Men's soccer beats UC Santa Barbara | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer beats UC Santa Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Is it too early to think its the AAC championship or bust? At large resume with this loss can't be too great.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, while I thought the team had good young talent, the one thing I wondered about this team was where they were going to get their goal scoring. Well, we're still wondering, and they certainly haven't discovered the goal scorer that they need. At some of the early games I was struck by how few good goal scoring chances this team generated. This hasn't changed, they still aren't generating much in the way of any chances, let alone getting any goals. The defense has been good but the offense has been totally lacking, and that was true before the team started to get nicked up from injuries.

Is it too early to think its the AAC championship or bust? At large resume with this loss can't be too great.

It certainly looks that way. Problem is, unless the offense starts to show something, at this point I just can't imagine them getting anywhere near the championship.

Reaction Score
Uconn: 1
Cincinnati: 1

Great 1st half. Looked like a team ready to win. 2nd half was like the past 9 games.
Went to double OT. Uconn had best chance in 2nd OT. Right at the goalie.
One of the better games played this season. They played to win and could tell they were upset after the tie.
Now 3-3-4 AAC: 0-2-1

Reaction Score
Uconn: 1
Cincinnati: 1

Great 1st half. Looked like a team ready to win. 2nd half was like the past 9 games.
Went to double OT. Uconn had best chance in 2nd OT. Right at the goalie.
One of the better games played this season. They played to win and could tell they were upset after the tie.
Now 3-3-4 AAC: 0-2-1

I listened to the game on WHUS. It sounded like UConn had a number of very good scoring chances, so at least for this game the opportunities were there.

Reaction Score
I listened to the game on WHUS. It sounded like UConn had a number of very good scoring chances, so at least for this game the opportunities were there.

You are what your record says you are.

Still no wins so far in the AAC that Ray Reid called out for not taking soccer seriously. Ray Reid doing Ray Reid things.

Most of UConn's men's teams are struggling mightily in this conference despite fan assistance the league is beneath us. Football, men's hoop, men's soccer. Men's soccer would face 2 ranked opponents in a week in the old Big East and now cannot navigate through Memphis and Cincinnati? WTF?

Reaction Score
Of course they missed a penalty kick tonight that would have tied the game tonight. A new stadium will not be the answer for every problem this program has right now.

Reaction Score
I've been away several days vacationing on the Cape. Doesn't look like I missed much with men's soccer not scoring any goals again in a loss to SMU, so things have certainly not gotten any better there, good chances or not. The penalty kick miss against SMU sounds similar to what happened in the AAC tourney last year, with Alex Sanchez sending the ball over the net, so the keeper didn't even have to make a save. UConn scored on a penalty kick in the tie with Cincinnati, but other than that, the Huskies haven't scored a "normal" goal since the Boston College loss on September 22. In my mind this is still a ridiculously young team out on the field. Young teams usually improve as time goes along, but so far not this one. The sheer inability for this team to put a ball in the opposing net is pretty mind boggling.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/102115aaa.html

UConn: 2
Temple: 0

2 goals by #11 (5th total for year)

UConn now 5-5-4 with 7 pts in AAC.

The victory over Temple is UConn's second straight AAC win, and the second straight game in which they have scored two goals. Abdou Mbacke Thiam now has six goals on the season and three in the last two games. Perhaps Thiam is turning into the consistent goal scorer the Husky offense so desperately needs. We'll have to see how he does in the next few games.

With their current seven points in the AAC standings, UConn is now somewhere in the middle of the AAC pack in the standings, with the other AAC teams still to play each other tonight. It is not out of the question that UConn could finish in the top four in the standings and end up with a home game in the first round of the AAC tournament. Of course, the Huskies would have to continue winning AAC games for that to happen, beginning with a road game against Tulsa on Saturday night.

Reaction Score
Men's soccer played to a 1-1 tie at Tulsa tonight. It was not the needed result in trying to achieve a top four finish in the standings in order to secure a home game in the first round of the AAC tournament. However, UConn was lucky to get the tie tonight, as Abdou Mbacke Thiam scored UConn's goal with one second left in regulation.

UConn is currently tied with Tulsa for 3rd in the AAC standings with 8 points, with the four teams behind them in the standings all within two points of UConn and Tulsa. The next AAC team UConn plays is USF, who along with SMU is way ahead of everyone else in the AAC soccer standings. I suspect UConn needs to win this game in order to finish in the top four, and that will obviously be a real tough task considering how these two teams have performed this season.

Reaction Score
UConn women are 15-2 overall and 7-1 in conference play and are atop of the conference standings with 21 points, 2 more than second place USF and 3 over third place UCF with 1 game left to play. If they keep playing strong and make it to the conference championship game, I think they should get an NCAA bid.

Reaction Score
UConn women are 15-2 overall and 7-1 in conference play and are atop of the conference standings with 21 points, 2 more than second place USF and 3 over third place UCF with 1 game left to play. If they keep playing strong and make it to the conference championship game, I think they should get an NCAA bid.

By coincidence I just got back from today's women's soccer game with SMU. Last I heard, UConn women have a very good RPI, and from what I can tell, are clearly in the NCAA tournament at this point. Unless they falter in the first round of the AAC tourney, they will probably be one of the top 16 seeds in the 64 team field. If they win the AAC tourney, they might have an outside shot at being one of the top 8 seeds (these teams play home games through the first three rounds), but given that they haven't beaten any of the top teams in the country, I don't think that likely.

Reaction Score
wow...who are the wins over coney. EXCITING STUFF.....

Reaction Score
I've been away several days vacationing on the Cape. Doesn't look like I missed much with men's soccer not scoring any goals again in a loss to SMU, so things have certainly not gotten any better there, good chances or not. The penalty kick miss against SMU sounds similar to what happened in the AAC tourney last year, with Alex Sanchez sending the ball over the net, so the keeper didn't even have to make a save. UConn scored on a penalty kick in the tie with Cincinnati, but other than that, the Huskies haven't scored a "normal" goal since the Boston College loss on September 22. In my mind this is still a ridiculously young team out on the field. Young teams usually improve as time goes along, but so far not this one. The sheer inability for this team to put a ball in the opposing net is pretty mind boggling.
WOW...LOST TO BC....who was the other L too.

Reaction Score
wow...who are the wins over coney. EXCITING STUFF.....

Yes, Nicky, Rutgers has a good women's soccer team this year, beat UConn and are currently at #9 while UConn is at #11 in the NCAA rankings. Good for them. Considering that New Jersey is home two teams that have been ranked #1 in HS girl's soccer nationally this year (IHA at the start and now Northern Highlands), I would hope that Rutgers can put together a good soccer team just based on the local recruiting scene. Just hope Rutgers does not choke because its very rare for ANY Rutgers athletic team to be ranked. Right now, UConn's women's soccer and its field hockey team, which is #2 and the 2 time defending NCAA champion, are ranked. Going into winter sports, the UConn women's basketball team will be ranked #1 again after winning the last 3 titles in a row and the men's team is in the pre-season - top 25. While not ranked, UConn's hockey team just upset #8 BU. How is Rutgers' hockey team doing this year? Oh, nevermind. What other Rutgers' teams are or will be ranked in 2015/6 besides the Rutgers football team, which maybe #1 number of arrests in 2015. Congratulations! As for schedules, yes, Rutgers benefits by being in the B1G instead of the American. Then again, the B1G has 2 ranked schools right now - Rutgers and Penn St, which happens to be the same number that the American has - 2, UConn and USF. Oh, and non-conf games against Loyla Marymont, Drexel, etc. isn't anything to brag about.

Reaction Score
Yes, Nicky, Rutgers has a good women's soccer team this year, beat UConn and are currently at #9 while UConn is at #11 in the NCAA rankings. Good for them. Considering that New Jersey is home two teams that have been ranked #1 in HS girl's soccer nationally this year (IHA at the start and now Northern Highlands), I would hope that Rutgers can put together a good soccer team just based on the local recruiting scene. Just hope Rutgers does not choke because its very rare for ANY Rutgers athletic team to be ranked. Right now, UConn's women's soccer and its field hockey team, which is #2 and the 2 time defending NCAA champion, are ranked. Going into winter sports, the UConn women's basketball team will be ranked #1 again after winning the last 3 titles in a row and the men's team is in the pre-season - top 25. While not ranked, UConn's hockey team just upset #8 BU. How is Rutgers' hockey team doing this year? Oh, nevermind. What other Rutgers' teams are or will be ranked in 2015/6 besides the Rutgers football team, which maybe #1 number of arrests in 2015. Congratulations! As for schedules, yes, Rutgers benefits by being in the B1G instead of the American. Then again, the B1G has 2 ranked schools right now - Rutgers and Penn St, which happens to be the same number that the American has - 2, UConn and USF. Oh, and non-conf games against Loyla Marymont, Drexel, etc. isn't anything to brag about.
Coney...are you talking mens or womans soccer....i'm watching Jason Wright...did they even play UConn...i knew month ago about the woman... RU's wrestling team is ranked 18th preseason..whats yours.....whats the deal with you're seeming animosity Coney...personal....my question mark key is broke,....seems like you have private issues with RU...You could pm me...this is you're board and i don't want to get into personal issues here..i want Uconn in the B1g as you should know....win lose...who cares...Natty's are over rated it seems in CR except in FB but overall big picture Uconn should be in for numerous reasons...you take RU to BC level hate....its so unbecoming to a guy of you're obvious intelligence unless personal..

Reaction Score
Coney...are you talking mens or womans soccer....i'm watching Jason Wright...did they even play UConn...i knew month ago about the woman... RU's wrestling team is ranked 18th preseason..whats yours.....whats the deal with you're seeming animosity Coney...personal....my question mark key is broke,....seems like you have private issues with RU...You could pm me...this is you're board and i don't want to get into personal issues here..i want Uconn in the B1g as you should know....win lose...who cares...Natty's are over rated it seems in CR except in FB but overall big picture Uconn should be in for numerous reasons...you take RU to BC level hate....its so unbecoming to a guy of you're obvious intelligence unless personal..

My only personal issue with Rutgers is that my tax dollars support the disaster of an AD that Rutgers has in Hermann. I have too many neighbors whose kids go to Rutgers to have any ill will towards the university overall. Your initial response appeared to take a shot at a good UConn women's soccer team just because they are in the American and yes, Rutgers did beat UConn earlier in the season. That is what I was defending. If that was not your intent, my apologies.

Reaction Score
My only personal issue with Rutgers is that my tax dollars support the disaster of an AD that Rutgers has in Hermann. I have too many neighbors whose kids go to Rutgers to have any ill will towards the university overall. Your initial response appeared to take a shot at a good UConn women's soccer team just because they are in the American and yes, Rutgers did beat UConn earlier in the season. That is what I was defending. If that was not your intent, my apologies.
Everything is fine Coney...just impatient for you guys to get where you belong so we can keep it to sports on equal footing....all this hating esp by these acc fans like them Va/FSU types can disappear back to their holes...All major state schools NEED to be in.

Reaction Score
John Tuite reporting on the WHUS broadcast of the South Florida game that Nick Zuniga was not honored during Senior Night activities, taking this as a sign that Zuniga will apply for a medical redshirt. If the NCAA approves, then Zuniga would be back in a Husky uniform next season. Zuniga has appeared in four games this season, and I believe his last appearance was in the game at Harvard on September 10. Zuniga has gotten playing time throughout his career at UConn, and was a part time starter last season.

Reaction Score
South Florida ties it up late in the game. UConn needs a win in order to get a home game next week in the AAC quarterfinals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom