Michigan Man tells me UConn is B1G.... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Michigan Man tells me UConn is B1G....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If were in the B10, then why aren't we "in" yet? Are they holding out for a partner from the ACC/B12? I have a hard time believing you couldn't get anything else out of this person, I woulda been begging.

Reaction Score
For the first few years more likely than not, Penn St would crush UConn in football on the field. Then, 4 or so months later, UConn would return the favor on the hardwood, twice.

In between, I would gain all of the weight that I just lost acting an unofficial judge as to who has the best ice cream - UConn's Dairy Bar or Penn St's Creamary. To make sure that I was unbiased, I would have to take several trips to each campus to ensure I have a large enough of sampling to be sure of my selection.

As a PSU fan growing up (relatives had season tix to fb since 1930), PSU Creamery is a 9.95 (on a scale of 1-10), Dairy Bar 9.949; Both great for ice cream...

Reaction Score

Took me 10 seconds of disbelief @nomar had written all of this to realize it wasn't written by nomar.
Haha. I've seen that dude's posts and wondered for a second if there was some Fight Club/Mr. Robot thing going on in my head.

My comments on the conference realignment board are of the 10-word "sarcastic quip" variety.

Speak kindly of me, Master.

Reaction Score
As a PSU fan growing up (relatives had season tix to fb since 1930), PSU Creamery is a 9.95 (on a scale of 1-10), Dairy Bar 9.949; Both great for ice cream...

Oh, boy, this thread is about to go nuclear, maybe worse that the never ending debate on best pizza :cool:

Reaction Score
U.C.D.B. ice cream is SO good that they put Kathy John's out of business;). And K-J's ice cream (I believe that they were supplied by Newport Creamery) was no slouch either.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Agree, and have heard the same from 2 unrelated people in 2 different AD's offices (one ours, one FSU). From UConn friend, nothing B1G was on the table at that time for UConn, and leadership was not happy about not being selected. Apparently there were early assurances given to UConn by some on Tobacco Rd, and they got trumped by FSU & Clemson predominantly, with UM and BC opposed to UConn also. From my FSU friend, supposedly Tobacco Road and UVa were pro-UConn; while FSU, Clem, UM, BC pro UL, and committed to not get UConn the votes necessary (so, willing to block any expansion unless they got their way). They were able to convince neutral parties to vote UL's way, and once Tobac Rd realized UConn wasn't going to happen, they worked out a compromise and voted UL (no clue what the compromise was). This was not about Jurich out-maneuvering WM and SH...as he liked to claim that UConn was "written in pen" initially...not true), this was determined inside the ACC and it was a power play between Tobacco Road and FSU & Clemson. The latter won out getting a southern school. For FSU & Clem it was not "personal" with UConn, it was about pushing back and not being dictated to by Tpbac Rd, for BC and UM it was personal. I don;t know if this is true or not, just what i was told.
This fits with what Jeff Jacobs described from unnamed sources (presumably UConn trustees or similar level) at after UL got the invitation. I remember Jacobs mentioning that Herbst's office was trying to get Shalala to return a phone call to no avail. It's also clear from the record that Jurich's "penned in" comment was a case of patting himself on the back more than anything else. At least it led to endless boneyard threads about pina coladas and donuts. In the same vein Flipper's comment about BC's role in the decision was self-aggrandizing... if FSU had prefered UConn over Louisville, BC's voice would have been overruled easily.

Reaction Score
This fits with what Jeff Jacobs described from unnamed sources (presumably UConn trustees or similar level) at after UL got the invitation. I remember Jacobs mentioning that Herbst's office was trying to get Shalala to return a phone call to no avail. It's also clear from the record that Jurich's "penned in" comment was a case of patting himself on the back more than anything else. At least it led to endless boneyard threads about pina coladas and donuts. In the same vein Flipper's comment about BC's role in the decision was self-aggrandizing... if FSU had prefered UConn over Louisville, BC's voice would have been overruled
easily.

No doubt individuals who were sued personally by Blumenthal harbored resentment. Trouble was that they remained in power in the ACC when realignment decisions were made.

It was an unfortunate confluence of events that doomed our chances with the ACC. The individual defendants detested us, Hathaway and Pasqualoni were dismantling the football program and given our lack of history in football it just wasn' t going to happen. In addition, BC didn't want to compete with us. This agenda was well disguised because they could always point to the lawsuit.

Could Wards been more active? Sure, but did it make any difference? I doubt it.

Unlike Rutgers, our addition to any conference won't be driven solely by TV sets. We have to be the whole package. On the bright side, we're getting there and I think the B1G will work out. At that point, we'll realize it is the best spot for us.

Of course we would go to the ACC now in a heartbeat. But that is only because we are currently stuck in the AAC gulag.

The last few years have sucked watching lesser, undeserving schools enjoying big paydays. But, we'll get there and when we do, we'll be thrilled and take advantage of the opportunity.

Reaction Score
U.C.D.B. ice cream is SO good that they put Kathy John's out of business;). And K-J's ice cream (I believe that they were supplied by Newport Creamery) was no slouch either.

That is not the only reason Kathy Johns went out of business, their food was completely inedible. One mouthful was enough, we left the food, but paid the bill and left

Reaction Score
This fits with what Jeff Jacobs described from unnamed sources (presumably UConn trustees or similar level) at after UL got the invitation. I remember Jacobs mentioning that Herbst's office was trying to get Shalala to return a phone call to no avail. It's also clear from the record that Jurich's "penned in" comment was a case of patting himself on the back more than anything else. At least it led to endless boneyard threads about pina coladas and donuts. In the same vein Flipper's comment about BC's role in the decision was self-aggrandizing... if FSU had prefered UConn over Louisville, BC's voice would have been overruled easily.

I believe I saw once that 2/3 majority is needed in the ACC to approve a new member and internal politics dictate that any formal announcement of a new member requires a unanimous decision.

At the time, the ACC had 11 members (excluding Maryland) with 3 pending members (ND, Syracuse & Pitt) with the belief that the 3 pending members did not have a vote at the time. Right off the bat, Florida St, Clemson, Miami, and BC were against UConn. Plus, Syracuse would likely been whispering in people's ears that they were against UConn, too, with Pitt doing whatever Syracuse told them to do as they saved their arse.

So before the proposal to add UConn even reached the table, UConn likely 7 votes for and 4 votes against, which may or may not provide 2/3 majority depending how one rounds the numbers. Throw on the fact that 2 of the conference's new members would also be against UConn and the timing of the NCAA ban (frack u, Syracuse hypocrites), UConn's chance at the ACC was doomed before it even began.

Thus, Louisville, which is as much a basektball school as UConn, was able to market itself to the FSU 7 Clemson block and with UConn doomed, it became unanimous to add them instead.

Could have UConn done a better job marketing itself to the ACC? Yes. Would it have made a difference. No. If CT has not sued BC and Miami presidents in 2004, would it have helped? Maybe, but, Miami would side with Florida St and Clemson while BC (and Syracuse) would continue to be afraid of UConn's potential (and still is). The only way that UConn could have won out is if ND came along and said, UConn or we won't join; but, ND only looks after ND and no one else.

Reaction Score
I believe I saw once that 2/3 majority is needed in the ACC to approve a new member and internal politics dictate that any formal announcement of a new member requires a unanimous decision.

At the time, the ACC had 11 members (excluding Maryland) with 3 pending members (ND, Syracuse & Pitt) with the belief that the 3 pending members did not have a vote at the time. Right off the bat, Florida St, Clemson, Miami, and BC were against UConn. Plus, Syracuse would likely been whispering in people's ears that they were against UConn, too, with Pitt doing whatever Syracuse told them to do as they saved their arse.

So before the proposal to add UConn even reached the table, UConn likely 7 votes for and 4 votes against, which may or may not provide 2/3 majority depending how one rounds the numbers. Throw on the fact that 2 of the conference's new members would also be against UConn and the timing of the NCAA ban (frack u, Syracuse hypocrites), UConn's chance at the ACC was doomed before it even began.

Thus, Louisville, which is as much a basektball school as UConn, was able to market itself to the FSU 7 Clemson block and with UConn doomed, it became unanimous to add them instead.

Could have UConn done a better job marketing itself to the ACC? Yes. Would it have made a difference. No. If CT has not sued BC and Miami presidents in 2004, would it have helped? Maybe, but, Miami would side with Florida St and Clemson while BC (and Syracuse) would continue to be afraid of UConn's potential (and still is). The only way that UConn could have won out is if ND came along and said, UConn or we won't join; but, ND only looks after ND and no one else.

I still think the lawsuit hurt us especially in 2011 - people don't like being sued.

Thanks, though for reminding me about Syracuse. I think they are jealous as hell of us. It bears repeating - they being compared to UConn. Why? Because UConn is a superior school, trending better and better that costs less than half of what Syracuse costs. In addition, UConn has totally out shined Syracuse in athletics. The last thing those insecure bastards want is us in the same conference out performing them at 40% of the cost.

Reaction Score
Oh, boy, this thread is about to go nuclear, maybe worse that the never ending debate on best pizza :cool:
A debate on best hamburgers? The Bernice Classic Cheeseburger at Shady Glen or the Steamed Burger at Ted's...

Reaction Score
Kathy John's is out of business? :( What is there now?

Reaction Score
That is not the only reason Kathy Johns went out of business, their food was completely inedible. One mouthful was enough, we left the food, but paid the bill and left

There food was all over the place, sometimes, it was good, other times, garbage.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's a large Cumberland Farms gas station/convenience store. Neat, clean, modern, well-lit -- the opposite of Kathy John's.
The most memorable thing about Kathy John's was the fact that you'd smell like Kathy John's for about 4 hours after leaving the restaurant.

Reaction Score
The most memorable thing about Kathy John's was the fact that you'd smell like Kathy John's for about 4 hours after leaving the restaurant.

The most memorable thing about Kathy John's for me was that they served the best hangover cure ever created by man: Hodge Podge Soup.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
The one time I went to Kathy John's I ate a piece of pie, which I never eat, and spent the next 3 days suffering through a bed ridden debilitating sickness in my room on McConaughy 6th.
And I was on a date that night which caused me to disappear from life and probably cost me some pootay.

I still get the chills when I drive by that corner.

Mother that lady on the bike logo.
I'm glad that witch is dead.

Reaction Score
The one time I went to Kathy John's I ate a piece of pie, which I never eat, and spent the next 3 days suffering through a bed ridden debilitating sickness in my room on McConaughy 6th.
And I was on a date that night which caused me to disappear from life and probably cost me some pootay.

I still get the chills when I drive by that corner.

Mother that lady on the bike logo.
I'm glad that witch is dead.

Eating pie at a glorified "Litchfield Farm Shop" was you downfall. Only items on the menu worth eating there were the greasy cheeseburgers, crinkle fries & ice cream. LOTS of ice cream. Couldn't have survived college without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom