Michigan Man tells me UConn is B1G.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Michigan Man tells me UConn is B1G....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I keep thinking if there is an invite coming it has to be soon because Delany wants us in their bball tourney at MSG in 2018. That means we need to make things official before the end of the year. Unless, of course they've already privately announced they are leaving like Jurich did with UL.

If we haven't privately told the AAC we are leaving what's the harm in doing so now? If it turns out we have nowhere to go it's not like they will kick us out.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati doesn't really fit their academic profile, doesn't bring anything new in terms of DMAs, and would only serve to piss off and make things more difficult for Ohio State. That is not the case with us, though we might piss off Rutgers a bit. Don't think Jim Delaney gives two craps about doing that right now though.

UConn's potential inclusion in the B1G should not ruffle Rutgers' feathers. First and foremost, Rutgers knows it can't dominate NYC by itself and having a partner in NYC can only help them when up against the ACC's presence in NYC (Syracuse & ND primarily). Plus, Rutgers views itself as a football first school (ignoring reality for a moment) while UConn is a basketball first school. The only contention I can see is in football recruiting as being able to play Rutgers once a year will likely improve UConn's ability to recruit football wise in the state. Also, UConn would likely see Rutgers as its primary, overall rival while Rutgers still sees Penn St as it's primary rival, though Penn St does not share the same feelings. Rivalries can't be forced, so that would take care of itself over time.

Reaction Score
I keep thinking if there is an invite coming it has to be soon because Delany wants us in their bball tourney at MSG in 2018. That means we need to make things official before the end of the year. Unless, of course they've already privately announced they are leaving like Jurich did with UL.

If we haven't privately told the AAC we are leaving what's the harm in doing so now? If it turns out we have nowhere to go it's not like they will kick us out.
It's because of what the whole institution has accomplished thus far. They had us on their minds for a while with a "who knows" attitude but 2014 really changed things. And the fact Connecticut is a very beautiful state.

ACC's loss is the Big Ten's gain. Hope they enjoy the wonderful cities of Louisville and Syracuse. They can stop by CT and visit on the way to BC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did we forget about how publicly Herbst was out there advocating for the ACC? If they were B1G bound then, that wouldn't be the case.

However much things may have changed, I don't think there was any sense in 2011 (?) that things were going to work out.
Agree, and have heard the same from 2 unrelated people in 2 different AD's offices (one ours, one FSU). From UConn friend, nothing B1G was on the table at that time for UConn, and leadership was not happy about not being selected. Apparently there were early assurances given to UConn by some on Tobacco Rd, and they got trumped by FSU & Clemson predominantly, with UM and BC opposed to UConn also. From my FSU friend, supposedly Tobacco Road and UVa were pro-UConn; while FSU, Clem, UM, BC pro UL, and committed to not get UConn the votes necessary (so, willing to block any expansion unless they got their way). They were able to convince neutral parties to vote UL's way, and once Tobac Rd realized UConn wasn't going to happen, they worked out a compromise and voted UL (no clue what the compromise was). This was not about Jurich out-maneuvering WM and SH...as he liked to claim that UConn was "written in pen" initially...not true), this was determined inside the ACC and it was a power play between Tobacco Road and FSU & Clemson. The latter won out getting a southern school. For FSU & Clem it was not "personal" with UConn, it was about pushing back and not being dictated to by Tpbac Rd, for BC and UM it was personal. I don;t know if this is true or not, just what i was told.

Reaction Score
Agree, and have heard the same from 2 unrelated people in 2 different AD's offices (one ours, one FSU). From UConn friend, nothing B1G was on the table at that time for UConn, and leadership was not happy about not being selected. Apparently there were early assurances given to UConn by some on Tobacco Rd, and they got trumped by FSU & Clemson predominantly, with UM and BC opposed to UConn also. From my FSU friend, supposedly Tobacco Road and UVa were pro-UConn; while FSU, Clem, UM, BC pro UL, and committed to not get UConn the votes necessary (so, willing to block any expansion unless they got their way). They were able to convince neutral parties to vote UL's way, and once Tobac Rd realized UConn wasn't going to happen, they worked out a compromise and voted UL (no clue what the compromise was). This was not about Jurich out-maneuvering WM and SH...as he liked to claim that UConn was "written in pen" initially...not true), this was determined inside the ACC and it was a power play between Tobacco Road and FSU & Clemson. The latter won out getting a southern school. For FSU & Clem it was not "personal" with UConn, it was about pushing back and not being dictated to by Tpbac Rd, for BC and UM it was personal. I don;t know if this is true or not, just what i was told.

This is the best explanation of our behavior, I think, at the time when Louisville was selected. My guess is that when Syracuse and Pitt were picked, we were told, just chill out, you're next, we've got some moves planned but you're next. (Those moves probably involved considering Rutgers or even trying to grab Penn State.) Those assurances were probably amplified when DeFilippo ran his mouth and Blaudschun published what came out.

Let's put it this way: after Syracuse and Pitt were picked, we went head over heels and publicly acted like we wanted to go to the ACC. Where did Louisville and WVU turn? The Big 12. They were probably each told, sorry, guys, there's no room for you on this train by the ACC.

Herbst and Manuel aren't by nature passive people. There has to be a reason why Jurich appeared to have visibly outhustled them. On paper, this wasn't a fair fight, so Jurich probably channeled his inner Bob Dylan: when you've got nothin', you've got nothin' to lose.

Reaction Score
Why would we piss off Rutgers ,I would think they would welcome us?
We give them a litgitmate rival especially to contest NYC.
If Cuse and even BC thought there was a prayer of us going to the B1G they would become huge supporters of us to the ACC.
They become marginlized with us in the B1G and whether people on this board don't understand what a problem that is ,the people at those institutions understand.
UConn to the ACC is a much better than for them and they no it.
Their opposition to us was really stupid.

In fairness, their opposition to us was only really stupid if we go to the Big Ten. Since we haven't yet, I don't know how they can be viewed as stupid.

That having been said, as I've said many times before, we provide far less positives to either the Big Ten or the ACC by joining them than we provide negatives by joining the other.

Reaction Score
UConn's potential inclusion in the B1G should not ruffle Rutgers' feathers. First and foremost, Rutgers knows it can't dominate NYC by itself and having a partner in NYC can only help them when up against the ACC's presence in NYC (Syracuse & ND primarily). Plus, Rutgers views itself as a football first school (ignoring reality for a moment) while UConn is a basketball first school. The only contention I can see is in football recruiting as being able to play Rutgers once a year will likely improve UConn's ability to recruit football wise in the state. Also, UConn would likely see Rutgers as its primary, overall rival while Rutgers still sees Penn St as it's primary rival, though Penn St does not share the same feelings. Rivalries can't be forced, so that would take care of itself over time.
If UCONN goes to the B1G I can actually see Maryland becoming a natural rival...between football, men's & women's basketball I can see it ramping up quickly.

Reaction Score
I have heard the same thing from people inside UCONN AD.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you think the guy gets his cat washed the same place as Conspiracy Kitty cleans up?

Reading between the lines, cats wash by licking themselves. Sometimes strippers do that. So "cat wash" is clearly code for a strip joint frequented by B1G luminaries, who for obvious reasons must hide their identities. Can't think of a better source than that.

Reaction Score
Reading between the lines, cats wash by licking themselves. Sometimes strippers do that. So "cat wash" is clearly code for a strip joint frequented by B1G luminaries, who for obvious reasons must hide their identities. Can't think of a better source than that.
Like most here (pretty sure it's most anyway), I'm completely unfamiliar with the mores and folkways of strip joint life so, naturally, this explanation is eminently logical. The signs are all there people. The bandwagon is filling up. Better reserve your seat now. Can't wait for our first Big Ten media day!

Reaction Score
That's why they named the project and non-disclosure agreement that all individuals looped in inside UConn and B1G offices needed to sign before working on it... "Project Electric Blue"

Reaction Score
In fairness, their opposition to us was only really stupid if we go to the Big Ten. Since we haven't yet, I don't know how they can be viewed as stupid.

That having been said, as I've said many times before, we provide far less positives to either the Big Ten or the ACC by joining them than we provide negatives by joining the other.
I think there's a bigger point here. We're not the prize; neither was Rutgers. The prize is the region and its sixty million plus sets of eyeballs.

I'm sure the B1G has been reading the tea leaves for decades. I'm sure they've known that demographic trends don't favor them. I'm sure they've brainstormed options including standing pat...all of which had risks.

Go West? Lots and lots of empty land to cross to get there. And once they do, an entrenched opposition to attempt to dislodge. Maybe they could form a partnership with the existing players. Tried that. Didn't work out.

Go South? Holy crap! Brutal competition everywhere you look. Not only that, "carpetbagger" still enjoys a rather poor reception in the region.

Go East? Little competition, that's for sure. Big potential market? Check. Problems? Plenty. Inertia to overcome. Little relevance in big time football since Roger Staubach left Navy. Got some selling to do there. What about product? Yeah, that's not a regional strength. Can't pluck some local brand names. Gonna have to build the product. That's gonna take time.

So the decision was go East and build or stand pat and sell their existing buggy whips for as long as people would buy them. Maryland and Rutgers tell us what decision they made. Rutgers (as, to a lesser degree, is Maryland) is a project. Rutgers is the B1G's Hasheem Thabeet. They expect Rutgers to pay off but realize some pigs need a whole lot of lipstick.

I don't believe the B1G has ventured east with a half-assed plan. Rutgers and Maryland aren't enough ammo. I think they have us and a Virginia school in their sights. That provides a platform to open up the East. That's a plan.

The last question is How? Shock and awe or set up an outpost first, learn some lessons, fine tune the approach? Again, Rutgers and Maryland answer that. The B1G East isn't ready for us yet. But the plan's still the plan.

Reaction Score
Seniors in high school have never known the UCONN Men's basketball team as anything other than a National Championship caliber program.
If UCONN plays RU every year as B1G foes, in 10 years you have a bunch of high school kids who grew up knowing this B1G rivalry played right here in CT, NJ, or NY. Much more accessible than Michigan Ohio State. Not the UCONN - RU we know it as. That would be a very powerful, valuable draw.
I saw a one Dick Blumenthal marching in a parade yesterday and given my time spent reading this board, all kinds of thoughts were running threw my head. I didn't say a word.

Reaction Score
I have heard the same thing from people inside UCONN AD.

You have heard it because it is 100% true. FSU and Clemson led the charge, and the neutral parties in the ACC feared what would happen if they did not acquiesce to the demands of the conference's 2 biggest football powers.

Reaction Score

I disagree. It was stupid even though UCONN is still in the gulag. There are many reasons/opinions which suggest UCONN vs. BC is much more valuable than BC alone. UCONN to either conference is a great loss to the other. This has been debated ad nauseam but to be fair, I think it can easily be seen as being stupid.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I think there's a bigger point here. We're not the prize; neither was Rutgers. The prize is the region and its sixty million plus sets of eyeballs.

I'm sure the B1G has been reading the tea leaves for decades. I'm sure they've known that demographic trends don't favor them. I'm sure they've brainstormed options including standing pat...all of which had risks.

Go West? Lots and lots of empty land to cross to get there. And once they do, an entrenched opposition to attempt to dislodge. Maybe they could form a partnership with the existing players. Tried that. Didn't work out.

Go South? Holy crap! Brutal competition everywhere you look. Not only that, "carpetbagger" still enjoys a rather poor reception in the region.

Go East? Little competition, that's for sure. Big potential market? Check. Problems? Plenty. Inertia to overcome. Little relevance in big time football since Roger Staubach left Navy. Got some selling to do there. What about product? Yeah, that's not a regional strength. Can't pluck some local brand names. Gonna have to build the product. That's gonna take time.

So the decision was go East and build or stand pat and sell their existing buggy whips for as long as people would buy them. Maryland and Rutgers tell us what decision they made. Rutgers (as, to a lesser degree, is Maryland) is a project. Rutgers is the B1G's Hasheem Thabeet. They expect Rutgers to pay off but realize some pigs need a whole lot of lipstick.

I don't believe the B1G has ventured east with a half-assed plan. Rutgers and Maryland aren't enough ammo. I think they have us and a Virginia school in their sights. That provides a platform to open up the East. That's a plan.

The last question is How? Shock and awe or set up an outpost first, learn some lessons, fine tune the approach? Again, Rutgers and Maryland answer that. The B1G East isn't ready for us yet. But the plan's still the plan.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm in the corner with those who believe we are ultimately B1G-bound. It's just going to take some time for them to finalize the partner that joins with us. I agree it will likely be a VA school as there are no other quality candidates outside ourselves in the northeast corridor to choose from, outside of VA.

We just have to continue to do what we've been doing to best position ourselves for success. The STEM program, workings toward AAU status, continuing to schedule B1G opponents (I also believe this is not a coincidence), etc. While I understand time is not necessarily on our side, we just need to bide it and keep winning/improving until the partner is finalized.

Reaction Score
You have heard it because it is 100% true. FSU and Clemson led the charge, and the neutral parties in the ACC feared what would happen if they did not acquiesce to the demands of the conference's 2 biggest football powers.
The one thing I never did was question the validity of that conversation. It was explained very well...just was it has been in this thread recently. It's too bad that blame was placed on people who had ZERO control about what happened. If there is any blame to be placed it's on Hathaway for sitting back and not working to strengthen our standing when Pitt got in. That's all water under the bridge now...and the best thing about working toward a B1G type University is the strengthening of academics.

Reaction Score
If UCONN goes to the B1G I can actually see Maryland becoming a natural rival...between football, men's & women's basketball I can see it ramping up quickly.
The Big Ten controlling the shoreline between Washington DC and Boston is insane. UConn/Rutgers/UMD/Penn State are immediate rivals, Penn State being a rival in hockey, at least.

Reaction Score
I disagree. It was stupid even though UCONN is still in the gulag. There are many reasons/opinions which suggest UCONN vs. BC is much more valuable than BC alone. UCONN to either conference is a great loss to the other. This has been debated ad nauseam but to be fair, I think it can easily be seen as being stupid.

I guess that would explain why you hear so many BC fans challenging their administration's position. Heck -- it would explain the Pope asking how a Catholic institution could do something that dumb when he spoke at the U.N.

Please don't get me wrong -- if and when we join the Big Ten, there will be BC fans asking if they screwed up. But at the moment, you don't see anyone but UConn fans even asking the question. There is a reason for that.

Reaction Score
I think the only thing BC fans care about is BC, which is as it should be. I don't expect fans to care about other programs, tv rights, conference revenues, or any of that . But from a business standpoint, BC and UCONN in the same conference is more valuable than the route they chose. It was stupid.

Reaction Score

Men's soccer, too, as UConn has 2 NCAA titles and Maryland has 3. Ditto for women's field hockey where Maryland has 8 titles and UConn has 4 (hopefully 5 after this season). In the future, fingers crossed, UConn can also develop a rivalry with Maryland in men's lax.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten controlling the shoreline between Washington DC and Boston is insane. UConn/Rutgers/UMD/Penn State are immediate rivals, Penn State being a rival in hockey, at least.

For the first few years more likely than not, Penn St would crush UConn in football on the field. Then, 4 or so months later, UConn would return the favor on the hardwood, twice.

In between, I would gain all of the weight that I just lost acting an unofficial judge as to who has the best ice cream - UConn's Dairy Bar or Penn St's Creamary. To make sure that I was unbiased, I would have to take several trips to each campus to ensure I have a large enough of sampling to be sure of my selection.

Reaction Score
For the first few years more likely than not, Penn St would crush UConn in football on the field. Then, 4 or so months later, UConn would return the favor on the hardwood, twice.

In between, I would gain all of the weight that I just lost acting an unofficial judge as to who has the best ice cream - UConn's Dairy Bar or Penn St's Creamary. To make sure that I was unbiased, I would have to take several trips to each campus to ensure I have a large enough of sampling to be sure of my selection.
Diaco is ready for it, he's already had the rivalry trophy made....
golden_ice_cream_icecream_cone_trophy_award__89150.1391118120.358.358.jpg

Reaction Score
I'd love it if we ended up in the B1G (obviously), and Cinci landed in the ACC. We could tell BC and SU to go suck each others richards, and schedule Cinci every few years as an ACC rival. If there is one other school I'd like to see end up P5 (after UConn) it's Cinci.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Took me 10 seconds of disbelief @nomar had written all of this to realize it wasn't written by nomar.

Haha. I've seen that dude's posts and wondered for a second if there was some Fight Club/Mr. Robot thing going on in my head.

My comments on the conference realignment board are of the 10-word "sarcastic quip" variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom