OT: - Mir McLean to Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Mir McLean to Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I still don’t get how Brenda missed Mir, whose high schooll was less than 40 miles from College Park. It’s not like Baltimore isn’t laden with basketball talent, so I’m sure Brenda spent quite a bit of time poring over footage of Mir.

There was a time when Brenda was all about rebounding. Mir (and Saylor, 60 miles from College Park) will give Maryland that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. When she didn't attempt a return this past season (to preserve the redshirt season), I kinda knew what was up. Maryland just had its worst basketball season in decades--and it still didn't matter.

She'll do well in the B1G.
She was never approved by the medical staff to play. She was able to practice with some limitations.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I agree. When she didn't attempt a return this past season (to preserve the redshirt season), I kinda knew what was up. Maryland just had its worst basketball season in decades--and it still didn't matter.

She'll do well in the B1G.
What didn't matter to whom?

Mir is a lot like Aubrey, very athletic and great rebounder that can really disrupt a game. In limited games at UVA she averaged 12 and 10 with only 25 min a game.

With 2 years left to play, Mir can still make a big impact if healthy.

Reaction Score
I’m very sorry that she left UVA for MD. That says to me it’s not an academic decision… it’s a basketball decision. I really want coach Mox to succeed. Not sure what this says about the likelihood of that.

She’s a grad student so that’s not necessarily true

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You nailed it...UConn historically has been half pregnant on football. After missing the boat when it was easier to get into a strong football conference UConn has gone back and forth between investing in football with goal of eventual payout in a big league, and deemphasizing it in reference to complaining taxpayers.

With Jim Mora in place now pendulum has swung back to investing. With the new concept of a national conference with teams in all time zones to offer a full day of tv football, the big 12 is a logical spot for UConn. Preferred option would be acc for academics and that's an option if Clemson and Florida State leave. Boston College always opposed having UConn in acc, but that might be over.
So explain to me, exactly, how UConn "demphasized football in reference to complaining taxpayers".

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
So explain to me, exactly, how UConn "demphasized football in reference to complaining taxpayers".
Should have been in 'deference.' I believe the general public is opposed to the UConn athletic department running a deficit. I often see this in the press when budgets discussed, or football coach salary.

Going back to the old Yankee Conference, Big East football, the AAC, and now independent. There's been many moves to invest in football, and then it pulls back.

Generally the way it's been in whole Northeast: UMass, Army, Navy, Rutgers, NY- no real state school.

It was shocking what Schiano pulled off at Rutgers, allowing them to sneak into Big10.

If a school does manage to get into a big conference, suddenly the financials improve dramatically with football TV money.

While northeastern schools were wavering, other colleges came from nowhere Boise St., Central Florida, TCU, Cincinnati or back from the dead SMU, Houston to get into the football picture.

CL82

Reaction Score
Should have been in 'deference.' I believe the general public is opposed to the UConn athletic department running a deficit. I often see this in the press when budgets discussed, or football coach salary.

Going back to the old Yankee Conference, Big East football, the AAC, and now independent. There's been many moves to invest in football, and then it pulls back.

Generally the way it's been in whole Northeast: UMass, Army, Navy, Rutgers, NY- no real state school.

It was shocking what Schiano pulled off at Rutgers, allowing them to sneak into Big10.

If a school does manage to get into a big conference, suddenly the financials improve dramatically with football TV money.

While northeastern schools were wavering, other colleges came from nowhere Boise St., Central Florida, TCU, Cincinnati or back from the dead SMU, Houston to get into the football picture.
So what actions do you believe were the university emphasizing football in reference to taxpayer concerns?

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
So what actions do you believe were the university emphasizing football in reference to taxpayer concerns?
Sorry, fans and athletic department would like to invest in football and achieve a spot in a power conference. Taxpayers would prefer to eliminate football and run a positive budget in athletic department.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sorry, fans and athletic department would like to invest in football and achieve a spot in a power conference. Taxpayers would prefer to eliminate football and run a positive budget in athletic department.
So you still haven't mentioned this specific actions to support that statement. Saying it over again doesn't do that.

So again what specific actions do you believe the university took to the emphasize football? How did they change back-and-forth? What evidence do you have of taxpayer opposition?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Mir is a lot like Aubrey, very athletic and great rebounder that can really disrupt a game. In limited games at UVA she averaged 12 and 10 with only 25 min a game.

With 2 years left to play, Mir can still make a big impact if healthy.
I am glad she has two seasons to play

Reaction Score
So you still haven't mentioned this specific actions to support that statement. Saying it over again doesn't do that.

So again what specific actions do you believe the university took to the emphasize football? How did they change back-and-forth? What evidence do you have of taxpayer opposition?
I think the total budget for the football staff has not changed in 10 years. That fact alone tells you that the university is not willing to spend what is needed for football.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think the total budget for the football staff has not changed in 10 years. That fact alone tells you that the university is not willing to spend what is needed for football.
Arguably, but that's not the periodic increases and reductions the other poster alleged.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
Maryland's lackluster record (which was the worst it's been since Brenda's second year there) did not seem to matter to Mir. She chose to go to a team that had experienced a significant drop-off from the previous season rather than stick it out with a program that some say is on the rise. Maryland only had three more wins than UVA this past season, but Mir was willing to take a chance on them getting better than gamble on UVA getting better. Looking at what Maryland's done portal-wise versus what UVA has done, it seems like the right decision was made. We shall see, though.

Reaction Score
Maryland's lackluster record (which was the worst it's been since Brenda's second year there) did not seem to matter to Mir. She chose to go to a team that had experienced a significant drop-off from the previous season rather than stick it out with a program that some say is on the rise. Maryland only had three more wins than UVA this past season, but Mir was willing to take a chance on them getting better than gamble on UVA getting better. Looking at what Maryland's done portal-wise versus what UVA has done, it seems like the right decision was made. We shall see, though.

You are assuming it's all about basketball. It may be about education. She is a grad student. Maybe UVA doesn't have her program.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
You are assuming it's all about basketball. It may be about education. She is a grad student. Maybe UVA doesn't have her program.
Well yeah. There could be other factors involved. It's never a purely basketball decision no matter when the transfer takes place.

But let me ask you this. If Boston College or Missouri had Mir's program, what are the chances that she'd have chosen to transfer to one of those programs?

Reaction Score
You nailed it...UConn historically has been half pregnant on football. After missing the boat when it was easier to get into a strong football conference UConn has gone back and forth between investing in football with goal of eventual payout in a big league, and deemphasizing it in reference to complaining taxpayers.

With Jim Mora in place now pendulum has swung back to investing. With the new concept of a national conference with teams in all time zones to offer a full day of tv football, the big 12 is a logical spot for UConn. Preferred option would be acc for academics and that's an option if Clemson and Florida State leave. Boston College always opposed having UConn in acc, but that might be over.
It was never "easier" to get into a strong football conference, especially one that satisfied the rest of our sports needs. You make it sound like it was totally our fault. We had a lot to offer, and still do. When we were in a power conference for football we did step up.

Reaction Score
Well yeah. There could be other factors involved. It's never a purely basketball decision no matter when the transfer takes place.

But let me ask you this. If Boston College or Missouri had Mir's program, what are the chances that she'd have chosen to transfer to one of those programs?

Probably none. But my point is, we don't know that she left UVA for basketball reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom