Mike Aresco New Interview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco New Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn is not a top 25 TV draw in FB. And that is where it all matters.
False. Not to get into another discussion about this but Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland, Cuse etc... are not top 25 draws either. There is clearly more to it than how your FB team does in the TV ratings.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for the AAC, what it deserves has nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
He may have glossed over the basketball championships, but your proposed fix suggests that Aresco give UConn and Connecticut 8 1/2 times more exposure (I counted. From the open quote to "tournament," is 85 words. From "and" to "game" is 10.) than the state where the interview took place and in a sport where the two conference schools in that state are really not very good...and with no real prospects to be so. Given the location, topic at hand, and that which drives the topic at hand, Aresco's comments were fairly appropriate, IMO.

It's funny. Other schools and conferences never stop preaching their core message. Some people here think it doesn't matter, well it does, especially in Florida. We want Floridians to take the conference seriously, we want them to know the strengths of the conference. UConn is a strength so tout it. Change conference perception whenever and wherever possible.

I'd rather Aresco tout UConn and the AAC in Florida or Texas. Doing it on WTIC won't do jack for national perception. You have dual national champs and a great bowl win, remind people EVERY time you get behind a microphone. Most people don't even know what conference we are in anymore. That was an 18 minute interview, he had plenty of time to talk UConn for 1 minute. He can't ever stop beating that drum if people are going to respect the conference at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guys, we have to earn our stripes. Just like the powerhouse legendary programs at Wake Forrest, Duke, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Arizona, Arizona State, Washington State, Oregon State, Utah, Cal, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kentucky, UNC, Syracuse, Boston College, NC State, etc have ALL done over the 1,000 years of playing D-1 football.

The good news is that we apparently just have to play football for a a few more years. The earned stripes bylines say nothing about winning.

The better news is that we will also get to enjoy, with the exception of UK, Duke, UNC and maybe Kansas, ALL of these schools dominate the NCAA Tourney too. UCONN's AD doesn't stand a chance in comparison with these athletic department heavyweights.
I know that you don't like when I say this, but I feel that our AD and President failed us at a critical time. All of those schools, winners or loses on the field, have won the battle for inclusion, and most not deservedly.

Reaction Score
dayooper said:
Any team/player who is afraid of the name on the front of a jersey shouldn't be playing the game at that level.

Lol. In all my years competing in sports, I never played anyone good that didn't scare me. Fear drives me in everything I do. Fear of losing, fear of being poor, fear of being embarrassed etc.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Lol. In all my years competing in sports, I never played anyone good that didn't scare me. Fear drives me in everything I do. Fear of losing, fear of being poor, fear of being embarrassed etc.

I believe those games with big name teams/players are the ones you relish. I got up for those games more than any other. I know I only played DII football, but when we got the opportunity to play the big boys of our conference (at the time, Ferris State), I loved every minute of that. I looked back at the few players I played against that made it in the NFL and it was one of the highlights of my career.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's funny. Other schools and conferences never stop preaching their core message. Some people here think it doesn't matter, well it does, especially in Florida. We want Floridians to take the conference seriously, we want them to know the strengths of the conference. UConn is a strength so tout it. Change conference perception whenever and wherever possible.

I'd rather Aresco tout UConn and the AAC in Florida or Texas. Doing it on WTIC won't do for national perception. You have dual national champs and a great bowl win, remind people EVERY time you get behind a microphone. Most people don't even know what conference we are in anymore. That was an 18 minute interview, he had plenty of time to talk UConn for 1 minute. He can't ever stop beating that drum if people are going to respect the conference at all.
So you think Jim Delany is in the habit of going a radio show just outside of Urbana and talks about Tom Izzo? Other schools and conferences preach to their audience. The Tuck and O'Neill show is on a sports talk station in Orlando, Florida. They are interested in ratings and a state flagship university in southern New England does not draw ratings in the greater Orlando metropolitan market.

He mentioned the two Basketball Nationals titles as a strength for the conference, but in case you missed the umpteen people saying it here as well as nationally, football drives the CR bus and UCF has a pretty darned good team right now, who recently ate a Big Twelve team's lunch for them. Is that not a conference strength?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The fresh new ideas presented here are really enlightening. I love CR talk as much as anybody, but this must be the 100th thread where we rehashed the same arguments. Give it a rest. Enjoy the summer. Drink some great beer. Get ready for UConn vs BYU and to see what kind of hoops team we have.

Reaction Score
Uconn is not a top 25 TV draw in FB. And that is where it all matters.
We are top 50. We shouldn't have an issue going forward. The lack of vision gets so old.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Yeah, but not after Tully Blanchard replaced Ole Anderson. Styling and profiling.
Great NWA reference. Old school wrasslin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom