Michael Bradley Denied "Hardship" Waiver | The Boneyard

Michael Bradley Denied "Hardship" Waiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bradley applied for a "hardship waiver" after transferring from UConn under the basis of being closer to his sick grandmother. Unfortunately for Bradley, the NCAA turned down his request. Even though he's transferring, you have to feel bad for the kid after redshirting his first year, then being injured his entire second year (medical redshirt?), and now having to sit out an entire third year. By the time Bradley is a senior, he's going to be one of the oldest players in the NCAA.

Link

Reaction Score
This is actually good news for us UConn fans. If they let Bradley play they have to let Roscoe play, and that opens the flood gates to bury the program

Reaction Score
If Bradley can't get his waiver approved to be closer to his sick grandmother, no chance Roscoe gets his through.

Reaction Score
well it wouldn't matter for roscoe if bradley got a waiver. They applied for two different reasons. Bradley applied to be close to him grandmother. That wouldn't mean roscoe would be granted one also

Reaction Score
So he might be able to play only 2 years of college basketball, right? Unless he petitions to the NCAA and is granted a 6th year to get a 3rd year of eligibility. Although you can go ask Tim Abromaitis at ND how hard that is to get. And he'll never play 4 years.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have minded Bradley having his waiver granted if it could have been done in a vacuum. Unfortunately it would have also meant that Roscoe would be able to play this year, which would have not only been ridiculously unfair to UConn, but it would have opened up the floodgates for every kid at every program that has to sit something out for one year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The guy is getting five years of free college and he wants six?

Reaction Score
So he might be able to play only 2 years of college basketball, right? Unless he petitions to the NCAA and is granted a 6th year to get a 3rd year of eligibility. Although you can go ask Tim Abromaitis at ND how hard that is to get. And he'll never play 4 years.

No, I believe that he has at least 3 years, because he was red-shirted his freshman year. Had he stayed, he might have gotten the fourth.

Reaction Score
No, I believe that he has at least 3 years, because he was red-shirted his freshman year. Had he stayed, he might have gotten the fourth.
I don't think you are right. After the 1st year at WKU he will have been on scholarship for 3 years already. I don't think you can be on scholarship for 6 years without a waiver from the NCAA. Those are sometimes given but since he was not granted the right to play right away at WKU I don't think the NCAA is going to look favorably on the transfer year he is sitting out.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have minded Bradley having his waiver granted if it could have been done in a vacuum. Unfortunately it would have also meant that Roscoe would be able to play this year, which would have not only been ridiculously unfair to UConn, but it would have opened up the floodgates for every kid at every program that has to sit something out for one year.
I don't see why you think one waiver has to do with the other. Both players requested waivers based on different reasons. Granting Bradley a waiver because he wants to be close to the person who raised him, is quite different than a player who wants greener pastures and a chance to play in the post season.

In Scoes case, I, along with most, feel he had no shot at winning that battle. As for MB, I thought he'd get it. As mentioned, he RSed his freshman year and I think he got a Med RS last season. Sometimes I wonder if the folks at the NCAA just flip though a few pieces of paper and then stamp it one way or the other w/out really understanding the circumstances. If all we know, whoever ruled on MB probably didn't realize that his grandmother was the one who raised him, if I'm not mistaken.

Knowing that he has to sti out yet another season, I wonder if he could change his mind and continue at UConn. I'm assuming that ship has sailed. No pun intended. There are a couple available 2012 ships and the team could use another big, but I'm assuming either he's set on leaving and/or the program has turned the page as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Bradley transferred for reasons other than hardship - the appeal was what it was, but the NCAA was probably right to deny it.

Not sure this kid's head was screwed on straight in this deal - I suspect he had been led to believe he would be granted a waiver. (The NCAA was handing them out like candy for a while there.) He'll now sit out his third year which means that by the time he checks into a basketball game for year, he will be been away from it for nearly four years.

Reaction Score
I don't think you are right. After the 1st year at WKU he will have been on scholarship for 3 years already. I don't think you can be on scholarship for 6 years without a waiver from the NCAA. Those are sometimes given but since he was not granted the right to play right away at WKU I don't think the NCAA is going to look favorably on the transfer year he is sitting out.

You know, after I wrote it, I thought about it further, and he would have had 3 years here with the possibility of a fourth. In hindsight, I think you might be right that he only gets two years. It's a tough one to figure out.

Reaction Score
This is actually good news for us UConn fans. If they let Bradley play they have to let Roscoe play, and that opens the flood gates to bury the program
Not so. Different cases. I thought a waiver for Bradley would have been a humane gesture, but lack of it just shows the NCAA really should see it's last days.

Reaction Score
So, like Dave Borges said in his most recent blog post, this will hurt our APR because of the retention point. Had he gotten the waiver, that retention point would have been waived as well.

Reaction Score
So, like Dave Borges said in his most recent blog post, this will hurt our APR because of the retention point. Had he gotten the waiver, that retention point would have been waived as well.
Everything effects our APR negatively according to the NCAA and their stooges at Yahoo.

Reaction Score

I'm confused. I was under the impression that if he left in good standing then the school would not be penalized. So what does this mean for UConn and Roscoe. Is that another retention point lost?

Reaction Score

No, that's not correct. Bradley asked for a hardship waiver based on family situations. Those are granted from time to time. Roscoe wanted a waiver -- well, because he wanted one.

Bradley being granted his waiver would not have had any effect on Roscoe being turned down for his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom