Mississippi State PostgameNews Conference [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Mississippi State PostgameNews Conference [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was at the game and agree with the coaches assessment. Mississippi State missed some early open outside looks, rushed inside shots because of Stewart's presence, and then started fumbling the ball around due to UCONN's pressure.
It looked like they stopped competing, though, with about 5 minutes left to go in the 2nd quarter. That's probably his biggest disappointment.

Reaction Score
Given all the UConn love and the incredibly gracious words of Coach Schaefer, his Presser should be mandatory viewing for any and every high school recruit who is counting UConn amongst her scholarship offers....if the recruit really wants to actualize her fullest basketball potential then there exists only one university, only one program, only one coaching staff and only one family of teammates where and with whom that can and will happen....other programs can talk about what it would be like but only UConn can talk about what it is like.....thank you to Geno, CD & his outstanding staff for warming our New England winters....

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Lol "they're like piranhas on a roast."
Rebecca in the studio quizzically said something about this, along the lines of "I'm still thinking about piranhas on a roast… I've never seen a roast in water, I've never seen a piranha out of water…" :D

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Given all the UConn love and the incredibly gracious words of Coach Schaefer, his Presser should be mandatory viewing for any and every high school recruit who is counting UConn amongst her scholarship offers

I was watching thinking exactly the same thing. He must have said 4-5 times Geno and Co. get everything out of their players.

He practically said this team could compete for the WNBA Championship, but he caught himself.

The Wizard of Westwood, the Sorcerer of Storrs.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The more I listen to Geno, the more I believe that he is a gentleman, a concerned curator of his sport, a compassionate mentor, and the kind of guy I'd like to go bass fishing with. The sometimes-offered image of Geno as some kind of dictatorial boor is hogwash. And yes, I've heard him "address" his players at practice. Still, I would love to have had a teacher of his skill, energy and resolve.

Come to think of it, I did.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Given all the UConn love and the incredibly gracious words of Coach Schaefer, his Presser should be mandatory viewing for any and every high school recruit who is counting UConn amongst her scholarship offers....if the recruit really wants to actualize her fullest basketball potential then there exists only one university, only one program, only one coaching staff and only one family of teammates where and with whom that can and will happen....other programs can talk about what it would be like but only UConn can talk about what it is like.....thank you to Geno, CD & his outstanding staff for warming our New England winters....
"But again, I think what separates them is: there's lots of great teams across the country that have a lot of all-Americans. Coach Auriemma gets the most out of his. He doesn't let them settle. He develops them to the fullest, and that team is developed to the fullest."

Well said and, I agree, incredibly gracious. I come away with a lot of respect for Coach Schaefer.

Reaction Score
He took responsibility. To what happened in the game. Didn't throw any players under the bus. Talked about future expectations and was extremely complimentary to UConn. Hard not to appreciate how he approached this painful experience.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Should be a recruiting tool for UConn...

"Today I felt like I was playing a WNBA team"

"One of the elite teams of all time?"

"No question!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Geno:

"We're pretty hard on our kids. In the middle of January, in the middle of nowhere, and we're playing a game that everybody thinks is meaningless - we're pretty hard on 'em. We demand certain things. And then when you get to this time of the year, hopefully, they don't know any other way of playing."

"So... when we started out playing the way we did today.....

[chokes up a little bit] Whew.... I was taken aback myself..."

"I even told them during a timeout (and I NEVER do this), I told them, 'Man... whew... you guys are really good!' (Now, the timeouts on Monday might be really different)."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

rut ruh, I hope nobody complains to the NCAA about this video (or post)

they might call it some sort of recruiting violation

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Vic is indeed good people. I was curious to see how the "defensive coordinator" for a NC-winning program would fare running his own show, and he's done well for himself and his kids who play for him.

I was confident the team that won between Miss State and Meat-chicken State were cannon fodder/ lambs to the slaughter, and Vic knew it as well. He still took his trip to the posterior of the woodshed graciously and, ironically, like a man. Congrats to him for making the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
I agree that Vic was the consummate gentleman and really nailed what Geno and the staff have done over the years and what they've gotten out of their players. What I also liked was how well the girls handled themselves, their pose and their acumen in explaining what they expect of themselves and how they maintain their focus. Morgan and Stewie are so totally focused and articulate and KLS did well, as well. Vic's comments were (are) a recruiting tool that potential recruits should be aware of. He makes good players great and great players, even greater. Maximizes their potential as few programs or coaches do.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I like his attitude of saying in effect 'we have made good strides as a program, and I think we have sort of figured out this SEC thing - but now, as a program and as basketball players we have gotten a glimpse of a different level to which we can aspire, and that is our new goal. We have expanded our horizon.' It is something that you don't often hear and a credit to him that he is willing to put it out there as a challenge for his players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom