throughout her time in Storrs. Assuming she's completely healthy and is given time to get back into game shape, we're going to see a very impressive and talented kid whose going to be a major asset to this team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I saw anything specifically that Saniya did last year that would give me the impression that she would be the starting 2 guard on Opening Day. I'd like to think that she would evolve and be an appreciably stronger and more confident player but the fact that she was used less and trusted less in the latter part of the season really doesn't espouse confidence in where she'll be when our exhibition games start. The thought that one of the freshmen guards would surpass her and win the job isn't an abhorrent one to me. These positions are not won by seniority but by performance on the court and I'm not ready to think she can overcome what I feel was somewhat of a regression in that regard. I had a lot of confidence in the player she would be entering last season, having read of her and seen some youtube type video clips but maybe the level of talent she was playing against in those clips distorted the reality of how good she is. Then too, confidence or a lack thereof can be crippling. Time will tell but I'm more optimistic we'll see one of the freshman earn that position at some point in the season, if not right away.
having a year of experience (good or bad) puts her in a better position than any of the freshmen... she knows the "practice routine". of course this doesnt mean that a newbie couldnt come in and steal her shine (based on what Geno sees) but Chong has the upper hand IMO

Reaction Score
Yay!! Morgan "5 Championship" Tuck. Just call her "5C." :)

Stewie- the other guard is now totally neutralized. It would be a huge mismatch. KML Tuck and Kiah can guard the 3, 4, and 5.

Reaction Score
If Morgan's goal is to play in the W.N.B.A. after college, then if she's healthy, I would leave with a year of eligibility. I'm not saying she will, but why risk an injury if your goal is to play in the W.N.B.A. I know. The college experience is unique. I can't argue with that.

Nah, she needs to stay and work on her Masters.

Reaction Score
IMHO I think Geno will bring Morgan along slowly to build up her strength and stamina! She went through a very serious operation! Early on she'll play about 12-15 minutes. She'll come off the bench to sub for Kiah, or Stewie.
Remember it's not who starts that's important but who is in in crunch time!
Geno most likely will start the most experienced players early then as the new players get themselves integrated they'll play more & more!
PG MoJeff
SG Soniya
SF KML
PF Stewie
C Kiah
If everyone can remain injury/sickness free he'll be going much deeper into the bench than the last several years.
Agree, but I'm not sure if Chong can hold on to the starter position.

Reaction Score
Tuck, Stewie and Kiah up front, and they can post up anybody in the game. KML on the wing and Mo with the ball driving to the hole. If the D moves to help, one of the posts will be open for a chippie. Stewie can rotate to the 2 spot during the flow of play-drive to the hole as well has shoot 3's. Tuck can also rotate out to the wing and shoot 3's and KML can move to the front line looking to draw contact, like she did against ND in the Final 4 or take step back jumpers.

I never said it wouldn't work because of a talent situation on the floor at a given time [Mod edit.]

It would make no sense for any team to start it's only 3 legitimate low post players, leaving it's bench vacant of a post substitute, when there are multiple, viable options, even if those 3 post players are capable of a starting role. Moreover, the remaining bench doesn't even consist of a stretch 3, let alone a small 4, if Stokes, Stewart and Tuck comprise the starting rotation.

If there was a talent void, leaving the coaches with no options, that might be a different story, but this team is not faced with that issue, therefore, to willingly remove the option of the only post sub, in my opinion, make no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Agree, but I'm not sure if Chong can hold on to the starter position.

I agree... she didn't show me enough for me to even consider her to start this year.

sTu

Reaction Score
This is a year with so many variables that folks' prognostications have a reasonable chance of occurring. How long will it take for Morgan and Gabby to reach 90% effectiveness? How much improvement will Saniya make? Will Kiah be as productive playing 25 to 35 minutes a game? How much will the Frosh be able to contribute?

Beyond Stewart, KML, and Jefferson, whomever starts may not play as many minutes as someone off the bench. It is not who starts, but who is on the court at crunch time (if there is any :)) that matters.

Some combinations have me particularly excited. Stewart, KML, and Ekmark . Jefferson and Nurse.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stewie- the other guard is now totally neutralized. It would be a huge mismatch. KML Tuck and Kiah can guard the 3, 4, and 5.
So you are going to take a 6-4 shot blocker/rebounder away from the basket, and put her out on the perimeter against a much quicker guard where she can get exploited. Yea, that sounds like a real good idea. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom