Mike Aresco New Interview | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco New Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like mike Aresco, mostly because he's not john marinatto. Aresco is articulate and doesn't embarrass the schools he represents unlike the other guy every time he opened his pie hole. He has an impossible job trying to become a p6, but at least he tries. He is hoping for stability of conferences, which as UConn fans isn't in our best interest. I wish him all the best in his efforts while I hope to hell we can get the out.

Reaction Score
I like mike Aresco, mostly because he's not john marinatto. Aresco is articulate and doesn't embarrass the schools he represents unlike the other guy every time he opened his pie hole. He has an impossible job trying to become a p6, but at least he tries. He is hoping for stability of conferences, which as UConn fans isn't in our best interest. I wish him all the best in his efforts while I hope to hell we can get the out.
If you read the lips of Warde (I'm done with CR), Geno (No conference is coming calling) and the B1G commish (AAU is required), UConn isn't going anywhere for a long long time, if ever. So hope that Mr. Aresco can work a miracle for the AAC.
I hope to hell we can get out, but I don't see any tangible evidence of anything happening. Our AD said that he is done with CR, our women's basketball coach said that no conferences are coming calling, the commissioner of the conference that we would most like to join said we don't have the metrics (AAU membership for one), so it does indeed appear at this time that the AAC will be the home of UConn for the foreseeable future. I hope that Mr. Aresco can pull a rabbit out of his hat, but it is nearly an impossible task. He is certainly a lot better than any of the previous BE commissioners whose lack of foresight led to the demise of what could have been a great conference.

Reaction Score
We've been at the big boy table for far shorter a time period than ANY school in the P5 and most schools in the AAC. Yet, we feel so entitled. Any other Yankee Conference schools have the same fortune we've had? Everyone has us pegged as the most likely to be taken in next by an eastern P5 conference. But yet, whining continues.

Fishy, please ban me from this board? Please??

Reaction Score
@buddy I agree with everything you said. Except it would be more like pulling a rabbit out of his .

@Butch, the only one whining is you about people whining. Consider changing the one vowel in your name to an "I". I don't normally get annoyed on the board but your post annoys me. Your conveniently leaving out the fact that the big east practically begged UConn and villanova to upgrade, but only UConn/CT did so only to in the end have it stuck up the old wazoo by both the football and basketball schools. Its great that that they've been playing football longer, but as a UConn fan I could give rat's ass about that. The only school in next years conference with any relevant history that I remember is Houston. Do I give a flying bleep what Tulane once did as a member of the SEC? NOPE.

Reaction Score
Congrats. You b*tched more than me.

Welcome to having to earn our stripes with time. It's how it works. I am sorry that is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Reaction Score
In that case, let's save ourselves the trouble and shut it down. Everyone but ucf and USF has been at "it" longer.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with bitching because we receive ~$18M less per year in conference revenue yet win more than countless other schools? You do realize that the combination of low yearly revenue and the accustom of building winning teams do not have strong futures together? Entitled? duck yes.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Congrats. You b*tched more than me.

Welcome to having to earn our stripes with time. It's how it works. I am sorry that is such a difficult concept to grasp.
We earned our stripes and then we were demoted for no reason! Then we watch as less qualified schools get the tap on the shoulder. That SHOULD piss people off. So pardon if that leads to some btching. Nice Yankee conference mentality. Keep living in the past.

Reaction Score
Guys understand, the three horsemen didn't play at UConn. Red Grange didn't either. Therefore, despite massive investments to join a bcs conference, were now not worthy. I seriously doubt the state ponies up the cash to make the jump to the MAC. YES I think this conference is better than the other G5 conferences, but that really doesn't mean much when your lumped with them with every breath.

I don't look down at the schools in our conference. If it ever gets decent TV money it has potential. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer UConn to be on the other side of the great divide. I still don't get where anything in my first post was bitching but whatever.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
noeynox said:
Guys understand, the three horsemen didn't play at UConn. Red Grange didn't either. Therefore, despite massive investments to join a bcs conference, were now not worthy. I seriously doubt the state ponies up the cash to make the jump to the MAC. YES I think this conference is better than the other G5 conferences, but that really doesn't mean much when your lumped with them with every breath.

I don't look down at the schools in our conference. If it ever gets decent TV money it has potential. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer UConn to be on the other side of the great divide. I still don't get where anything in my first post was bitching but whatever.

UCONN is a top 50 university, a top 20 public university, a top 20 Athletic Department, a top 25 TV draw, 50 FB program and a top 5 BB program. Who cares where Red Grange played a century ago.

And there were four horsemen.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but not after Tully Blanchard replaced Ole Anderson. Styling and profiling.

Reaction Score
The AAC is handcuffed in its attempts to be considered "P6".
1. Whereas the Big East had a BCS Bowl affiliation, The AAC was deemed unworthy. The individual "BCS Bowls", with the assistance of ESPN drew up long term contracts with "P5" conferences. Some of the Big East-AAC former affiliated bowls with cache followed suit (eg. Yankee-Pin Stripe).
2. At television Contract renewal negotiation time, The Big East-AAC was blindsided by the Pitt-Fruit defections after deciding to go to open market. Then NBC-Universal lowballs the conference resulting in ESPN getting tv rights on the cheap.

Mike Aresco is putting up a good front, saying all the right things, but without financial resources that are available to the "P5", this "P6" talk looks like a house of cards directly in the path of a category 5 hurricane.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The AAC is handcuffed in its attempts to be considered "P6".
1. Whereas the Big East had a BCS Bowl affiliation, The AAC was deemed unworthy. The individual "BCS Bowls", with the assistance of ESPN drew up long term contracts with "P5" conferences. Some of the Big East-AAC former affiliated bowls with cache followed suit (eg. Yankee-Pin Stripe).
2. At television Contract renewal negotiation time, The Big East-AAC was blindsided by the Pitt-Fruit defections after deciding to go to open market. Then NBC-Universal lowballs the conference resulting in ESPN getting tv rights on the cheap.

Mike Aresco is putting up a good front, saying all the right things, but without financial resources that are available to the "P5", this "P6" talk looks like a house of cards directly in the path of a category 5 hurricane.

i guess it really depends on how you coin the term. I think his point is that we have national championships in mens and womens basketball and our league champion beat (convincingly really) the Big 12 league champion in a BCS bowl that was essentially a home game for the Big 12. We're well aware of the past and what happened, I just think its time to look forward and take an optimistic positive view on things and see where it takes us. We've seen where being negative gets us.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I like Aresco well enough...but it still feels like he failed at the main thing he was hired to do. Supposedly his insight on media was going to help position the league to get a decent or at least, a creative TV deal. It doesn't feel like it worked out that way. I know that the BE was imploding right when he took over...but it still felt like something else could have been done other than just accepting a lowball NBC deal that was quickly and happily accepted by ESPN. They always say a good negotiation ends with both sides unhappy....I think only the AAC was unhappy on this deal.

Hopefully his long term strategy is more effective.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
I like Aresco well enough...but it still feels like he failed at the main thing he was hired to do. Supposedly his insight on media was going to help position the league to get a decent or at least, a creative TV deal. It doesn't feel like it worked out that way. I know that the BE was imploding right when he took over...but it still felt like something else could have been done other than just accepting a lowball NBC deal that was quickly and happily accepted by ESPN. They always say a good negotiation ends with both sides unhappy....I think only the AAC was unhappy on this deal.

Hopefully his long term strategy is more effective.

Yes, I question taking a 6 year deal when he could have taken 4 or 5. The league was unstable at the time and unproven; and hampered by ESPN's right of first refusal. Any second contract would produce a better deal. He should have tried to get there quickly. Asking for the longer deal indicates Aresco himself was unconfident the league would prove its worth. Tough when the guy negotiating for you doesn't believe in the product he's selling.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Guys, we have to earn our stripes. Just like the powerhouse legendary programs at Wake Forrest, Duke, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Arizona, Arizona State, Washington State, Oregon State, Utah, Cal, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kentucky, UNC, Syracuse, Boston College, NC State, etc have ALL done over the 1,000 years of playing D-1 football.

The good news is that we apparently just have to play football for a a few more years. The earned stripes bylines say nothing about winning.

The better news is that we will also get to enjoy, with the exception of UK, Duke, UNC and maybe Kansas, ALL of these schools dominate the NCAA Tourney too. UCONN's AD doesn't stand a chance in comparison with these athletic department heavyweights.

Reaction Score
Notice he said UCF by name, but we win two NC in Men's & Womean ( did he forget it was UCONN) next time mention us by NAME!!!!

Aresco was very proud of UCF on and off the field performance at the Fiesta Bowl and how it helped the AAC brand with the win over Baylor.
Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/mikearescotalksncaaissues/#h1i6xQUQ52ZBPWMZ.99

How do you that to us when we win two national championships in Men’s and Women’s Basketball.”
Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/mikearescotalksncaaissues/#h1i6xQUQ52ZBPWMZ.99

Reaction Score
We earned our stripes and then we were demoted for no reason! Then we watch as less qualified schools get the tap on the shoulder. That SHOULD piss people off. So pardon if that leads to some btching. Nice Yankee conference mentality. Keep living in the past.
Again, it's not me. It's fans of other schools. Let us continue whining.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Notice he said UCF by name, but we win two NC in Men's & Womean ( did he forget it was UCONN) next time mention us by NAME!!!!

Aresco was very proud of UCF on and off the field performance at the Fiesta Bowl and how it helped the AAC brand with the win over Baylor.

How do you that to us when we win two national championships in Men’s and Women’s Basketball.”
Look at the web address. This was an interview with a Florida station about football.

Reaction Score
DDaileyuconn said:
Notice he said UCF by name, but we win two NC in Men's & Womean ( did he forget it was UCONN) next time mention us by NAME!!!! Aresco was very proud of UCF on and off the field performance at the Fiesta Bowl and how it helped the AAC brand with the win over Baylor. Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/mikearescotalksncaaissues/#h1i6xQUQ52ZBPWMZ.99 How do you that to us when we win two national championships in Men’s and Women’s Basketball.” Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/mikearescotalksncaaissues/#h1i6xQUQ52ZBPWMZ.99

He sort of did. He said something like "we won two national titles in basketball blah blah, and UConn had to beat 5 favored teams to do it."

I didn't like that way of mentioning us. I feel like UConn is never an underdog in the NCAA tournament anymore. The name on the front of that jersey should scare the hell out of everyone. He should have used us as an example of the media and P5 trying to pretend the AAC is inferior when it isn't. Something like, "UConn was under seeded at #7. They should have been a higher seed with their resume and they would have been if they were in one of the supposed P5 conferences. In the end, they struggled with a tough St. Joe's team in the first round then pretty much controlled the entire tournament from then on with the exception of the first 5 minutes of the Florida game. It was a dominating performance. And again that goes along the the UConn women dominating their tournament and UCF very convincingly handling Baylor in their bowl game".

It isn't hard to beat the drum properly. He should have all this stuff very well rehearsed and try to get the non bias media to run with it and shine a light on it. He won't stoke that fire in hungry journalists if he doesn't make a compelling case that peaks their interest.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
Look at the web address. This was an interview with a Florida station about football.

Very important to convey our message in Florida. Perception is everything. He needs to educate people as to the AAC's successes.

Reaction Score
UCONN is a top 50 university, a top 20 public university, a top 20 Athletic Department, a top 25 TV draw, 50 FB program and a top 5 BB program. Who cares where Red Grange played a century ago.

And there were four horsemen.
Uconn is not a top 25 TV draw in FB. And that is where it all matters.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
He sort of did. He said something like "we won two national titles in basketball blah blah, and UConn had to beat 5 favored teams to do it."

I didn't like that way of mentioning us. I feel like UConn is never an underdog in the NCAA tournament anymore. The name on the front of that jersey should scare the hell out of everyone. He should have used us as an example of the media and P5 trying to pretend the AAC is inferior when it isn't. Something like, "UConn was under seeded at #7. They should have been a higher seed with their resume and they would have been if they were in one of the supposed P5 conferences. In the end, they struggled with a tough St. Joe's team in the first round then pretty much controlled the entire tournament from then on with the exception of the first 5 minutes of the Florida game. It was a dominating performance. And again that goes along the the UConn women dominating their tournament and UCF very convincingly handling Baylor in their bowl game".

It isn't hard to beat the drum properly. He should have all this stuff very well rehearsed and try to get the non bias media to run with it and shine a light on it. He won't stoke that fire in hungry journalists if he doesn't make a compelling case that peaks their interest.

Any team/player who is afraid of the name on the front of a jersey shouldn't be playing the game at that level.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He sort of did. He said something like "we won two national titles in basketball blah blah, and UConn had to beat 5 favored teams to do it." ...

...Something like, "UConn was under seeded at #7. They should have been a higher seed with their resume and they would have been if they were in one of the supposed P5 conferences. In the end, they struggled with a tough St. Joe's team in the first round then pretty much controlled the entire tournament from then on with the exception of the first 5 minutes of the Florida game. It was a dominating performance. And again that goes along the the UConn women dominating their tournament and UCF very convincingly handling Baylor in their bowl game".
Very important to convey our message in Florida. Perception is everything. He needs to educate people as to the AAC's successes.

He may have glossed over the basketball championships, but your proposed fix suggests that Aresco give UConn and Connecticut 8 1/2 times more exposure (I counted. From the open quote to "tournament," is 85 words. From "and" to "game" is 10.) than the state where the interview took place and in a sport where the two conference schools in that state are really not very good...and with no real prospects to be so.

Given the location, topic at hand, and that which drives the topic at hand, Aresco's comments were fairly appropriate, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99