Mikayla Venson Leaving Virginia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Venson Leaving Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I find it interesting in how regional variations in recruiting can really derail coaches. TX isn't Duke, but it casts a huge shadow over the southwest and has an excellent reputation in general as well as money to burn, but GG was a fish out of water in the very rich local recruiting area as well as reportedly clashing in the local community. Cal is to Stanford like UVA is to Duke - great academic reputation only overshadowed by a local pilar of academia, yet Boyle has also struggled to make use of what should be a strength. There are other examples, but like they say of stocks, past performance is no guarantee of future performance in a different market.

Reaction Score
Not a shocker, but disappointing in the sense that what we see on the men's side with transfers is coming into play on the women's side.

Seems like with each passing year the women's game picks up a few more bad habits from the men's side. Used to see quite a few players give an opponent a hand, especially if they were the one who knocked them down - don't see it happening much anymore. The posturing before, during and after games didn't used to happen which segues into the much more physical aspect of todays game....but I digress.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Seems like with each passing year the women's game picks up a few more bad habits from the men's side. Used to see quite a few players give an opponent a hand, especially if they were the one who knocked them down - don't see it happening much anymore. The posturing before, during and after games didn't used to happen which segues into the much more physical aspect of todays game....but I digress.

I disagree - I see plenty of sportsmanship... and if you think today's game is more physical, clearly you were not a fan of the Old Big East.

As for transferring? Meh - I think folks get a little precious about it. There are ebbs and flows...

If there's something going on in a program, would you rather players just suck it up and allow the "wrong" to continue or speak up and/or move on? If a coach has not created a community where that conversation can happen, that's on them and their assistants. Ditto if they and/or their assistants don't notice somethings askew. Or, if they'd sold a player a bill of goods... or if a player has sold THEM a bill of goods, better action be taken asap to make both parties happy. Choosing a school is different than choosing a school and being part of a basketball program.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm going to disagree here - I think what I see is a lot more teams being coached to have their players all rush to a down teammate and help them up - no idea if uconn is the model for this but it has been something they have done for as long as I can remember. Because of that, an opponent offering a hand is actually as often as not getting in the way of the players teammates and so I think that is more causal - just getting out of the way. I still see it most of the time when a situation occurs that was completely unintended, like the one that occurred in one of the conference games where Lou? Kia? stumbled and just plowed over an opponent.

And on the posturing - been around for a very long time - check out Shea on her back fist pumping after a big play against TN or DT doing anything on the court but specifically 'shirt popping' which was legislated out shortly after her graduation, or Tina 'beast mode' celebration after drawing an 'and one' or making a monster block. They also added a technical for jawing at an opponent. I think what you may be noticing is based on much wider viewing options for teams other than Uconn, which has always with a few exception been much more business like, especially in regular season games. Being the king means there are fewer moments in games and fewer games that have the edge where emotion really overflows in exuberance about a single play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom