Memphis-BYU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Memphis-BYU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How can any of you root for an AAC teams? Any time a school does well in this conference it moves them closer to a P5 invite. Gone are the days of rooting for conference mates. I enjoyed that when we were in the BE but until we get into a P5 conference it's every school for themselves. For all we know this win catapults Memphis into the B12 and leaves us stuck in crap.....honestly, I just can't hope any of our conference mates do well. If we were guaranteed to all be in this dumpster fire for awhile Id cheer or feel good for their win, not the hideous brawl. However, with rumors swirling, I'm kinda bummed they won.

Good point. It is better if the entire conference completely sucks. That will help UConn get into a better league.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That's the kind of unsportsmanlike attitude that helped keep us out of the ACC . Go ahead ....keep it up, lets see how fast the Huskies get invited anywhere. If your part of a group, you band together, you work togfether. All for one and one for all....until you find a way out of it. But... in the mean time you represent like you were where you want to be. That's the high road. That's what gets respect.

As far as the brawl...what a shame. Memphis has a golden opportunity to get respect not only for themselves but for the league and they blow it regardless of what BYU said or did.

So when Cincinnati, UCF and, now, Memphis publicly pimp themselves for a P5 invite, that's okay. When we do it, it's unsportsmanlike? Tell me, did Tom Jurich and UL act in a sportsmanlike manner when they actively politicked their way into the ACC over us? How sportsmanlike is Boston College acting when they want to protect what they think is "their turf"?

CR is every man for himself and always has been. And if Memphis is able to use one friggin' bowl win and a FedEx sugar daddy to line some B12 pockets to gain a P5 spot ahead of us, then I will swear off following this .

Dooley

Reaction Score

Memphis dude - I understand that it's chest-thumping time for you, your fanbase and school. Your turnaround from 2013 to 2014 was truly remarkable and a feat that we all hope UCONN can replicate from 2014 to 2015. Congratulations on that. But what we're talking about here is a disgusting, embarrassing fight that has no place in any sporting event. BYU showed just how poor of a loser they are and Memphis showed just how poor of a winner they are. There is absolutely no other way to summarize what happened.

It really does suck that the fight completely overshadowed what was a thrilling game. When I turn on any sports show, the fight is the highlight that is predominantly shown. Not much/any of the game action. And that is truly sad.

Reaction Score
Memphis dude - I understand that it's chest-thumping time for you, your fanbase and school. Your turnaround from 2013 to 2014 was truly remarkable and a feat that we all hope UCONN can replicate from 2014 to 2015. Congratulations on that. But what we're talking about here is a disgusting, embarrassing fight that has no place in any sporting event. BYU showed just how poor of a loser they are and Memphis showed just how poor of a winner they are. There is absolutely no other way to summarize what happened.

It really does suck that the fight completely overshadowed what was a thrilling game. When I turn on any sports show, the fight is the highlight that is predominantly shown. Not much/any of the game action. And that is truly sad.

I cannot ever imagine chest thumping over a share of an AAC title or a Miami Beach Bowl win. Add in the embarrassing fight and it's just impossible to understand this guy's mindset.

Reaction Score
Memphis did beat BYU...they lost to the P5 teams on their schedule (good teams, though).

When Boise beat Oklahoma, it got them a lot of attention... beat a P5 team that is in the upper half of their conference standings and folks notice...do it twice and it's not a fluke.

Reaction Score
Amazing the stand that some are taking here.

I think that very few things scream "STUPID" about any individual football player, more than starting to throw fists at another player wearing all that gear, but it is what it is.

I'd be more than happy, to have a 10-3 record, a bowl game win played in Miami Beach, and bunch of idiot players to sort out as to who the dumbest of the dumb are choosing to throw fists at another player wearing all that gear. More likely to break your own hand, than inflict anything to anyone else.

Congrats to Memphis, I don't remember if we have them on the schedule next season, but if we do, I hope we kick the crap out of them, to the point they are so frustrated they choose to throw fists and break their own hands. Hope is a good thing, it's all we got.

Reaction Score
BYU was very chippy , late hitting when we played them. Some were actually saying that they play dirty. I thought so. Sad for a religious school.

Is that because of the way mendenhall coaches? Glad we didn't have to spend a week with that team.

BYU has had that rep for a long time, not specific to mendenhall. Not quite blatant dirty, unless you're talking to Utah or Utah State people, but definitely head up, guard up, watch yourself kind of football.

They just play a style of football, that is very much old school violence, that as an independent, they've never been reigned in with competition rules in any conference, and they don't play the big name programs like a Notre Dame does annually, where they are going to be called out on it. The closest it came, recently was when a BYU defense player gave an opposing QB a head shot in a bowl game - I think it was last season or the year before - but it blew over. Same thing wouldn't happen if it was a Notre Dame player hitting Jameis Winston.

The same kinds of things can be said about Army and Navy football. you better watch your legs when you're playing the academies, because they're coming for them on offense and defense. I'ts not dirty football, but it's dangerous football, and players get hurt. As independants, they don't have conference rules committee's to deal with.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
"Congrats to Memphis, I don't remember if we have them on the schedule next season, but if we do, I hope we kick the crap out of them, to the point they are so frustrated they choose to throw fists and break their own hands. Hope is a good thing, it's all we got."

no such luck, Memphis will play:

Ole Miss
Missouri State
@Kansas
@BGSU
Cincy
Navy
SMU
Tulane
@Tulsa
@USF
@Houston
@Temple

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I cannot ever imagine chest thumping over a share of an AAC title or a Miami Beach Bowl win. Add in the embarrassing fight and it's just impossible to understand this guy's mindset.

Tought words from a fan of the worst team in the league.

When we win the AAC, I'll be thrilled.

Reaction Score
Tought words from a fan of the worst team in the league.

When we win the AAC, I'll be thrilled.

There is a distinct difference between being happy about winning the league and going over to some other team's board to thump your chest after the team embarrassed your school. I know that you enjoy going to other team's boards but I'm not that lonely.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
There is a distinct difference between being happy about winning the league and going over to some other team's board to thump your chest after the team embarrassed your school. I know that you enjoy going to other team's boards but I'm not that lonely.

Got that Christmas spirit going, eh?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That's the kind of unsportsmanlike attitude that helped keep us out of the ACC . .

Swofford: "Next up for discussion: UConn. World class university. Large tv market. National championships over the past decade in at least 4 different sports. Large athletic department revenue and multiple revenue streams, such as IMG and Nike. We're going to pass on them, fellas."

Swofford's Assistant: "Well, why are we going to pass on them, John?"

Swofford: "It's just...I really don't like the way they shake hands after the game, you know what I mean?"

:rolleyes:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
How does a thread on a Memphis-BYU bowl game have this many posts on a UCONN board?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
YOU DON'T GO ONTO THE FORMER SITE OF THE OB AND GO AT THE TIGERS LIKE THAT! NOT AT THE FORMER OB!

Reaction Score
The same kinds of things can be said about Army and Navy football. you better watch your legs when you're playing the academies, because they're coming for them on offense and defense. I'ts not dirty football, but it's dangerous football, and players get hurt. As independants, they don't have conference rules committee's to deal with.

My memory may not be entirely clear; but, I seem to recall the game UConn played at army (and won) in the early 200's when an Army player swung way around the pack on a kick-off and blew-up UConn's kicker behind after the play was over while the kicker was jogging to the sidelines. No penalty though as no one saw it except for the folks in the end zone where I was sitting.

Dooley

Reaction Score
My memory may not be entirely clear; but, I seem to recall the game UConn played at army (and won) in the early 200's when an Army player swung way around the pack on a kick-off and blew-up UConn's kicker behind after the play was over while the kicker was jogging to the sidelines. No penalty though as no one saw it except for the folks in the end zone where I was sitting.

I completely remember that play at West Point. I watched the Army kid line up our kicker and drill him blindside style. No flag but that play definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom