Mid-America upsets | The Boneyard

Mid-America upsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top seed and 25th ranked (AP) Bowling Green was soundly beaten by Ball St. in the MAC semi's.
Second seeded Central Michigan was also soundly beaten by Akron in the other semi.

Creme had Bowling Green as the only MAC participant in the dance. Now that bid will go to the
Ball St./Akron winner. Will the committee still give a bid to Bowling Green (27-4, rpi 27, massey 30,
sagarin 42)?

If they do, that's bad news for USF and Rutgers, whose hopes were slim to begin with.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I wonder why Crystal Bradford wasn't playing for CMU.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder why Crystal Bradford wasn't playing for CMU.
Injured her knee in a practice during the week. She would have been out for todays game and tomorrows final had CMU made it.
I dont recall reading how serious it was.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
FSU and a few other teams had better be rooting for MTSU and James Madison to win their conference tournaments.

Reaction Score
Go Zips. My alma mater, gotta do it. Especially after the guys lost in OT tonight.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The committee has a history of shunting the mid-majors who flop by huge amounts in their conference tournament off to the NIT, so Bowling Green with a very negligible top 50 record is certainly only a possibility at this point. If Ball State wins tomorrow and is lined up against UTenn in the tourney, that would be very interesting.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yeah, Dobbs, I was thinking the same thing. Could be deja vu all over again, huh?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
To put Bowling Green's situation in perspective, they are now rated in the low 40's in the Sagarin-Massey rating services, well behind teams like USF and Rutgers that most apparently think are outside the bubble, and their RPI has dropped to 27, which is outside the norm for mid-major at large's. Western Kentucky way back in 2006 was another conference tourney upset with a sparkling record but rejected with an RPI of 17. WKY had a great run in the NIT that year, losing in the semifinal by 1 point in OT to eventual champ Kansas State, so the NIT isn't the worst place to be either instead of a likely first round bow out in the NCAAs.

And yeah, Ball State has to put it all together one more time, and you know there will be an orange team rooting hard for the Zips of Akron today as they definitely do not want the hoopla of maybe facing a BS Cardinals team on an 8-game roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom