Michigan Man tells me UConn is B1G.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Michigan Man tells me UConn is B1G....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hmmm... I google Uconn and B1G and this thread is the top hit.....

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
A source is a source, of course, of course,
and Butch doesn't need to discuss his source,
unless, of course, Butch's source,
works in the famous car wash....

This is just...brilliant,

Reaction Score
Ah. . .so if we're in, why aren't we in?!
Here's the thing, we can't go directly from being out to being in, we have to pass through different stages of being in, kind of like going from being a cub scout to an eagle scout. I'm not sure how many stages of in we need to go through or what stage we're in but I'm almost positive we're no longer completely out of the B1G.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing, we can't go directly from being out to being in, we have to pass through different stages of being in, kind of like going from being a cub scout to an eagle scout. I'm not sure how many stages of in we need to go through or what stage we're in but I'm almost positive we're no longer completely out of the B1G.
Like when I plop $3 on a $270 million jackpot?

Reaction Score
I was talking with a old friend who walked-on for Bo, his brother started for Bo in a Rose Bowl and his Dad was a big donor.

He asked me if I was excited about UConn joining the B1G... I said, "no, its just a scheduling thing. They are counting UConn as P5 games."

He said, "no, not that, I heard that UConn will be joining the conference from a buddy of mine."

When told him that I didn't know anything, he clammed up, and muttered that maybe he got it wrong, but that we would be a good fit with hockey(!) and basketball.

He is a football and spring football sports guy... I didn't think he even knew what hockey was... so I found that interesting.

I never get excited any time I hear this unsupported chatter from people who are about as far from official sources as it gets.

However, the truth is that there were little peeps and whispers and rumors, like this, about Rutgers joining the B1G for about 20 years before it happened.

So, I wouldn't go looking for hotel reservations in Iowa City anytime soon, but more chatter is far better than less chatter, so please keep it coming.

On an unrelated note, is that an exact quote from Shawn Corchesne (in your signature)? Really?

Reaction Score
I never get excited any time I hear this unsupported chatter from people who are about as far from official sources as it gets.

However, the truth is that there were little peeps and whispers and rumors, like this, about Rutgers joining the B1G for about 20 years before it happened.

So, I wouldn't go looking for hotel reservations in Iowa City anytime soon, but more chatter is far better than less chatter, so please keep it coming.

On an unrelated note, is that an exact quote from Shawn Corchesne (in your signature)? Really?
Agreed on this. Also, @sdhusky has been around a while, so I don't think he's making it up.

The murmurs have been getting louder and louder abut UConn to the B1G. Nothing is inevitable, but I've felt more hope about a move since some time around @Skiblets post a few months ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Agreed. Temery can't put the B1G logo on the website yet but I've been telling my friends and neighbors we've been in for a short while now. Going to the Hamptons episode.

Reaction Score
Nah I think where there's smoke, there's fire. I'd say there's certainly a lot of interest from the B1G. There's just been so many of these kinds of things - little interjections and people with influence and semi influence to make me think there isn't something to the UConn to the B1G stuff... I feel that way for a few reasons.

1.) I know I keep peddling my story about my boss - but he's on the exec. board for Wisconsin's boosters and at least as far as that school's concerned - they're clammoring for UConn to the B1G. I guess they also did an alum survey about schools to add and UConn wasn't just the top choice - but the top choice by far among Wisconsin alums. He's no joke, either. He was President of the Booster Club for years. He's still on the executive board. So I feel pretty confident Wisconsin is on board. If they are, I'm sure others are.

2.) Seriously look at the number of big name B1G schools they're adding to the schedules of nearly all the sports teams - especially the significant ones. Ohio State, Maryland... they'll get Michigan down at the battle of Atlantis. They're already adding Illinois and Indiana to their football schedules in 2019-2020. The Women's hoops team is also playing Ohio State, Maryland and Nebraska. To me, that's not a mistake. You obviously don't want to drive the bus off the cliff either, but...

3.) It just makes a lot of freaking sense. So what if Rutgers has more media share for football in NYC? Why not have all of it? Esp. if the plan is to launch a network. If you want to do TV, you want NYC and if you want NYC - especially in the higher ratings winter/spring months - then UConn hoops is where it's at.

There's def. some hope and prayer there, but to me it just seems absurd that Uconn doesn't get added relatively soon.

pj

Reaction Score
To me it was clear as soon as Louisville was picked by the ACC that we were going to end up in the B1G. And there's no explanation for the absence of rumors of UConn to B12 (when crazy choices like Memphis and Boise State are rumored) except the same explanation for why there were never rumors of Rutgers to the ACC when they were grabbing many small market schools. Rutgers was ticketed to the B1G, and so are we now.

We bring as much money to the B1G as their per-school average, so we pay for ourselves. We bring growth potential in a region of 35 million people that is almost unpenetrated by college sports. We have a respected brand and numerous recent championships. The only reasons they would pass on us is (a) AAU and (b) lack of partner. With deregulation (b) goes away, and it's hard to believe (a) will be decisive when every university president is grasping for money.

Reaction Score
3.) It just makes a lot of freaking sense. So what if Rutgers has more media share for football in NYC? Why not have all of it? Esp. if the plan is to launch a network. If you want to do TV, you want NYC and if you want NYC - especially in the higher ratings winter/spring months - then UConn hoops is where it's at.
Add onto that, while Rutgers is theoretically more able to capture the NYC DMA due to their closer proximity, they suck at everything except being a PR nightmare. Do you want Kyle Flood as the face of your athletic department, or Kevin Ollie?

Reaction Score
To me it was clear as soon as Louisville was picked by the ACC that we were going to end up in the B1G. And there's no explanation for the absence of rumors of UConn to B12 (when crazy choices like Memphis and Boise State are rumored) except the same explanation for why there were never rumors of Rutgers to the ACC when they were grabbing many small market schools. Rutgers was ticketed to the B1G, and so are we now.

A lot to unpack there, but I kind of generally agree with you. I'm really in over my head in this discussion because i'm not nearly as well versed in NCAA economics as I should be - but to me the only REAL appeal of the ACC move is some sort of 'old Big East' division where they can try to replicate - to a semi-reasonable degree - the old Big East model within their own conference. You'd essentially have a Division with Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Clemson, NC State, Florida State, Virginia, Georgia Tech with a Division of UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Boston College, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and Miami. There's a lot to like there - but I'm not sure what the old Big East Schools really get out of the deal from a dollars and cents standpoint in football. Why move, right? Plus the conference already has a piece of Boston, a piece of New York and a huge hunk of Pennsylvania. I'm just not sure what we bring to the table, there.

The Big XII would be a total desperation move on their part, IMO. No doubt it helps their basketball, but football is, always has been and always should be the priority there. Boise State, BYU... seem to fit more there - geographically and otherwise. Heck, I'd see SMU being a better fit there than us. The Pac 12 is a no-go.

To me it's always been the B1G. Chicago, New York, Washington, Detroit. Seems pretty straight forward to me. I could absolutely see Cincinnati being competition for a spot there - but I don't feel like there's much of a comparison between the two if given the choice. We bring a bigger market, more upside... everything...

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Nah I think where there's smoke, there's fire. I'd say there's certainly a lot of interest from the B1G. There's just been so many of these kinds of things - little interjections and people with influence and semi influence to make me think there isn't something to the UConn to the B1G stuff... I feel that way for a few reasons.

1.) I know I keep peddling my story about my boss - but he's on the exec. board for Wisconsin's boosters and at least as far as that school's concerned - they're clammoring for UConn to the B1G. I guess they also did an alum survey about schools to add and UConn wasn't just the top choice - but the top choice by far among Wisconsin alums. He's no joke, either. He was President of the Booster Club for years. He's still on the executive board. So I feel pretty confident Wisconsin is on board. If they are, I'm sure others are.

2.) Seriously look at the number of big name B1G schools they're adding to the schedules of nearly all the sports teams - especially the significant ones. Ohio State, Maryland... they'll get Michigan down at the battle of Atlantis. They're already adding Illinois and Indiana to their football schedules in 2019-2020. The Women's hoops team is also playing Ohio State, Maryland and Nebraska. To me, that's not a mistake. You obviously don't want to drive the bus off the cliff either, but...

There's def. some hope and prayer there, but to me it just seems absurd that Uconn doesn't get added relatively soon.
Took me 10 seconds of disbelief @nomar had written all of this to realize it wasn't written by nomar.

Reaction Score
A lot to unpack there, but I kind of generally agree with you. I'm really in over my head in this discussion because i'm not nearly as well versed in NCAA economics as I should be - but to me the only REAL appeal of the ACC move is some sort of 'old Big East' division where they can try to replicate - to a semi-reasonable degree - the old Big East model within their own conference. You'd essentially have a Division with Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Clemson, NC State, Florida State, Virginia, Georgia Tech with a Division of UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Boston College, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and Miami. There's a lot to like there - but I'm not sure what the old Big East Schools really get out of the deal from a dollars and cents standpoint in football. Why move, right? Plus the conference already has a piece of Boston, a piece of New York and a huge hunk of Pennsylvania. I'm just not sure what we bring to the table, there.

The Big XII would be a total desperation move on their part, IMO. No doubt it helps their basketball, but football is, always has been and always should be the priority there. Boise State, BYU... seem to fit more there - geographically and otherwise. Heck, I'd see SMU being a better fit there than us. The Pac 12 is a no-go.

To me it's always been the B1G. Chicago, New York, Washington, Detroit. Seems pretty straight forward to me. I could absolutely see Cincinnati being competition for a spot there - but I don't feel like there's much of a comparison between the two if given the choice. We bring a bigger market, more upside... everything...
Cincinnati doesn't really fit their academic profile, doesn't bring anything new in terms of DMAs, and would only serve to piss off and make things more difficult for Ohio State. That is not the case with us, though we might piss off Rutgers a bit. Don't think Jim Delaney gives two craps about doing that right now though.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati doesn't really fit their academic profile, doesn't bring anything new in terms of DMAs, and would only serve to piss off and make things more difficult for Ohio State. That is not the case with us, though we might piss off Rutgers a bit. Don't think Jim Delaney gives two craps about doing that right now though.
Why would we piss off Rutgers ,I would think they would welcome us?
We give them a litgitmate rival especially to contest NYC.
If Cuse and even BC thought there was a prayer of us going to the B1G they would become huge supporters of us to the ACC.
They become marginlized with us in the B1G and whether people on this board don't understand what a problem that is ,the people at those institutions understand.
UConn to the ACC is a much better than for them and they no it.
Their opposition to us was really stupid.

Reaction Score
Did we forget about how publicly Herbst was out there advocating for the ACC? If they were B1G bound then, that wouldn't be the case.

However much things may have changed, I don't think there was any sense in 2011 (?) that things were going to work out.

pj

Reaction Score
Did we forget about how publicly Herbst was out there advocating for the ACC? If they were B1G bound then, that wouldn't be the case.

However much things may have changed, I don't think there was any sense in 2011 (?) that things were going to work out.

Haven't forgotten. Sure, the ACC was adding then and the university sought the bird in hand versus the speculative B1G in the bush. But, once the ACC went with Louisville, everything changed. The B1G had time to warm up to us and the ACC was in a corner - ESPN wasn't giving them any more money for more additions. We make too much sense for the B1G for them not to see that and grab us. They will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom