Mens Basketball Perfect Again! | The Boneyard

Mens Basketball Perfect Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if the multi year averages are player weighted? So if you had more players one year that average counts more, or would a 9 player score and a 13 player score count the same?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Please don't tell Chief -- quite frankly, I don't want to see him upset.

Reaction Score
It's great to see that APR scores throughout the nation are up! Mark Emmert wasn't kidding when he preached a commitment to academics, somebody give him a raise.

Reaction Score
It's great to see that APR scores throughout the nation are up! Mark Emmert wasn't kidding when he preached a commitment to academics, somebody give him a raise.
Nationally, the NCAA announced higher APR scores across the board, especially in football, up from 951 to 956, and men's basketball, from 957 to 961. Overall, athletic APR scores were up two points from last year, and the number of teams ineligible for postseason as a result of scores lower than 930 will drop from 42 to 21, according to the NCAA.

"More college athletes than ever are succeeding in the classroom," NCAA president Mark Emmert said in a statement, "and I applaud their commitment to academic achievement. We are pleased and proud of their accomplishments. Our goal always has been to encourage students to achieve academically and earn their degrees. Every year, Division I students prove that both academic and athletic success are achievable."

More like all the schools have learned how to work the system, or cheat in UNC's case, to inflate their APR scores.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if the multi year averages are player weighted? So if you had more players one year that average counts more, or would a 9 player score and a 13 player score count the same?
having more scholarship players decreases the impact of each lost retainer points
If you have 9 players
The loss of 2 points would give you an APR of .888
The loss of 2 points at 14 players would be a .928

The four year calculation is simply a moving AVE over a 4 year period
When you have Extra scholarships its not a bad idea to give them to good student walk-ons ,it might keep you out of trouble.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

He would rather receive a large wad of cash from Connecticut taxpayers.

Reaction Score
having more scholarship players decreases the impact of each lost retainer points
If you have 9 players
The loss of 2 points would give you an APR of .888
The loss of 2 points at 14 players would be a .928

The four year calculation is simply a moving AVE over a 4 year period
When you have Extra scholarships its not a bad idea to give them to good student walk-ons ,it might keep you out of trouble.
Thanks that's what I thought. Essentially you would take a double hit for having fewer scholarship players (assuming you would add perfect APR players), your initial score is lower, and then that counts against you more in the average. I think this is one of the biggest risks programs face with scholarship reduction penalties. Essentially it makes each APR point more important.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"More college athletes than ever are succeeding in the classroom," NCAA president Mark Emmert said in a statement, "and I applaud their commitment to academic achievement. We are pleased and proud of their accomplishments. Our goal always has been to encourage students to achieve academically and earn their degrees. Every year, Division I students prove that both academic and athletic success are achievable."

Yuck. Guy just oozes self congratulatory slime.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Does this mean that Rock left in good academic standing? If so, great job Rock!

Reaction Score
Does this mean that Rock left in good academic standing? If so, great job Rock!
No, this is for last year. No word on if the transfers meet the extra special transfer GPA above the normal one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I prefer these threads to preseason practice performances.

Kudos to thend players.

Reaction Score
It was a great idea. And it is working. Clearly our penalty was BS and there could probably be some tweaking of the rules but hard to argue this was a bad way to go.

Reaction Score
We were nabbed, caught with pant down, so now we're proud of qualifying with a perfect score? Glad we qualified but the bar is pretty low to get this done. Academic advisors can pre funnel their suspect students to easy professors and courses. No P5 schools did not qualify. No bad students on any of those teams. Now we pay attention to this so it won't happen again. What are the courses at UCONN that are automatic A's and B's? Is this really about our students are all of a sudden studying harder? don't believe it.

Reaction Score
I do find it a bit odd that everyone spent years (rightly) pointing out that the whole APR scheme is idiotic and not a particularly valid measure of academic performance, and now we're celebrating UConn's performance in that process.

Remember, by this metric Kentucky is getting perfect scores. By the NCAA's standard, Kentucky cannot do better academically than it is currently doing.

I get that UConn has to participate, since it's the NCAA's current measurement scheme, but let's not pretend we didn't all acknowledge that this thing is bull****.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
We were nabbed, caught with pant down, so now we're proud of qualifying with a perfect score? Glad we qualified but the bar is pretty low to get this done. Academic advisors can pre funnel their suspect students to easy professors and courses. No P5 schools did not qualify. No bad students on any of those teams. Now we pay attention to this so it won't happen again. What are the courses at UCONN that are automatic A's and B's? Is this really about our students are all of a sudden studying harder? don't believe it.
We didn't get caught dumba$$, it's self reported - we told on ourselves. It's all Stop but people are happy its not an issue going forward. Turn it around - Should we have done what UNC did and just created bogus grades and classes?

Reaction Score
I do find it a bit odd that everyone spent years (rightly) pointing out that the whole APR scheme is idiotic and not a particularly valid measure of academic performance, and now we're celebrating UConn's performance in that process.

Remember, by this metric Kentucky is getting perfect scores. By the NCAA's standard, Kentucky cannot do better academically than it is currently doing.

I get that UConn has to participate, since it's the NCAA's current measurement scheme, but let's not pretend we didn't all acknowledge that this thing is bull****.

I think most still believe the APR is Stop. They just aren't commenting on this thread because they don't even want to click on it.

Reaction Score
We didn't get caught dumba$$, it's self reported - we told on ourselves. It's all bull but people are happy its not an issue going forward. Turn it around - Should we have done what UNC did and just created bogus grades and classes?
So if we didn't self report, then what, no suspension? We weren't pro active as we should have been with courses and professors. Not as much about studying better than it is about planning and gaming to the system that's been created, bogus as it is. Classes don't have to be bogus to beat this, just easy enough that an 8th grader could pass.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
So if we didn't self report, then what, no suspension? We weren't pro active as we should have been with courses and professors. Not as much about studying better than it is about planning and gaming to the system that's been created, bogus as it is. Classes don't have to be bogus to beat this, just easy enough that an 8th grader could pass.
Sorry was a little testy this morning. It's not that we weren't proactive per se, although Calhoun should bear the blame for that and he did. When students transfer, leave for any reason - not in good standing - then it's a negative to the calcultaion. We had a bunch of transfers and early departures and no one was watching the barn door.

Since we were only school punished twice for the same offense while others were shown more leniance - even the NCAA knows the APR is doggydoo. The NCAA was just pissed at us since Calhoun figured out a way around the initial punishment and had Drummand enroll.

So it's just a sigh of relief that the (stupid it may be) system is working and we won't have to deal with something we never should have had to deal with in the first place..

Reaction Score
Sorry was a little testy this morning. It's not that we weren't proactive per se, although Calhoun should bear the blame for that and he did. When students transfer, leave for any reason - not in good standing - then it's a negative to the calcultaion. We had a bunch of transfers and early departures and no one was watching the barn door.

Since we were only school punished twice for the same offense while others were shown more leniance - even the NCAA knows the APR is doggydoo. The NCAA was just pissed at us since Calhoun figured out a way around the initial punishment and had Drummand enroll.

So it's just a sigh of relief that the (stupid it may be) system is working and we won't have to deal with something we never should have had to deal with in the first place..
No problem, I liked the $$ signs, nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom