Mitch Buonaguro out at Siena | The Boneyard

Mitch Buonaguro out at Siena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a week late posting this, but I hadn't even realized Mitch was still coaching. For you relative newbies out there, Buonaguro was one of the three finalists to replace Dom Perno. Talk about the road not taken.

The other guy was the CT native and then Milwaukee Bucks scout......what was his name?

Reaction Score
Buonaguro was Rolly's assistant, at Nova, when they won the NC. He then went to Fairfield where he had an outstanding 1st season there. At that time Perno was forced out and Mitch, was one of 3 finalists. Nick Macarchuck, at Canasius, then, was the 3rd finalist.
Fortunately, Toner chose JC. Buonoguro's career went quickly downhill after that. I know he followed Rolly around from UNLV to some small school.
I didn't realize he was at Siena. Time for a new career for him.

Reaction Score
He ran Siena into the ground. His in game coaching was baffling and his post-game aura always made me think of Mr. Magoo. Nice guy and good assistant, just not the right fit to be a head man. There is no crime in that at all, the fault lies with Siena administration for not being able to see that from the jump. That program has that history though, Mike Deane, Hewitt and McCaffery all good coaches at Siena, coaching duds between all of them. It's like a yo-yo between good coaches up there.

Reaction Score
He was my pick.

I remember being bummed that we got stuck with Calhoun.
Mine too, in our defense we had no idea that UConn could actually be good. Logic was just be being associated with a National Championship we could at least get UConn on the radar screen then build from there.

Also I'm certain if we'd been interviewing Calhoun would have shifted that paradigm immediately and been the beyond obvious pick.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He ran Siena into the ground. His in game coaching was baffling and his post-game aura always made me think of Mr. Magoo. Nice guy and good assistant, just not the right fit to be a head man. There is no crime in that at all, the fault lies with Siena administration for not being able to see that from the jump. That program has that history though, Mike Deane, Hewitt and McCaffery all good coaches at Siena, coaching duds between all of them. It's like a yo-yo between good coaches up there.

They've had two really bad coaches - Rob Lanier and Buonaguro.

Siena developed a complex earlier in the decade when they lost Hewitt to Georgia Tech, Orr to Seton Hall after just one season and then Lanier failed - they were tired of hiring young coaches who would either succeed and bolt or just fail outright.

So they decided they would hire older guys who would be 'lifers'. Worked out well for McCaffery, not so well with Buonaguro.

It's just hard to run a lower-middle major and have sustained success - I'm a Marist season ticket holder and I still haven't forgiven them for shoving out Dave Magarity.

Reaction Score
They've had two really bad coaches - Rob Lanier and Buonaguro.

Siena developed a complex earlier in the decade when they lost Hewitt to Georgia Tech, Orr to Seton Hall after just one season and then Lanier failed - they were tired of hiring young coaches who would either succeed and bolt or just fail outright.

So they decided they would hire older guys who would be 'lifers'. Worked out well for McCaffery, not so well with Buonaguro.

It's just hard to run a lower-middle major and have sustained success - I'm a Marist season ticket holder and I still haven't forgiven them for shoving out Dave Magarity.

Goodness there was a guy, Bob Beaver or Byer or something like that after Deane left that was horrible so he's got to be in the Lanier, Buonaguro. Louis Orr was the one guy that might have done something there is won 20 game his only year I think. It's difficult, just not impossible to have success at that level. I remember when Siena was a big rival of Northeastern when Calhoun was coaching there. Met in the play-offs in 85 IIRC

Reaction Score
I don't know if he was a finalist but George Karl applied for the job and he was my choice. The guy they eventually hired did a decent job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom