G-Shoni Schimmel-Louisville
G-Bria Hartley-Connecticut

3rd Team:
C-Natalie Ochonwa, Notre Dame
C-Isabelle Harrison, Tennessee
G-Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina
G-Maggie Lucas, Penn State
G-Tiffany Bias, Oklahoma State

I had a really hard time leaving Moriah Jefferson off of a team....at this point I couldn't justify putting 4 players on the top 15 team, but Jefferson has had a great season and I wouldn't be surprised to see her on a team, especially if she ups her PPG to 12-13.

This is the first year in quite some time where the Player of the Year favorite wasn't obvious at this point in the year. Last 2 years we all knew it'd be Griner, previous 3 years you knew it'd be Moore (or Charles back in 2010), Parker was a heavy favorite in 2007 and 2008, Augustus in 2005 and 2006, etc. Stewart has been great but hasn't consistently dominated like previous players of the year, and Sims/Ogwumike are dominating on a nightly basis but are on good but not great teams. Stewart has great numbers, if she plays consistently the rest of the season I think it'll be hers to lose.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this, but would have to check some things.

On the first team, McBride or Hartley. I agree on the other 4. I think I have Chiney as POY as of today.

I'm not sure if I'd put Loyd that high or not. I'd have to check her stats and think about it. I'd move Schimmel down. I don't value volume shooters.

I don't know much about Mitchell or Bias.

Wait until KML gets going!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Liston should definitely make a few AA teams this year. Its gonna be real interesting to see who makes first team ACC

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about some of your guards - I would maybe replace Lucas with Moriah, but haven't watched enough PSU games to be sure.
I agree about the POY question but I suspect that Stewart if she continues as she is going may win out.
Stewart: PPG 18.7, RBs 8.0, Assts 3.0, TOs 1.6, Blocks 2.7, Steals 1.6 shooting .476, .362, .796 and fouls 1.9/gm in 29 minutes (21 games today included)
CO: PPG 26.9, RBs 12.2, Assts 1.6, TOs 2.3, Blocks 1.8, Steals 1.5 shooting .603, .286 (only 7 3s attempted), .713 and fouls 2.4 with two DQs in 32 minutes (19 games)
OS: PPG 31.1, RBs 4.4, Assists 4.4, TOs 2.3, Blocks 0.1, Steals 1.8 shooting .477, .443, .810 and fouls 2.1 with 1 DQ in 31.1 minutes (18 games - today not included)

At the moment Stewart is coming off a mini-slump in shooting but the last few games she has rediscovered her stroke. If she can raise her shooting percentages a bit her numbers will look better. At the same time Sims is in a bit of a slump percentage wise as the Baylor season has gotten into the meat of conference play. Chiney has been pretty stead throughout as far as i can see.
OS and CO are the go to players on their team so the scoring and rebounding is to be expected - Stewart has a more balanced team and the points and rebounds are pretty well distributed across the team - for example all five starters on Uconn average double figures points, three players average 7.5 rebounds or better, three players have 50+ blocks, and four players have 64 assists or more: Baylor 2 in double figures points, 2 above 7.5 Rbs/gm, zero 50 block players, and 2 with more than 60 assists: Stanford 1 in double figures points, 2 above 7 tbs, zero with 50 blocks and 2 with 60+ assists.

Stewart's all around game stands out - she is in the conversation with CO for rebounds and blocks and in the conversation with Sims for assists A/TO ratio, steals and three point shooting. Pretty unique.

I think the 'non-dominant' nature of this year may play to Stewart's advantage - CO is great but there is nothing 'special' in what she does - she just does it really well and racks up great numbers. Sims - same sort of thing especially with the recently well telecast struggles. Stewart - she is 'special' even if the numbers are not quite the same as the other two - there is no one who can do what she is doing in WCBB right now.
On the down side - the other two are seniors while Stewart should be around for a few more years.

Reaction Score
I think the 'non-dominant' nature of this year may play to Stewart's advantage - CO is great but there is nothing 'special' in what she does - she just does it really well and racks up great numbers. Sims - same sort of thing especially with the recently well telecast struggles. Stewart - she is 'special' even if the numbers are not quite the same as the other two - there is no one who can do what she is doing in WCBB right now.

I think the fact that both Sims and Chiney have to carry their teams makes what they're doing very special. In a way, Stewart can afford to take a night off because someone else can step up. Sims and Chiney know they have to perform every night in order for their teams to succeed.

I'm impressed with them on any given day, but it's especially impressive now that they are the focal points of their teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the fact that both Sims and Chiney have to carry their teams makes what they're doing very special. In a way, Stewart can afford to take a night off because someone else can step up. Sims and Chiney know they have to perform every night in order for their teams to succeed.

I'm impressed with them on any given day, but it's especially impressive now that they are the focal points of their teams.
I agree with this, but think it also cuts both ways - they are putting up great numbers because they have to and other teams will focus more on them, but they can also be 'selfish' without it being a negative within the team. I think that is especially true for Sims - in the last four games she has been 4-25, 13-37, 7-14, and 7-27. On almost any other team numbers like that would make practice a little tough as your teammates would be mildly annoyed. She is averaging 26 shots a game while shooting 30%. While they have to perform, they also don't have to defer.
I do think CO is in a different situation than OS - CO is not the distributor, cannot dominate the ball the way Sims can, and truthfully she has a better supporting cast and personally I think a better coach and a better offensive system to work with and in.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this, but would have to check some things.

On the first team, McBride or Hartley. I agree on the other 4. I think I have Chiney as POY as of today.

I'm not sure if I'd put Loyd that high or not. I'd have to check her stats and think about it. I'd move Schimmel down. I don't value volume shooters.

I don't know much about Mitchell or Bias.

Wait until KML gets going!

Loyd is averaging 17 points and 6 boards for an undefeated team. She shoots 51% from the field and hands out 2.5 assists (to just 1.5 turnovers.) Definitely All-American numbers if you ask me-I'm just curious if it'll be her or McBride on 1st team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Willie raises a good point. I think at least one team is selected by position, not just the top 5-10 players. I like Stef's chances that way.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Milford makes a good point. Who would the top 5 centers in the country be? I can think of Stef, Achonwa, and Isabelle Harrison as contenders. Who else? (I would consider Chiney a forward, although I suppose she plays center for Stanford this year.) I don't think Elizabeth Williams would be a contender, although I haven't checked her stats.

In a perfectly objective world (based on "per 40 minute" stats), Kiah might legitimately be on this list.

Reaction Score
I agree with this, but think it also cuts both ways - they are putting up great numbers because they have to and other teams will focus more on them, but they can also be 'selfish' without it being a negative within the team. I think that is especially true for Sims - in the last four games she has been 4-25, 13-37, 7-14, and 7-27. On almost any other team numbers like that would make practice a little tough as your teammates would be mildly annoyed. She is averaging 26 shots a game while shooting 30%. While they have to perform, they also don't have to defer.
I do think CO is in a different situation than OS - CO is not the distributor, cannot dominate the ball the way Sims can, and truthfully she has a better supporting cast and personally I think a better coach and a better offensive system to work with and in.

You seriously think that Kim is a better coach than Tara? I don't see that, at all.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
oops, sorry. went too fast.
Triad beat me to it - and NO I seriously do not think that.:cool: And I also seriously do not think Baylor has a better roster than Stanford.:rolleyes: And I seriously do not think the world is flat.:eek:And ... just to many things to list individually that I seriously do not think!:p
I am not trying to knock either OS or CO - they are both having fabulous years and providing their team and their coach with exactly what they need and want. I would not be in any way offended if either was voted to one or more of the NPOY awards. I do think this is a year where those awards could well be split 2 or 3 ways depending on each awards definition for NPOY and the quirks of their voters.

Reaction Score
Ogwumike of Stanford is ranking so high because of the poor PAC 12 conference. She is a 1 woman show...........If she gets hurt ,Stanford does not win another game..........Does she make anyone else better on Stanford? IMO, she is very gifted player, but does not get my vote. Lets see how far The Card goes this March? What if they moved them out of the west coast?...IS USC for real or will they give Stanford a tough time tonight?

Reaction Score
1st Team :
F- Chiney Ogumike- Stanford ( Best rebounder in country)
F- Breanna Stewart- Uconn ( Simply most talented player )
C- Stefanie Dolson - Uconn ( Has complete game, makes everyone better )
G- Kayla McBride- N.D. ( Scoring machine )
G- Bria Hartley- Uconn ( Playing as well as anyone, improved passer)

2nd Team :
F- Alyssa Thomas- Maryland
C- Natalie Ochonwa- N.D.
G- Odyssey Simms- Baylor
G- Jewell Loyd- N.D.
G- Shoni Schimmell- Louisville

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
First Team: Stewart, Sims, Thomas, Dolson, Chiney . Second Team: McBride, Loyd, Liston, Hartley, and either Harrison or Schimmel

Reaction Score
Ogwumike of Stanford is ranking so high because of the poor PAC 12 conference. She is a 1 woman show......If she gets hurt ,Stanford does not win another game.....Does she make anyone else better on Stanford? IMO, she is very gifted player, but does not get my vote. Lets see how far The Card goes this March? What if they moved them out of the west coast?...IS USC for real or will they give Stanford a tough time tonight?

You obviously are not either paying attention or have not watched Chiney and her team play.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Liston should definitely make a few AA teams this year. Its gonna be real interesting to see who makes first team ACC

Overall season... 18.4 ppg........ 5.7 rpg ......... 57.7% shooting percentage ... Shooting 50.4% on threes....

in conference play 20.1 ppg 5.9 rpg.... 2.4 apg ........... 60.9% shooting percentage 56.4% on threes.

Those FG % numbers would be great for a front court player.... they are outstanding for a shooting guard.

Yep... that sounds like a AA to me...... and making a strong case for ACC Player of the Year as well.

The only two games in which she didnt reach double figures in scoring were Albany and Boston College :eek:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Overall season... 18.4 ppg 5.7 rpg 57.7% shooting percentage ... Shooting 50.4% on threes....

in conference play 20.1 ppg 5.9 rpg 2.4 apg 60.9% shooting percentage 56.4% on threes.

Yep... that sounds like a AA to me. and making a strong case for ACC Player of the Year as well.

The only two games in which she didnt reach double figures in scoring were Albany and Boston College :eek:
Dang! You are answering your own posts now. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dang! You are answering your own posts now. ;)

A friend of mine asked me the other day if I ever talked to myself.. .. I told her.. no.. never .

I guess this counts.... ? Kinda ?? :p

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ogwumike of Stanford She is a 1 woman show......If she gets hurt ,Stanford does not win another game.....she is very gifted player
Sounds like an All-American, NPOY to me.

but does not get my vote.
Didn't realize you had one. Naismith? WBCA? Kodak All State? Wooden? AP?

Reaction Score
Here's my list:
1st Team:
F-Breanna Stewart-Connecticut (POY)
G-Odyssey Sims-Baylor
F/C-Chiney Ogwumike-Stanford
F-Alyssa Thomas-Maryland
G-Kayla McBride-Notre Dame

2nd Team:
G-Tricia Liston-Duke
F-Jewell Loyd-Notre Dame
C-Stefanie Dolson-Connecticut
G-Shoni Schimmel-Louisville
G-Bria Hartley-Connecticut

Agree with everything, except that I'd have Chiney as POY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom